Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Post TMJ4: John Hammond

John Hammond and the Bucks organization is not looking at the second pick as if they lost the first pick. They're still looking at it as a victory.

"I still will say that the worse case scenario would have been for us to drop as far as four, and if that would have happened we still would have been comfortable," Hammond told 620 WTMJ's Greg Matzek. "But obviously the higher you are, the better you're going to feel, the more strength the pick has as far as value, etc."

In the past, the Bucks tried to find difference makers in free agency and tried to stay competitive. The Bucks' general manager says he is on the same page with the team's new owners about how they need to go about acquiring a star player.

"Look, for us to get that difference maker, by far the greatest odds are it coming through the draft," Hammond said. "You can look, the last bit of significance, real significance, that this organization had, and it was probably a shorter window than people wanted… In that season, they had two players on that roster, the number one pick in Glenn Robinson, and the number five pick in Ray Allen."

In regards to the team's possible picks in this year's draft, Hammond said they understand how the workout process will go.

"We'll have them all in," Hammond said. "We're excited about that. There's always a trend. Those guys don't start their workouts until closer to the draft. We're in constant contact with their representatives. They've all been extremely cooperative, so we're looking forward to having them all in."

Hammond admits that he has to impress the new owners, and that he doesn't know where he will end up in the future. He openly said that this is an exciting time for Bucks fans and the city of Milwaukee.

"I don't know how long I'm going to be a part of this organization, I hope for a long time, but this is an extremely exciting, and it's going to be a great time for the Milwaukee Bucks and Milwaukee Bucks basketball," Hammond said. "This is going to change, and it's going to change in a very drastic way. These guys are committed, and they're committed to doing this the right way."
    http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/wi-sports/mi...262459081.html

vCash
    I'm not sure how much say the owners have in public appearances and interviews and things, but Hammonds has really been making the circuits quite a bit. There was a day awhile back where basically every local and a couple national stations had either Hammond or one of the new owners on. You would think if they guy really is scared for his job, he wouldn't be out there representing the organization as much. Again, I'm not sure how much say the owners have, or if its strictly his decisions to do those interviews, but something tells me he has at least a year to really prove himself yet. If you're really trusting him with the pick, why not trust him for the extra offseason. we dont' have a ton of roster room, so he probably won't be making any crippling signings so I would tend to believe he'd be around for the year.

That could be me reading into things too much, but disappointing none the less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I'm not sure how much say the owners have in public appearances and interviews and things, but Hammonds has really been making the circuits quite a bit. There was a day awhile back where basically every local and a couple national stations had either Hammond or one of the new owners on. You would think if they guy really is scared for his job, he wouldn't be out there representing the organization as much. Again, I'm not sure how much say the owners have, or if its strictly his decisions to do those interviews, but something tells me he has at least a year to really prove himself yet. If you're really trusting him with the pick, why not trust him for the extra offseason. we dont' have a ton of roster room, so he probably won't be making any crippling signings so I would tend to believe he'd be around for the year.

That could be me reading into things too much, but disappointing none the less.
    I don't have the link but I remember someone saying that Hammond and Morway have a year. I think it's the same for Larry Drew.

vCash
    Please dump Drew. I actually like Hammond though and hope he stays.

vCash
    I think Hammond should stay. I think its impossible for us to know how his effectiveness over the last couple years was impacted by having Kohl and co. breathing down his neck. He's actually pretty well respected in league circles apparently, so let's give him a chance to see what he can do unchained by 8th seed expectations.

It's going to be pretty hard to mess up this draft with each of the top 3 players being defensible at #2. And if you're going to trust him to handle the evaluations in this important of a draft, you should probably at least give him a little while to implement the new vision for the team.

Larry Drew should go though, that's a complete different story.

vCash
    If only we could dump drew and get hollins

vCash
    I didn't particularly like the Drew selection from day 1. But I like Hammonds, Herbie tied him up a little on some of the trades he wanted to do, including trading Ersan.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    With Herbie gone. Sounds like Hammond trying to work his magic to get into top #5 to #9 range.

vCash
    Skip Hollins, I don't want to have a slow-paced, defensive-minded team (ala Skiles era). I'd prefer Mark Jackson over him honestly but we probably won't have a coaching change this year regardless.