Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Are coaching salaries getting too crazy?

Kerr just signed for 5 mil per: NEVER COACHED A GAME!

Derek Fisher just signed: 5 years X 25 million. No 'experience', though he's been coaching/mentoring for years now.

Fisher, on a side note, will make nearly HALF of what he made in 20 years as a player in 5 years as a coach. He is getting paid almost double his annual salary of just over 3 million a year.

SVG is getting SEVEN MILLION per year, making him the HIGHEST paid coach in the league and he's never even won a ring. Though he is POBBO as well (though Pop was doing that early in his career in SA and winning rings and wasn't making half that).

Putting this into context:

Pop: 4 rings + 6 final appearances makes 6 million per and has been coaching over 20 years.

Doc is making 7 (as much as SVG) and has been to the finals twice and has a ring.

Thibs, who is considered among the very best coaches in the league, makes > 5 million.

And Spo, who is the ONLY active coach to lead a team to 4 straight finals appearances, only makes 3 million (less than half of SVG). He's got 2 rings and 4 finals appearances in six years and is averaging over 50 wins a season on his career! Which is pretty good considering he took over a lottery team his first year and his second year was playing on a roster where all the contract were cleared out to make room to sigh LBJ and Bosh.

These coaches salaries are out of WACK! I think Fisher is a good investment, don't get me wrong. If there was one player in the league over the last 20 years I thought would make a great coach, it's Fisher. But... WOW! How did the market price for a coach shoot up so far?
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 06-09-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    That's the going rate now.

If those guys you mentioned are FA's, they'd get more than what Fisher, SVG, Kerr is getting.

vCash
    Pops gives SA a hometown discount. No different than his players.

If Pops went on the open market, what do you think he'd really command? Easily $7-10M+.

And why do we care what coaches get paid? It's still a fraction of the salary of the best players on the team, and it doesn't influence the cap. Heck, it's often less than MLE money and that barely gets you a decent rotation player.

Let's also not forget that not all coaching gigs are the same. The size of the market impacts the money available, as well as the desirability of the gig. Part of why Spoelstra makes less is because if the job was vacant there would be a line going out through the door of quality Head Coaches that would want the job.

Supply and demand. High quality coaches can drive up the salary simply because there's not a lot of them. And high quality rosters can drive down the salary for the job since the best coaches prefer to go to teams that are ready versus jumping into a rebuilding gig.

Anyway, it doesn't affect a team's cap space and it comes out of the pockets of the billionaires, so why should I care?
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    I don't care what coaches are paid. Just don't go crying during the lockout that you are losing money because you are paying Laurence Frank, Mo Cheeks, and SVG all at the same time, in the case of Detroit. Or Byron Scott, Mike Brown, and "unknown" all at the same time, which will be the Cavs.

These are just 2 current examples of middle/small market teams blowing money because they are inept at running a front office.

vCash
    I don't feel sorry for pop that's his choice to take six mil per and there's nothing wrong with what he makes or other coach for that matter; its up to the owner what they want pay out.

vCash
    If anything there underpaid. You got rookie players getting paid more then The average nba coach. If anything it's the ncaa coaches that are overpaid to a certain extent and the players not getting a dime. Now that's a travesty
    "I'm an artist.

Dolan focusing on his music career is the best thing to happen to the Knicks in 15 years.

vCash
    When you're a team is a small market team, you always will find yourself overpaying, whether it come as free agents or staff.

vCash
    Also with teams firing coaches left to right even with 50 win season can you blame rookie and vet coaches to want more security?
    "I'm an artist.

Dolan focusing on his music career is the best thing to happen to the Knicks in 15 years.

vCash
    Fisher shall get a 3-year contract--3 million per year.
    But Phil can not afford to lose another candidate again. He has to up the ante.

vCash

Are coaching salaries getting too crazy?

Yeah it's getting ridiculous. At the end of the day if will result in added pressure and more firing IMO

vCash
    Yes it's a lot. But who cares? It's not like it affects the cap space or something. If the owners want to cough up serious cash for a coach, who can stop them?

vCash
    If Pop became a free agent and went to the highest bidder I could easily see 12-15 a year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrfadeawayJB View Post
    Yeah it's getting ridiculous. At the end of the day if will result in added pressure and more firing IMO
    It will also resort in new coaches trying to extort a franchise's desperation.

If I'm Stan Van Gundy, and I just watched the Pistons fire John Kuester, Lawrence Frank, and Mo Cheeks all in consecutive years... I know they are desperate at this point. Nobody credible wanted that job.

vCash
    It doesnt affect the cap, just the owners pockets.

I dont think it really matters at all.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    seriously,we're gonna complain about that now? i mean,why do you care,its not hindering your fav team in anyway(doesnt affect the cap)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast