Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Calapari turns down Cavs offer of 7 years 60 million

Cavaliers’ owner Dan Gilbert isn’t afraid to make bold moves or spend money on his team. Whether he does either of those things wisely is up for debate, but he will be aggressive.

And he was very aggressive going after Kentucky’s John Calipari to be the next Cavalier’s coach, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (with Brett Dawson of Rivals).

Before finalizing a contract extension with the University of Kentucky late last week, John Calipari had gone deep in discussions with the Cleveland Cavaliers on a seven-year, $60 million-plus contract to become president and coach, sources told Yahoo Sports….

Gilbert and Calipari had discussed a package in the range of $8 million-plus a year, sources said, and it wasn’t until midweek that Calipari finally rejected Cleveland and fully committed to his seven-year, $52 million extension at Kentucky.

That would have given Calipari the same power and control that Doc Rivers has with the Clippers and Stan Van Gundy has with the Pistons — but Calipari would have made more per year than either of them.

Cleveland has some interesting pieces. They have Kyrie Irving (up for an extension to his rookie contract this summer) and they have the No. 1 overall pick in this draft (expected to be Andrew Wiggins or Joel Embiid). New GM David Griffin will have to dig out of a series of reaches from previous drafts that have not panned out as well (Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett) but if the hardest part of assembling a team is getting the All-Star cornerstones the Cavaliers have that part.

Calipari was the coach and president of the New Jersey Nets for three seasons in the 1990s but was fired.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...y-at-kentucky/

vCash
    Damn, that's a butt-load of money to turn down.

vCash
    Jesus Christ, Cleveland.

That would have made him the highest paid coach in all of American sports, I believe.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    good for both sides that it didnt happen.thats way too much money,years and power to be handing over to calipari;and the difference between the cavs deal and his new uk deal is only 8mil,but he gets to continue to treated as a god there and gets to continue to ride top recruits without actually coaching

vCash

That's a lot of money to turn down. I wonder what the reasoning behind Calapari turning down this offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
    That's a lot of money to turn down. I wonder what the reasoning behind Calapari turning down this offer.
    Less pressure in college sports

she says go for the championship

vCash
    7 years 52 million at Kentucky. If he likes it there it's not like he's turning down too much money to stay. That's a tad over a million a year, which isn't chump change, but yeah...he clearly enjoys it at Kentucky and he's always going to be set up for success there.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    I think Calapari is such a chicken. The pros is where become a legend. The Cavs have plenty of assets. Instead he is just staying where its safe and he can continue to get all the best one and done players in college.

vCash
    the money is fairly close and there is a great chance of failure and having the fanbase/media/front office turning on him,at uk he's a god/above criticism and always has a pipeline of top blue chippers every year.its the same reason why coach k never left eventhough he was pursued heavily by nba teams and donavan backed out of the magic deal
    Last edited by abe_froman; 06-09-2014 at 03:45 PM.

vCash
    NBA coaching sources have told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the Cleveland Cavaliers' recent pitch to Kentucky coach John Calipari was actually a 10-year offer worth nearly $80 million and included the role of coach and team president.
    lolcavs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I think Calapari is such a chicken. The pros is where become a legend. The Cavs have plenty of assets. Instead he is just staying where its safe and he can continue to get all the best one and done players in college.
    Ehhh...I think that's a reach.

Is Donovan a chicken? Coach K? Roy Williams? Izzo? No. They just all like what they have. Who says they have to take the challenge? Their careers certainly already speak for themselves.

Perhaps they just really like working with college kids? Perhaps they really like the recruiting aspect...or the mentor aspect? The NBA is a whole different beast, with a lot of cons to it. I don't think it's cowardice. If you have a job you like that's paying you a ton and you're set up for long term success, why leave? It's not a game, it's his profession. Do what makes you most happy.

And college coaches absolutely can become legends. Wooden, Knight, Rupp, Coach K, Smith etc. College coaches get A LOT of credit, attention and lore.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post

Is Donovan a chicken? Coach K? Roy Williams? Izzo? No. They just all like what they have. Who says they have to take the challenge? Their careers certainly already speak for themselves.

Perhaps they just really like working with college kids? Perhaps they really like the recruiting aspect...or the mentor aspect? The NBA is a whole different beast, with a lot of cons to it. I don't think it's cowardice. If you have a job you like that's paying you a ton and you're set up for long term success, why leave? It's not a game, it's his profession. Do what makes you most happy.

And college coaches absolutely can become legends. Wooden, Knight, Rupp, Coach K, Smith etc. College coaches get A LOT of credit, attention and lore.
    Agreed. The Calipari legacy/brand will be much better continuing to do work in KY than it would be to coach one of the ugliest franchises in all of sports where winning is a major long shot for one reason only - nobody wants to play there.

Coach K is one of the most highly regarded coaches in basketball. Sticking to the college ranks isn't a knock on anyones legacy. I mean Dean Smith, John Wooden, Coach K, Calhoun, Izzo, Boehim and those guys are regarded more highly in the NBA community that 90% of the coaches who have ever graced the NBA sidelines.

vCash

Cal is in a great situation at Kentucky. They won't get rid of him anytime soon and I don't think the man pays for a meal in the state of Kentucky

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post

Thank you for saving me the time on that ridiculous post.

vCash
    Winning championships on a top historical team, or join the Cavs?

McGOAT

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast