Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The Derek Jeter Dilemma

Well, it keeps popping up in almost every game thread and others......the demise of our hero is apparent.

Last year, I dreaded the thought of Mo regressing and getting bombed, but he was obviously a superhero. This year, part two of that dread has reared its ugly head w Derek.

It really has nothing to do with his batting average' but how feeble his at bats are and how many throws are off target. It's sad to watch.

We all know Girardi can't bench or drop him, so the obvious Hero Move is for Derek to drop himself in the order and play less often, at his request.

It would be the icing on the cake of team player and winner.

Thoughts?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Mike Axisa of RAB said that he'd bat Jeter lead-off instead of 2nd. This way they can bunch up their 4-5 best hitters in a row.
    Bat Jeter Leadoff

Letís state the obvious here: Derek Jeter hasnít hit a lick this year. Heís managed a .254/.312/.300 (71 wRC+) batting line through 234 plate appearances and ranks dead last out of 167 qualified hitters with a .047 ISO. Even Ben Revere has hit for more power. According to Baseball Savant, Jeter has seen the highest rate of pitches over 90 mph (55.2%) among players with at least 100 at-bats, and against those pitches he has the lowest ISO (.019!) and the fifth lowest batting average (.235) in baseball. Opponents know he canít hit fastballs so theyíre throwing the ball right by him. Itís sorta embarrassing at this point.

And yet, because heís Derek Jeter, heís batted second all season and heíll continue to bat second going forward. The Yankees have made it clear they wonít do anything to upset their captain ó remember when they gave him a raise for no apparent reason over the winter? that was weird ó and at least part of that is due to the fact that his retirement tour is a cash cow. Attendance, ratings, and merchandise sales would take a hit if Jeter is given a lesser role. The Yankees are all about winning, as long as it doesnít upset Jeter or hurt their bottom line.

So, the club is stuck batting him in a prime lineup spot. Thatís reality and itís been made very clear. To make the best of a bad situation, the Yankees should move Jeter up a lineup spot, from second to leadoff. Why? Because it would allow them to bunch their four best hitters together. Rather than having the unproductive Jeter splinter Brett Gardner and Jacoby Ellsbury in the lineup, they could bat him leadoff, then go with Gardner in the two spot ahead of Ellsbury, Mark Teixeira, and Yangervis Solarte.

Because the Yankees donít hit for any power ó theyíve hit four homers in their last 13 games, four! ó they have to string together base hits and walks to score runs. The best possible way to do that is to bunch your best hitters together in the lineup, not spread them out. All youíre doing is adding outs to the equation by spreading them out and that reduces the chances of scoring. Bat Jeter leadoff, get his at-bat out of the way, then give the teamís four best hitters a chance to do some damage. Donít try to include him in the rally because heís shown these last 62 games he canít help offensively.
    1,2,4 are the most important slots in the batting order though and I don't like having an inept offensive player at any of those spots but Jeter is a special case. He has to realize that he's hurting the team and talk to Girardi about moving him down. Easier said than done though. Jeter has a pretty big ego.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Agreed but man ....imagine the adulation he'd get if he did that.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Drop him to 8 or 9
    Bat ells and gardy 1,2 in either order
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Drop him to 8 or 9
    Bat ells and gardy 1,2 in either order
    Who is this ells and gardy u speak of?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Who is this ells and gardy u speak of?
    Jacobywon kinobee and wayne brettzky
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Jacobywon kinobee and wayne brettzky
    Thought so.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    He had got to realize it at some point that he is no where near productive. I'm assuming at the all star break that if he isn't producing he should take the initiative and suggest to be brought down in the line up.

Jeters ego is the only obstacle, he's been abysmal and your right his at bats look putrid. No solid contact and bleh defense. It's sad to see him go out this way but something needs to be done if we want to compete at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joseph aka Jman View Post
    He had got to realize it at some point that he is no where near productive. I'm assuming at the all star break that if he isn't producing he should take the initiative and suggest to be brought down in the line up.

Jeters ego is the only obstacle, he's been abysmal and your right his at bats look putrid. No solid contact and bleh defense. It's sad to see him go out this way but something needs to be done if we want to compete at all.
    I expect this to happen the same way Jorge Posada gracefully accepted his demotion to the #8 spot.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    Yeah your right it's too bad though. We take farewell tours and making even more gobs of money then doing what's best for the team. It's the yankee way I guess

vCash
    Is it blasphemy that another farewell tour right after Mo makes it less interesting to me?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    If Girardi or Derek doesn't do something drastic now the team will be buried for the AL East Title...the one game playoff is still there but who really wants to play in that game?

On the flip side if Beltran, Soriano, McCann, Roberts don't start hitting does it really matter where Derek bats in the lineup?
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I expect this to happen the same way Jorge Posada gracefully accepted his demotion to the #8 spot.

Derek has a little more pull than Jorge....

He will never demote himself until it is too late.....
    Nick

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Is it blasphemy that another farewell tour right after Mo makes it less interesting to me?
    Not at all. Mo's position was one of drama. He didn't pitch every day and played one inning at time. And he was still dominant. Every time he came in to pitch, we knew how lucky we were and we knew he was irreplaceable.

Jeter's is a position of consistency and calm. He made dramatic plays but it was like he was sleepwalking when he did it. We know we will miss him but in a way we are used to him being there and not really noticing him. I mean that as a compliment.
    Because he plays so frequently, we can see his shortcomings more clearly. That makes us uncomfortable because we know the team is better with him being out of his usual place and it's sad to have that realization.

In short, I think this is why Mo was more enticing of a retirement season.
    Mo= Apollo in Rocky 4 or Jesse the Body in Predator. -We kew with a chance they could have still saved the day
    Jeter= Old yeller. --Had to do it because he'll turn on you eventually and take the whole family with him

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    The world according to a clown is interesting.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast