Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The McCann file

vCash

The McCann file

When he was signed I thought the Yankees made a tremendous move....We told he was going to resemble Thurman Munson with his leadership qualities, his lefthanded stroke would play well at The Stadium....so where is this guy?

He is dead last in SLG of the 13 catchers who qualify with minimum of at bats...Dead last!

We have 4 more years with him as our catcher...it is soooo early in his career with the Yankees so he still has plenty of time to change this lost season around....I remember back in 2002 when Jason Giambi was going thru the same thing and hit a grandslam in extra innings on a rainy night in NY..He woke up and had a great year in 2002...I hope Brian has a similar kickstart!

Thoughts?
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    When he was signed I thought the Yankees made a tremendous move....We told he was going to resemble Thurman Munson with his leadership qualities, his lefthanded stroke would play well at The Stadium....so where is this guy?

He is dead last in SLG of the 13 catchers who qualify with minimum of at bats...Dead last!

We have 4 more years with him as our catcher...it is soooo early in his career with the Yankees so he still has plenty of time to change this lost season around....I remember back in 2002 when Jason Giambi was going thru the same thing and hit a grandslam in extra innings on a rainy night in NY..He woke up and had a great year in 2002...I hope Brian has a similar kickstart!

Thoughts?
    4000 PAs tells us a lot more about a player than 200 do.

He should be fine.

vCash
    He does seem to be doing well with his pitchers and still receives the ball well, but obviously that is not what really landed him his contract. His offense has been atrocious, and I am sure that he knows it, and we are well past the point that we can say its still early in the season. However, it is very, very unlikely that he will continue to flash such an anemic bat, especially in Yankee Stadium 3.0. The contract is signed, there's no backing out. All we can do is hope that, like most players, he will bounce back to normal at some point. Patient grumbling seems to be our best course of action.

vCash
    McCann is pretty much what I expected, low BA with some pop. Some regression had to be expected. He's not 25 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    4000 PAs tells us a lot more about a player than 200 do.

He should be fine.
    Yeah, because including a player's prime years is a true indicator of how well he'll do after he hits 30.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    McCann is pretty much what I expected, low BA with some pop. Some regression had to be expected. He's not 25 anymore.

Yeah, because including a player's prime years is a true indicator of how well he'll do after he hits 30.
    I know. It's so stupid to use a player's entire career to judge how he might turn around his bad hitting so far.
    He's 30, not 35. More than likely he will fix his issues especially if he stops trying to always pull the ball
    Last edited by goingfor28; 06-09-2014 at 10:22 AM.

I meese you Señor Rodriguez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    more

vCash
    He hadn't batted over .270 since 2009. Has never hit over 24 hr.

He is what he is. .240/20/75
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Many players have diminished numbers the first year into a big contract in a new city. It's the extra scrutiny, just like this, that often causes them to put extra pressure on themselves. Even at this pace, he's a vast improvement from what the Yankees got from the position last year!

vCash
    Brian McCann: Career/5-Year/3-Year/1-Year Tracking

McCann (2005-2013): 0.277/0.350/0.473/0.823 – 3.2 fWAR per Season
    McCann (2009-2013): 0.262/0.343/0.453/0.797 – 3.5 fWAR per Season
    McCann (2011-2013): 0.252/0.329/0.441/0.770 – 2.7 fWAR per Season
    McCann (2013): 0.256/0.336/0.461/0.796 – 2.7 fWAR

Looks like a solid hitter with some power who should be able to deliver a 2.5-3.0 fWAR season depending on health and playing time.

McCann is struggling on offense right now but still playing solid defense behind the plate; this season is starting to look a lot like his 2012 campaign however.

Still have faith in him going forward; slumps happen as do bad BABIP seasons.
    We’re pointing out that these statistics breed false narratives, and we value the truth. This isn’t about replacing old numbers with new numbers, or attempting to dissuade anyone from enjoying the aesthetics of the game. It is simply about telling the average fan about the reality of what actually happened on the field. The “Holy Trinity” of baseball statistics fail at this most basic task, and so they are not worth deifying any longer. - Dave Cameron

vCash
    If people really want to focus on the failures of Yankee stars, dare I even point out how poorly Jeter is doing late in close games? It's been almost an automatic out! I knew it was bad, but I was surprised to see he's hitting just .120 late in close games. It drops to .111 in extra innings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees27 View Post
    If people really want to focus on the failures of Yankee stars, dare I even point out how poorly Jeter is doing late in close games? It's been almost an automatic out! I knew it was bad, but I was surprised to see he's hitting just .120 late in close games. It drops to .111 in extra innings.
    152nd out of 167 qualified hitters in wRC+
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=17,a

vCash
    Jeter has 2 solidly hit balls in the last 11 games according to some stat.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    I am hoping that my preseason prediction is wrong... but living in an NL city, I have seen this guy more often and he's not been the same guy the last few years...

I'm hoping his issues currently are a combination of A. Trying to hard to impress new city of fans... B. Moving from NL to AL, he's dealing with different pitchers and it will take him a bit to get used to the different pitchers.

his D have been very good... Now if only we can keep a few pitchers healthy.... that would help this team a bunch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees27 View Post
    It is not a focus on failing Yankee stars. He is a new player who was supposed to provide offense to a team that struggled in 2013. In 2014 the offense is the exact same as 2013. When a team is struggling to score runs usually there are culprits. McCann happens to be an offensive catcher and has been a huge disappointment at the plate. Yankee Stadium was suppose to provide him with more home runs and run production. So far he seems overwhelmed.
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Jeter has 2 solidly hit balls in the last 11 games according to some stat.
    Yup

I could maybe do that

I meese you Señor Rodriguez

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast