Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Leshoure doing what he can to take on a bigger role

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...s_hell_be.html

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions tailback Mikel Leshoure got just two carries last season, which means there's pretty much no where to go but up.

And he anticipates that's exactly what's going to happen.

"I can't tell you (what my role will be) during OTAs, but it looks like I'll be involved a little more that last year so far," Leshoure told MLive this week. "As far as the role, I don't know. That could change weekly. But I think I'll be more involved than last year obviously."

Leshoure was drafted in the second round by the Lions in 2011 and was the team's leading rusher in 2012. But he fell out of favor last year following the signing of Reggie Bush emergence of Joique Bell, and even the sixth-round selection of Theo Riddick.

He is hoping a new staff with a fresh approach -- one noted for its use of multiple tailbacks -- will spur his return to the lineup.

"It's a new beginning," he said. "It's a lot of running plays. (Coordinator Joe Lombardi) comes from New Orleans, where backs rotated a lot. We know we're going to run the ball here, and I'm excited by the opportunity."

Leshoure could have a tough fight ahead of him. Bush and Bell are entrenched as the 1-2 combo atop the depth chart, and Lombardi has hailed Riddick as one of the standouts of OTAs.

Riddick also contributes as a core special teams member, which could work against Leshoure's candidacy for a bigger role.

But Leshoure is committed to retaking a role in the offense. That includes showing up at OTAs in some of the best shape of his career.

He says he's cut out sweets and fried food and no longer eats after 8 p.m. He says he's leaner than ever and that has given him some extra pop.

"I'm not eating too late. Just cutting back on sweets and bad stuff I used to have in my diet," Leshoure said. "Nothing major has changed. Just eliminating what you're not supposed to have, like sweets and fried foods and things like that. Late-night snacking is like 10 o'clock to me. You don't need to eat past 8."

LFLOL & LFFS after secretly glancing at the ***** forum
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    let me ask you guys:

I personally hope he has a HUGE year this year.

Do you guys suspect that Schwartz was simply being a dick and benched him, not for lack of talent, but rather to make a lesson out of him?

If so how do you think LeShoure does this year?

vCash
    He was good on the goal line 2 years ago. If that's all he ends up being, then I wouldn't be terribly upset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    let me ask you guys:

I personally hope he has a HUGE year this year.

Do you guys suspect that Schwartz was simply being a dick and benched him, not for lack of talent, but rather to make a lesson out of him?

If so how do you think LeShoure does this year?
    He wasn't that good in 2012. He tiptoed too much instead of using his strength/power. Maybe he's better now as he is more recovered from his injury (idk) but Schwartz had legit reason to not use him last year. Bell was simply a much better player.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Not being a fat piece of **** is a step in the right direction.

Fish Pasty

vCash
    don't you guys remember Leshoure saying something to the media, then boom, he doesn't play anymore…. maybe I'm thinking of someone else?

vCash
    I still have pretty high hopes that he can be a decent back (not sure if it will be with us unfortunately), He was a year removed from the ACL (right? acl?) and still played ok, Two years of working out and no injuries he could easily have gotten his burst back and hopefully learned to take what you can get from his RB coaches

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    don't you guys remember Leshoure saying something to the media, then boom, he doesn't play anymore…. maybe I'm thinking of someone else?
    Wasn't the rumor that he was requesting a trade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    I still have pretty high hopes that he can be a decent back (not sure if it will be with us unfortunately), He was a year removed from the ACL (right? acl?) and still played ok, Two years of working out and no injuries he could easily have gotten his burst back and hopefully learned to take what you can get from his RB coaches
    Torn Achilles..which can actually be worse than an ACL. Something like only 35% of NFL players come back from that injury I think.

2013 Lions forum rookie poster of the year!

vCash
    You know who this kind of reminds me of? James Starks, we were all like, eff this dude, he dances and this and that but last year he was basically the 4th RB at the opening of camp and the threat of losing his job made him play possessed and everything clicked all the way to a 5.5YPC season.

Leshoure has enough talent for that IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye! Bring forth the possibly real and possibly imaginary poll.

Oops, I wasn't bull****ting.

vCash
    I remember someone in the main saying we should pickup Steven Jackson (before we signed bush) I said that LeShoure was the same type of back and about the same quality at this point in their careers... I wish Leshoure would have had a chance to play and prove it... I know i got ripped apart for the comment in the main

vCash
    The major problem he had under Linehan's offense was he couldn't catch the ball. You can't catch in a pass happy offense? Guess you're not getting any playing time. He couldn't play special teams either which is why Riddick was the 3rd RB dressed on Sundays. Now that we're trying to move towards a more balanced offense I can see them giving him a look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    I remember someone in the main saying we should pickup Steven Jackson (before we signed bush) I said that LeShoure was the same type of back and about the same quality at this point in their careers... I wish Leshoure would have had a chance to play and prove it... I know i got ripped apart for the comment in the main
    NFL running backs fall into a few categories:

Studs - 5% of the league
    Game ready backs - 50% of the league
    Good for a few carries a game, max - 35% of the league
    Rookies who need to learn the playbook - 10% of the league

Too many times, people get caught up in past performances. SJax is not a stud anymore. Leshoure is not a rookie. Given the same number of carries in the same situations, I'm sure they'd post similar numbers. Sure, Steven Jackson could maybe pop in an extra TD or 2, because experience does count for something. On the flipside though, fresh legs are a big plus too.

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    I hope they use him a decent amount and try to trade him at the deadline, I highly doubt he would resign here (if we could even afford to keep him with the other two) so showcase him 10 carries a game and try to get a 3rd/4th outta him

vCash
    I hope he gets some field time, but his lack of pass catching ability will hurt him(and may be the reason he gets cut), everyone ahead of him is a better catcher. Bush, Bell, and now praise about Owens. I honestly don't see him making the team.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast