Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Around the League: Off-Season Edition

I'm creating this thread so we'll be able to discuss other teams without having it crowd over into our own teams business. By creating this, I'm hoping it'll spark some discussion throughout this forum. I understand it's the off-season, but man this place is dead. We should be talking about something. There may not be a lot to talk about for just one team in the off-season, but when you combine every team in the NFL, you'll find something.

For starters, we could discuss sleeper teams. What I consider to be a sleeper team is a team that was below average to average at best the previous year that could potentially be a serious contender. Now you can view a sleeper team however you want to, that's just how I view it. For examples, two years ago Seattle was my sleeper team. Last year it was Carolina. This year, as of now, I don't really see a team that can make as big of an impact as these two teams did the previous years. There's a lot of teams that were bad last year that I think have very good potential which should make for a fun WC race in both conferences.

We could also talk about what players we love coming into the year, as well as players we think fall off a cliff in terms of production. For example, Andre Ellington for me. I think he's going to have an amazing year both running and receiving. He's a capable pass blocker as well. I'm ridiculously high on this guy and believe he could be a prime Chris Johnson type, but a better runner. As far as defense goes, I'm unfortunately going to have to go with a Patriots player. Jamie Collins. This kid was phenomenal when he got serious playing time last year as only a rookie. He should only continue to get better.

Or even what units we expect to be very good. For me, it has to be the Redskins offense. There's a lot of concern among the OL. But I just really like the pieces in this offense with a fully healthy, 100% Robert Griffin. The pieces aren't even what I'm most excited about, though. It's their new coach, Jay Gruden. I don't know if a top 10 offense is realistic, just because there's a lot of good offensive teams in the league. But I'd say they could finish around 10-12 with a lot of upside. Biggest concern is how much their OL produces. No matter how good an offense is, it's nothing without a good OL. Not only that, but they obviously want to be able to keep Griffin healthy.

Alright, hopefully that sparks some discussion. I was going to write a little bit about each team to show what I thought of their potential this upcoming year or even how I thought their off-season went. I got nearly to the AFC West but then decided to delete it. I felt I was pretty much just stating the obvious and taking up space so I figured it would be best left out. I did keep the first one to show in case any of you were at all interested.

Now I'm just going to share some quick opinions of what I have of teams.

AFC East:

Patriots: Last year, I wasn't really worried about the Patriots at all. I'm very worried this time around, but at the same time I know we have a great team so we'll be right there with them. I think with a Belichick run system Revis is going to have a phenomenal year. That's not the only thing they have going in their secondary though. I don't think Browner will be as productive as some think, this year at least. But they have a lot of quality CB depth. Alfonzo Dennard has obviously shown he's a capable #2 CB. Logan Ryan was productive for them as a rookie last year. Kyle Arrington has his ugly moments where he can get burned but I would love to have him as potentially a 5th string CB. They have a question mark at SS but over at FS they have Devin McCourty who's a top 5 safety in the NFL. Their pass rush should improve with their improved secondary alone. Their offense will be scary if healthy as well. I loved Dobson coming out of college. I've always loved Edelman and LaFell is no slouch as a 4th string. There's no need to say how valuable guys like Gronkowski, Amendola and Vereen can be when healthy, either. If Ridley learns to not fumble the ball they'll have a legitimate running game to boot.

They are: Title contender

vCash
    Sleeper for the NFC- got to stay with in the NFC West. The Cards and the Rams can make some noise. The Rams SOLELY on their D-line, that D-line is INSANELY stacked with talent and skill easily the best in the league, that alone can win them 5 games...if they ever assemble anything remotely close to an offense...that can not only win them a division but take them to a conference championship. That d-line is legit and is twice as good as Seattle's and San Frans. We'll see if their secondary can keep up with the d-line but that is something to watch this season. The Cards proved they can play with the big dogs in the NFC West..loved the Veldheer pickup that is absolutely huge for Palmer's blindside.

In the AFC..it's probably the Texans. How they fell off the earth (or rather how Schaub fell off the earth) was quite astonishing last season. Keep in mind though...they still have Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, a solid o-line (with the addition of Su'a Filo in the draft), J.J Watt and added Clowney and Nix to that d-line. Watt and Clowney could arguably be the best 1-2 combo next year. Watt is, without a doubt, a true blue game wrecker and because of that Clowney is going to get production regardless of his "motor issues."

And you know what...I'ma throw in the Cleveland ****in Browns as well in the AFC. They have been a "factory of sadness" for what seems like forever now...but that's all going to change. They got talent on that o-line, they got talent in that QB position, they got talent in that defense. If anything..they should at least be interesting to watch..especially if Jonny football is starting.

The Pats are still the best coached team in the league..unfortunately. That secondary is going to rival Seattle's...might even, probably, be better. Brady will always give you a chance...if they don't suffer a million injuries (like us) they are going to be gunning for that SB and PFM is going to get all that he can handle. Even in the AFC championship game, he had fits with that secondary...the game changed when talib went out...replace Talib with Revis and Browner and more experience on that secondary....yea you just got a whole heaping mess of trouble.

Nobody in this league knows PFM better than belicheck (**** he probably secretly called, or wasn't the least bit surprised, with that disgraceful SB). With no pass rush and limited talent in the secondary, he'll still devise coverages/schemes that can fluster PFM...now add superior talent in the secondary...PFM is going to need help..we better A) Protect the **** out of him and B) Run that damn well effectively.

The only downfall the Pats will have, besides potential injuries, is their lack of a pass rush.

vCash
    I'd have to agree with just about everything you just said. You can't go wrong with STL or ARZ. I'm just concerned about STL's secondary, especially their safeties. But if your front seven is great you can sneak by with a mediocre secondary. Example being the Panthers just last year. I've really liked Arizona the past few years. They lost Dansby this past year so we'll see how Minter steps up into that role. I think this team can go as far as Palmer takes them. I mean, their defense is top notch and their offense is far from lacking as far as fire power goes. Fitz, Floyd who has really come into his own, Ellington and they have a solid group of TE's. All of their TE's have had a good year at one point in their career or has shown a lot of potential. They also just draft Troy Niklas. Adding Veldheer and having Cooper back from injury is a big help to an OL that is still lacking. There's some questions on defense, like how will Minter step up. Or how Bucannon will play in his first year, or whether or not you get the Cromartie of two years ago or last year. There's also some aging starters, but they also have some pretty good depth on defense, for the most part.

I was high on the Browns last year. I thought they would be better and contend for a WC. The only problem is, the loss of Gordon could make them go from a WC contender, to potentially an afterthought. However, if they do indeed contend for a WC or even end up winning a WC and Manziel plays half-way decent, it's going to be all about Manziel, which I'm more than likely going to hate.

Houston's defense is nasty. If they stay healthy (I'm looking at you, Cushing) I have a hard time seeing them not be a top defensive team. They also drafted one of my favorite players, Su'a-Filo. It'll be interesting to see how their QB situation pans out.

vCash
    Brandon Flowers released. Someone is going to get a good player. I'd love to see him go to Carolina, just because their secondary is the only thing lacking on D. It would be fun to watch. I just highly doubt they have the money put together to sign him. The only way is if they structure it so that he'll get paid later on.

vCash
    Mike Adams signed with the Colts. I felt like he got thrown under the bus more often than not when it wasn't deserved. He was brought in to be a versatile safety for depth who also brought leadership. He was forced to start though.
    Last edited by Lucky.; 06-15-2014 at 08:41 AM.

vCash
    He had some good and bad moments, but I wouldn't of minded seeing him stay for the sake of depth. I think with getting Carter back, the addition of Ward and possibly even Roby, it made him expendable though.

vCash
    A mile high salute to Pops. An unsung hero of sorts. Hope he catches on with the Colts.

vCash
    Maybe wrong forum, but how about the USA today? Kinda an ugly win, but a big win at that and they did do well to comeback after losing the lead.

vCash
    It honestly doesn't matter how you win come World Cup time. The USA doesn't win in these things...everyone will take it. Shows their grit to not fold when the lead was blown very late.

vCash
    Very entertaining stuff. A draw against Portugal makes it very, very likely USA moves through.

vCash
    Brandon Flowers stays in the division by signing with San Diego. Suddenly one of San Diego's weakest points is becoming very strong. Also, this makes KC cutting him that much worse. For them, of course.

vCash
    San Diego just became legit AFC West title threats with that move. I'm not sure how they did it but even with their ****** *** secondary last year..they still were able to give PFM some fits.

Just more excellent competition for us. If anything..we're definitely going to be battle tested this season. So many good teams we're facing

vCash
    Wow San Diego got him cheap also $3 mil one year we should have done that and cut Dress on our Tamme. In the words of Ron Burgundy go **** yourself San Diego!!

vCash
    Why is Jason kidd jumping on the bucks bandwagon, Jason Kidd annoys me! the dumbest thing they could do is hire the train wreck. The fact Kareem Abdul Jabbar isnt in the running or hire by now just irritates me.

I like to see the bucks comeback strong, rooting for small market teams to have success. I think Kareem would be freakin awesome as president. especially over kidd.

MILWAUKEE -- NBA Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is interested in returning in some capacity to the Milwaukee Bucks.

"If I get a call, I will definitely offer my services," said Abdul-Jabbar, the franchise's career leading scorer with 14,211 points. "There's nothing on the table right now. A couple of people have asked me, and if I had the chance to be part of this franchise again, I would take it."

In December, former Sen. Herb Kohl announced he would seek minority investors in the team, which he has owned since 1985. The franchise is at something of a crossroads, struggling to draw large crowds to an aging building. The Bucks beat Utah 114-88 on Monday but have the league's worst record at 12-47.

Still, Abdul-Jabbar sees Milwaukee as a viable NBA market.

"They have to get their business model right," Abdul-Jabbar said Monday. "I hope that the Bucks are able to sort it all out and get on a good footing. You can't win it all unless you get the right players and you can't get the right players unless you're really in a good position as a business."

Abdul-Jabbar was in town in part to promote a new tourism ad for the state of Wisconsin that played off his acting role in the movie "Airplane."

Over the past few years, Abdul-Jabbar has expressed an interest in returning to the NBA as a coach. He has worked as a special assistant with teams such as the Clippers and Lakers.

Abdul-Jabbar -- then Lew Alcindor -- was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1969 NBA draft and immediately turned the Bucks, coming off their expansion season, into contenders. Milwaukee went 56-26 and finished second in the Eastern Division behind Abdul-Jabbar's 28.8 points and 14.5 rebounds per game.

Not long after the season ended, the Bucks obtained Oscar Robertson from the Cincinnati Royals, leading to a dominant 1970-71 season. They finished with a 66-16 record and swept Baltimore in the NBA Finals, becoming the fastest expansion franchise to win a championship in the history of major professional sports.

The Bucks returned to the Finals in 1974, losing to Boston in seven games. Robertson would retire just before the '74-75 season, and Abdul-Jabbar quietly requested a trade, looking for a bigger market and the chance to join another contender.

"They appreciated that and they appreciated that I kept my mouth shut about it," he said. "I gave them the opportunity to approach other teams, and they figured out the best deal they could make for themselves."

Abdul-Jabbar got his wish in June 1975, when he was shipped to the Lakers in a deal that included Junior Bridgeman going to Milwaukee. Both players have had their jerseys retired by the franchise.

Bridgeman, who was honored by the team last week, also has been mentioned as a possible investor.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ilwaukee-bucks

sig made by DB
    "I think that's why I came out numerous times and said I want to win," Tulowitzki said. "It doesn't mean I want out of here. It means I'm sick and tired of losing."
    GET A ACE PITCHER ROCKIES

vCash
    I'm speechless with that Andy Dalton contract.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast