When you think of all the great traditions of Thanksgiving, you think of turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, pecan pie (why do I always think of food first), the Macy's Day Parade and, last but not least, the Detroit Lions. The Lions have been a staple on Thanksgiving for as long as I remember.
To honor this great holiday tradition, I thought it would be appropriate to find five great quotes about the Detroit Lions:
1. "I've never seen anybody break so many tackles. We thought he had silicone in his pants, the way we kept slipping off him."
-- Keith Mallard, on trying to tackle Lions running back Barry Sanders
2. "I never graduated from the University of Iowa, but I was only there for two terms -- Truman's and Eisenhower's."
-- Alex Karras, Lions defensive lineman and actor
3. "When Bobby said block, you blocked. When Bobby said, drink, you drank."
-- Yale Lary, on the leadership qualities of Lions Hall of Fame quarterback Bobby Layne
4. "Munson hasn't done anything wrong. I'd bet my house on it."
-- Joe Schmidt, Lions Hall of Fame player and coach on Lions quarterback Bill Munson being asked to testify in a gambling inquiry
5. "It's probably time to find a replacement for Bobby Layne."
-- Jim Schwartz, Lions coach, on Matthew Stafford being the most highly touted Lions quarterback since Bobby Layne retired 51 years ago