Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Braves 2014 draft

Let's list all the Braves picks in this year draft and if anybody has some scouting reports on the players taken feel free to post it.

Round 1 (32) :
    Braxton Davidson OF/1B As 6'3", 215, Davidson has the physique of a middle of the order bat. He will slow down as he fills out and he will likely move to 1B down the line but he could be an asset in right field early in his career as he possesses a strong arm. He has broad shoulders and a strong lower half that he uses well at the plate.

At the plate is where Davidson shines. His raw power is not the best in this draft class but his usable power is. Of all the players in this class that can put a charge into the ball, Davidson does it the most consistently and with the most ease. That's saying something. There are probably 10 guys with plus power projection or better in this draft. His hit tool allows for this. It could easily be plus and we are talking about a guy I wouldn't be scared to say will hit .300 in the majors.

He has great feel for the strike zone and a professional approach to hitting. He goes the other way with ease and turns on pitches and launches them adeptly. He is a safe prep bat, as rare as that is. He is a smart player, knows the game and has all the skills to be an impact bat. His speed and defense will never be large assets but will never be hindrances either.

The potential to find a middle of the order impact bat is rare. Davidson fits that mold and should likely be a top half of the first round pick.
    Round 2 (66) :
    Garret Fulenchek RHP The best pitch in Fulenchek’s arsenal is his sinking fastball, a pitch that ranges 90-94 mph with lots of downward plane and should induce plenty of ground balls. He complements that pitch with a hard, above-average slider that acts almost like a cutter with late bite, though he can struggle to throw the pitch for strikes. When Fulenchek does throw his change it’s a quality offering that he has good feel for, but it can be “too true” (straight) and there is noticeable arm speed difference.

The consensus on Garrett Fulencheck is that his biggest challenge will be improving command, but that is not unusual for a high school arm, and the Braves will have plenty of time to mold him. The big right-hander was a late riser on draft boards, and perhaps Atlanta has unearthed a diamond in the rough for their future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Let's list all the Braves picks in this year draft and if anybody has some scouting reports on the players taken feel free to post it.

Round 1 (32) :

Round 2 (66) :
    Watched it on mlb network. When he we got Davidson, Harold Reynolds said he was the 2nd best bat in the draft and was shocked he fell that far. His swing is almost a mirror image of Freeman. A lot of power and great eye at the plate. I think he dropped due to questions about his fielding. Fulenchek, they compared to Tim Hudson. Late riser, Braves had him on the radar for their first pick, getting him in the 2nd round was a steal. From what I read about him he has all the potential to be a top of the rotation starter.

vCash
    I'm really happy we took Davidson and I would be even more happy if the one that said he was the second best bat after Jackson wasn't Reynolds, I don't like him at all, but well. I do think Davidson can become an elite prospect with good development I just hope he can stay in the OF for at least the first portion of his career.

vCash
    Round 3:

Max Povse RHP At 6-foot-8, 220 pounds, Povse is the type of tall, projectable pitcher that teams always love to have in their system. His fastball will sit at 91-93 mph, touching 95, though it comes in straight too often, especially when he elevates the pitch. Povse’s best secondary pitch is his slider, which has good depth and velocity to it but needs to be tightened up in pro ball. He also throws a changeup and has shown decent feel for it, but he will definitely need more reps with the pitch at the next level. If Povse’s secondary stuff can develop into at least average pitches, his size and velocity alone could make him an interesting player to watch moving forward.
    High upside guy that need to be more consistent, high risk high reward.

vCash
    Round 4:

Chad Sobotka RHP Though he has missed the entire season with a stress fracture in his back, Sobotka still should become the first South Carolina-Upstate player ever drafted above the 15th round. Had he been healthy and proven that he could make the move from reliever to starter, he might have gone in the first two rounds. Coming out of the bullpen for the Spartans and in the Cape Cod League, Sobotka dealt 92-94 mph fastballs that reached 96. His heater is more notable for its downhill plane -- he's 6-foot-6 and uses a high three-quarter arm slot -- than its life or his command of the offering. Sobotka does have enough in his arsenal to start, as he flashes a low-80s slider with some bite and a deceptive changeup. He'll have to do better job of repeating his delivery and locating his pitches, and he'll have to prove he can hold up in that role. If not, he still could be an effective late-inning weapon out of the bullpen.

vCash
    So far I've liked what we've done. All have have high upside and we have the developmental system to bring them along.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I'm really happy we took Davidson and I would be even more happy if the one that said he was the second best bat after Jackson wasn't Reynolds, I don't like him at all, but well. I do think Davidson can become an elite prospect with good development I just hope he can stay in the OF for at least the first portion of his career.
    If it makes you feel better here is was Christopher Crawford from ESPN said:

"In terms of pure offensive upside, there aren't too many prep hitters who have more than Davidson. He's one of the few left-handed hitters who has a chance to hit for both average and power, and the bat has a chance to play either in the outfield or first base -- with the latter much more likely, although Atlanta obviously has first base taken care of for a while. The Braves haven't developed hitters as well as they have pitchers, but if he shows the same offensive potential he showed over the summer, he could be a middle of the order hitter for the Braves in three to four seasons."

vCash
    First draft I've liked in awhile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SunKhan13 View Post
    If it makes you feel better here is was Christopher Crawford from ESPN said:

"In terms of pure offensive upside, there aren't too many prep hitters who have more than Davidson. He's one of the few left-handed hitters who has a chance to hit for both average and power, and the bat has a chance to play either in the outfield or first base -- with the latter much more likely, although Atlanta obviously has first base taken care of for a while. The Braves haven't developed hitters as well as they have pitchers, but if he shows the same offensive potential he showed over the summer, he could be a middle of the order hitter for the Braves in three to four seasons."
    Excellent

vCash
    Round 5 (163):

Chris Diaz LHP After going undrafted out of high school, Diaz broke out during his sophomore year at Miami. He became the Hurricanes ace and earned a spot on the U.S. national team last summer. Diaz primarily relies on his sinker, which sits around 90 mph with heavy life. He mixes in a slurvy slider and a changeup. He throws a lot of strikes and comes right after hitters with his fastball. Diaz pitched out of the bullpen with the national team and could move quickly in the Minor Leagues if he returned there. But with his feel for pitching and three offerings that have a chance to be at least average, he could develop into a Major League starter.
    Round 6 (196):

Keith Curcio CF

Round 7 (223):

Luke Dykstra 2B

Round 8 (253):

Bradley Roney RHP The Orioles drafted Roney as a third baseman in the 18th round out of an Alabama high school in 2011, and he has been a regular on the infield corners the last two seasons at Southern Mississippi. But he has been far more successful as a reliever, tying the Golden Eagles' career record with 30
    saves, and that will be his role in pro ball. Though he rarely gets the luxury of warming up in the bullpen, Roney shows off a low-90s fastball that can reach 95 mph and features nice life. He's capable of throwing a solid slider, though he gets around the pitch at times. He also has a changeup that he uses mostly as a show pitch. Once he gives up hitting and focuses on pitching, Roney could take a step forward. He's still raw on the mound, lacking feel and command. He has a quick arm, but he also has some effort in his delivery, and he missed time this spring with shoulder issues.
    Round 9 (283):

Jordan Edgerton 3B

Round 10 (313):

Matt Tellor 1B

vCash
    This Braxton Davidson can take a Heyward/Freeman like jump through the system. Left handed, power AND average potential, discipline looks stout.....3 years sounds about right if everything goes well.

vCash
    We should have an OF spot available within that time frame hopefully he can stay an outfielder.

vCash
    In an ideal world, we get rid of BJ and somehow sign Justin and Heyward, shift heyward to CF and Justin back to RF and put the kid in LF. Lol won't happen and likely we could lose all 3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderKid318 View Post
    In an ideal world, we get rid of BJ and somehow sign Justin and Heyward, shift heyward to CF and Justin back to RF and put the kid in LF. Lol won't happen and likely we could lose all 3
    Well I hope that doesn't happen.