Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Phillies Draft Thread

Didn't seem right not to have one. Sad times indeed.

Round 1(7) Aaron Nola -RHP- LSU
    http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-ph...ing-aaron-nola

Round 2(47) Matt Imhof -LHP- Cal Poly
    http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=9783
    Proud Temple University Alumni
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jake Diekman
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    I was pretty bummed we didn't draft Michael Gettys with the 47th pick. I can't be mad about Nola (since everyone has been reporting for weeks we'd take him), but I really wanted Gettys at 47. I would be really happy with the combination of those two picks on day 1.

vCash
    Love the Nola pick and he should move through quickly. Imhof wasn't my choice at our 2nd pick but what do I know. Seemed like a slight reach. I'm guessing signability and him moving through the system quick played into it.

vCash
    Where did everybody go on this board?

vCash
    Kind of upsetting how the Phillies seem to be forcing drafting college players or more MLB ready players, considering virtually all of our first ten picks were college players. That kind of a strategy isn't going to get us anywhere. Outside of Nola, it seems like another wasted draft. And we picked a kid from Temple with our 9th round pick...Temple's baseball team got cut starting next year and the kid didnt even have a bio or scouting report on him on mlb.com haha

vCash
    Loved Nola when I saw him pitch for LSU this year, although I was praying that Jackson would fall to us at 7. I actually couldn't even believe he was still there with everything I had read about him leading up to the draft. A catcher or outfielder with 30 HR potential seemed to be right up our alley, but hey I'm still happy.

Imhof on the other hand seems like a bit of a project. I watched the video of his motion, and his hesitation makes him a bit unorthodox which could be beneficial to him in the bigs. His stuff doesn't seem overly impressive, but he's a lefty who touches 95 and there is a very good chance that he's going to sign from what I have read.

I do wonder if reaching for Imhof had anything to do with the repercussions of turning in Wetzler. Perhaps certain agents had told the Phillies not to draft their clients, just as they threatened to do when the report came out. I guess we'll never know until we start hearing from the players and their agents, but this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this pick.

THANK YOU DANNY B #48

vCash
    You guys drafted someone from my class in HS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    Kind of upsetting how the Phillies seem to be forcing drafting college players or more MLB ready players, considering virtually all of our first ten picks were college players. That kind of a strategy isn't going to get us anywhere. Outside of Nola, it seems like another wasted draft. And we picked a kid from Temple with our 9th round pick...Temple's baseball team got cut starting next year and the kid didnt even have a bio or scouting report on him on mlb.com haha
    Keep in mind, the club may have been eyeing an under-slot signing with that pick.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Keep in mind, the club may have been eyeing an under-slot signing with that pick.
    Yes, I understand that and presume that is what happened. But why do they need under-slot when all they drafted was college players. The forcing of pickin college players almost EVERY pick is what bothers me the most. That ideology definately is not a formula for success...I can't wait for the Phillies to clean house (in management), as I see know hope with this organization as it is being operated.