Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Gammons links Chase Utley to the Giants

MLB Network's Peter Gammons joined Philly Sports Talk on Wednesday to talk about the Phils' various trade possibilities, and he had an interesting comment regarding Utley's value.

"A general manager said to me that he thought the National League would be decided by whether the Dodgers or the Giants got Chase Utley," said Gammons, who went on to call Utley one of his 15 favorite players in the 43 years he's covered baseball. "There comes a point where you have to think about doing really unpleasant things to completely retool. ...

"In terms of Utley, again, to me, he is the model player, but a team like the Giants, every scout I've talked to tells me they might have the best pitching in Double A of any team in baseball. If you get three pitchers for Chase Utley out of that Giants organization, you have a chance to be -- two years from now -- restore that pitching to where it should be."
    http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-ph...bcs&ocid=yahoo

Let the rumors begin...
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Will the Giants be willing to take on the potential 60M that Utley may accrue through 2018? That's the question. My guess would be no. But can you imagine a lineup with Pagan, Pence, Belt, Posey, Morse, Utley, Sandoval, Crawford? WOW.

Taken from my post in the Around MLB thread:

He would receive 15M next year, up from 10M, if he has 500 PA's this season. And each of his vesting options from 2016-2018 vest if he gets 500 PA's the season prior. If he doesn't reach that plateau, then those options become club options ranging from 5M-11M dependent on the days spent on the DL the season prior.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Other than the money due, he'd be a great fit. My guess is the Giants are more likely to go after a guy like Mike Aviles.

Michael Morse High-Fives Himself dot gif

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Other than the money due, he'd be a great fit. My guess is the Giants are more likely to go after a guy like Mike Aviles.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    He's a better bench option than Adrianza...

vCash
    I was thinking more in terms of a starting second baseman. Though as a bench option, he'd be fine.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Will the Giants be willing to take on the potential 60M that Utley may accrue through 2018? That's the question. My guess would be no. But can you imagine a lineup with Pagan, Pence, Belt, Posey, Morse, Utley, Sandoval, Crawford? WOW.

It's really not that much money to take on but no way they should give 3 pitchers for him. I don't see Utley reaching 500 PA in those later years. Utley is a perfect fit and I think the Giants could get a deal done but they shouldn't bleed the pitching prospects to do it. Mix it up. Giants have also recently traded with the Phillies so they are familiar with each other's farm systems. I hope the rumors are true.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    I wonder what the asking price will be for Utley. Since there's a bunch of money to take on, that ought to lower the value, no?

vCash
    I wonder what the asking price will be for Utley. Since there's a bunch of money to take on, that ought to lower the value, no?
    There's the possibility of taking on a lot of money but annually, it is cheap compared to what a player like him could get on the open market.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Or over Hicks as the starting 2B. Though that dirt low average isn't quite getting to me yet, I still think he'd be better suited in a bench role.

vCash
    Ok, so let's go out and get both Utley & Aviles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90;28586017[B
    ]Will the Giants be willing to take on the potential 60M [/B]that Utley may accrue through 2018? That's the question. My guess would be no. But can you imagine a lineup with Pagan, Pence, Belt, Posey, Morse, Utley, Sandoval, Crawford? WOW.

Will Utley be willing to wave his 10-5 rights?

vCash
    Waving the papers in the air would do no good. He needs to waive them.

Ariana Grande

vCash

vCash
    fans you off! :shurg:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast