Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

New Stadium in Santa Clara

Can anyone explain to me why the 49ers built the new Levi's Stadium SO FAR outside the city limits of San Francisco?

There was plenty of room to build a new one right next to Candlestick wasn't there?

We did the same thing in Pittsburgh right next...and I mean RIGHT next...to the old stadium even when we had to implode the old one.

I know the whole Bay Area is an expansive area of 3-4 major cities all growing into one another but it seems like their losing something going closer to San Jose than the beautiful harbor SF already has.

Thoughts?

vCash
    There were no viable spots within the city limits nor did the city's politicians put forth a real effort to ensure they stayed in the city. Them moving outside of the city and into Santa Clara is actually better for the fans. A big portion of the fan base lives in Santa Clara, Gilroy, Monterey, the east bay and many other cities. Add in that there are more access points to the new stadium and there you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    Holy ****. Why didn't we think of that? Thanks for pointing that out. Nobody here would have ever thought about doing that..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeezy View Post
    Holy ****. Why didn't we think of that? Thanks for pointing that out. Nobody here would have ever thought about doing that..
    Helpful...

vCash
    Actually, there isn't room near it.

If you look at Candlestick it hugs the SF Bay on the west side, and the east side is Hunters Point.
    If we were to demolish part of HP for a new stadium we would be like China in a sense. HP is pretty hood, and displacing them would've put the City in hot water. About 10 miles south of the stadium is the SF airport which brings about international/city restrictions and that was not going to happen. It's actually not that far from Metropolitan SF so it's heavily populated to its North. The new stadium had to go South.

Point is, Candlestick is the biggest dump I've ever seen.
    Poorly situated, and the stadium is below sea level for ****s sakes! I was at a game back in the day, 49ers beat the Saints, and the parking lott was flooded.
    As much as I've grew up there, and have several awesome memories, we needed to relocate as far from Candlestick as we could, as sad as it is.

vCash
    They could have built a new stadium in SF. The money is in Silicon Valley. Same reason the A's owner wants to move to San Jose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    They could have built a new stadium in SF. The money is in Silicon Valley. Same reason the A's owner wants to move to San Jose.
    I was afraid that was the case. Too bad but it's not like San Francisco is actually "losing" the 49ers...they're just buying a house in the suburbs if you will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
    I was afraid that was the case. Too bad but it's not like San Francisco is actually "losing" the 49ers...they're just buying a house in the suburbs if you will.
    It's not really a big deal honestly. The spot where Candlestick was sucked in every way imaginable. The weather sucked, traffic sucked on both public transportation and driving yourself, and it was ghetto as he'll around the stadium. I'm looking forward to going to Santa Clara for games, plus I can fly into and stay in cheaper San Jose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by richiesaurus310 View Post
    It's not really a big deal honestly. The spot where Candlestick was sucked in every way imaginable. The weather sucked, traffic sucked on both public transportation and driving yourself, and it was ghetto as he'll around the stadium. I'm looking forward to going to Santa Clara for games, plus I can fly into and stay in cheaper San Jose.
    I dislike the location. The tech community already made living in San Fransisco too expensive now they're making season tickets and game tickets too expensive and were largley responsible for the Niners move to Santa Friggin Clara of all places.

A lot of the old long time fans criticisms have been largely ignored by the media while the 49ers cheer leading writers (the Matts) went to bat for the move and defended it all along. Even on a certain major 49er forum people were being banned for criticizing the move.

It is what it is- it's a business and they went where they could make the most money. I suppose it's a lot better than moving out of state or to LA but they could have stayed in San Fransisco, the owners just didn't want to stay.

It's a pretty far move that screws everyone who lives in the east and north bay. BART doesn't even go there either. The non BART train from the east bay/oakland costs 50 dollars and takes an hour to get to Santa Clara. Same from San Fransisco. Driving would be about the same. Megh. I'll just watch games on TV.

http://extras.sfgate.com/img/pages/t.../sfbay_std.gif
    Last edited by hamburger; 06-15-2014 at 02:05 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, **** Santa Clara!
    I'll never find myself traveling farther down the peninsula/paying higher ticket prices unless they're FREE!

I do want to rent a boat, and watch the Stick be demolished with dynamite even though it won't go down like that dammit! And I want tix to the Paul McCartney concert (last venue before expiration).

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
    I dislike the location. The tech community already made living in San Fransisco too expensive now they're making season tickets and game tickets too expensive and were largley responsible for the Niners move to Santa Friggin Clara of all places.

A lot of the old long time fans criticisms have been largely ignored by the media while the 49ers cheer leading writers (the Matts) went to bat for the move and defended it all along. Even on a certain major 49er forum people were being banned for criticizing the move.

It is what it is- it's a business and they went where they could make the most money. I suppose it's a lot better than moving out of state or to LA but they could have stayed in San Fransisco, the owners just didn't want to stay.

It's a pretty far move that screws everyone who lives in the east and north bay. BART doesn't even go there either. The non BART train from the east bay/oakland costs 50 dollars and takes an hour to get to Santa Clara. Same from San Fransisco. Driving would be about the same. Megh. I'll just watch games on TV.

http://extras.sfgate.com/img/pages/t.../sfbay_std.gif
    Didn't they try to get it done with the city for over a decade? It's on the city IMO. If they wanted them to stay they would've worked with the team. As have never lived in the Bay Area, I could care less. It'll actually be easier for me more than likely. Definitely would be if I still lived where I grew up. I get that it sucks not being in the actually city as the team name, but we definitely aren't the only team in the situation.