Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Ryan Tannenhill opinons thread

So for fun I put together a list of teams that in my opinion would clearly rather have RT17 than their current QB:

Arizona Cardinals
    Buffalo Bills
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Cleveland Browns
    Houston Texans
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Minnesota Vikings
    New York Jets
    Oakland Raiders
    St. Louis Rams
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Tennessee Titans
    Washington Redskins

I would argue more teams based on age and other factors like money would prefer him as well. My argument is this; if not RT17 who? Most of these teams don't have anything that resembles an NFL qb... so what is your solution.

vCash
    Tannehill's solid. He's not a top qb or anything but he's got a ton of potential. After the years of **** qb play you can't really complain about RT.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Okay.........I'll play...........teams that would rather have Tannehill..........

Arizona Cardinals - Yes, they F'd up in the draft passing on Bridgewater. Carson is too old and not great.

Buffalo Bills - Maybe, didn't get to see enough of EJ Manuel, at least not a healthy Manuel. But both guys are unproven.

Cincinnati Bengals - No, I think Dalton has shown more than Tannehill.

Cleveland Browns - No, Manziel could be better than Tannehill and they won't have to worry about a bigger contract as soon. (Tannehill comes up for a new contract next year.)

Houston Texans - Yes, they F'd up in the draft not moving up into late round 1 for Bridgewater.

Jacksonville Jaguars - No, Bortles has more upside than Tannehill. Also see CLE contract comments.

Kansas City Chiefs - Nah, Alex Smith has shown a little more. This one is close though.

Minnesota Vikings - No, Bridgewater already looking good in OTAs, threw a 50 yard bomb to Greg Jennings in stride. Vikes very happy with their rookie QB.

New York Jets - Yes, not impressed with Geno at all. Vick won't stay healthy and too old anyway.

Oakland Raiders - Maybe, not sold on Derek Carr but would probably wait and see.

St. Louis Rams - They probably think No but I would say yes, Bradford may have a better feel for the game than Tannehill, but he can't stay healthy so it's a moot point. They screwed up passing on RG3 and then again this year passing on QBs early again.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Meh, I think Glennon and Tannehill may be about a wash, but they seem to be down on Glennon. So I guess I'll give TB a "yes" since I can't imagine they'd prefer a 34 year old McCown over Tannehill.

Tennessee Titans - Yes, they can't be sold on Locker or Mettenberger. Again, another team that will regret passing on the top QBs in round 1.

Washington Redskins - No, not even close.

We're allowed to be objective here, right?
    Last edited by Sparky; 06-05-2014 at 02:43 PM.

vCash
    By your own logic... you make no sense...

First off... if you think the Redskins or anyone "wants" RGIII at this point you are insane. He is a locker room problem as far as wanting things his way and in addition injury prone. What is your excuse for him? He loses gets hurt what exactly does he do that's great? I knoww he makes alot of highlight plays alot like your boy Wilson. Mike Vick makes alot of highlight plays too. Peyton Manning & Tom Brady don't make hardly any highlight plays. Which would you rather have? Cousins will be starting before week 9 either due to injury or poor play or a little of both.

Moving on... Dalton your kinding right? The very picture of inconsistency... that's your gripe with RT17... No? Not to mention Dalton plays with a top 5 WR and WR corp. Just to be clear before we go into the whole he made them a good WR corp nonsense... Palmer had many of the same guys and put up similar numbers... No one let me say that again No one in what 20 years has put up numbers for the Phins... no top 5 WR here and no top WR corp. In fact last year he did so with one of his best weapons done before the season started (Keller) another midseason (Gibson) his already really bad o-line using backups because of the worst scandal in the franchises' history including a couple games with a new center. Oh and did I mention his OC was a moron and fired... What happened to the Bengals OC... Oh yeah he got a head coaching job.

Manziel better than Tannenhill... your funny. If Manziel was better than Tannenhill he would have went #1 overall. All that kid does is sell. He is a goldmine for whatever team he is on. Teams kill to have a guy who is the face of the franchise... for it be a QB who they could have cheap for so long under the new cap come on...

Bortles & Bridgewater... man you are just a grass in greener guy. So every rookie QB is better RT17. Come on man where is this logic coming from.
    You goin off the OT's lol... your funny
    Last edited by leroyp33; 06-05-2014 at 02:58 PM.

vCash
    ^^^ Leroy, it's not a matter of my opinions or your opinions "making no sense". We just have different opinions, nothing wrong with that.

I think RG3 is better than RT17. I base that off what I saw from RG3 as a rook, not off what he showed this last year while recovering from an ACL tear. I just think he's a far more dynamic player than RT17.

Dalton isn't far and away better than RT17 but you started this thread as a "list of teams that would clearly rather have RT17 over their own QB". I don't think CIN would. Sure, Dalton has AJ Green but Wallace is no slouch either. And when Green gets open deep, Dalton usually hits him in stride. Until RT17 starts showing he can deliver those big plays, I'm not going to assume that a team like CIN would "clearly" want him over their guy. At best, they may think it's close.

As for CLE, again, I'm just saying they are probably happy with their pick. NOBODY has any way to be sure who's better at this point - Johnny hasn't even played a snap yet - but plenty of people like his upside. Maybe they'll be wrong in thinking that. I'm just saying you can't be sure that they'd "clearly" want RT over Johnny.

As for Bortles, you're right that I have no way to be sure. And it's easy to be a "grass is always greener" fan of the rooks. But again, just saying that you have no evidence to suggest JAX would "clearly" want RT17 over a guy who's a damn solid prospect himself. And a guy who didn't just leave some AWFUL tape on record as far as his last two NFL games.

Same goes for MIN. I just think they're already feeling like they have a steal in Teddy. It's already well documented on here that I think Teddy is going to have a great career. I wouldn't have passed on him at 19 despite RT being on this team already. We'll see but again, it's not what I think about Teddy vs. RT17, it's that I don't think MIN would trade one for the other right now even if they could.

Remember, we're Dolfans. The rest of the league doesn't see everything as rosy as we (you) sometimes do.

As for me, I'm just jaded after all of these post-Shula clowns coming through here. I just don't trust any of these regimes easily anymore.

vCash
    I don't care what your opinions are on tannehill, but let's keep all this stuff one thread. I'm tired of reading the same thing over and over.

vCash
    That's why I thought this was a good thread........keeps this out of the camp thread.

vCash
    He'd be a great quarterback if our O-line could keep him on his feet.

vCash
    ^^^ I agree with this. I have never seen a Qb be successful over the course of more than a few plays without the help of a mediocre o-line.

RT17 to me makes all the throws. Outside the hash and can fit the ball in a tight spot when he needs to. Throwing a 15 yard out without floating it is exponentially harder than throwing a deep ball. I don't know how if you have ever thrown a football you could think that it takes a level of skill to hit a WR on a deep ball. It's all timing and feel. It's like saying "I can make nba threes... but I suck at free throws". It would be such an anomaly. Can we please stop with the he can't throw the deep ball stuff. Of all the throws an NFL Qb makes that one is one of the simplest.

vCash
    Everyone of these threads and every conversation is an opinion. That's the beauty of sports. I get what your saying... alot of times I come off like I am trying to diminish someone when we disagree. I assure you I am not trying to make you feel bad it's just the way I talk. Dont take it so personal. And I apologize in advance. LOL

vCash
    Below are the stats of six quarterbacks from the 2013 season. Five of them made the playoffs and the other is Ryan Tannehill.

Quarterback A: 363-586 (61.0% completion) 4,293 yards, 33 TDs-20 INTs, 0 comebacks

Quarterback B: 343-570 (60.2% completion) 3,822 yards, 23 TDs-9 INTs, 4 comebacks

Quarterback C: 257-407 (63.1% completion) 3,357 yards, 26 TDs-9 INTs, 3 comebacks

Quarterback D: 355-588 (60.4% completion) 3,913 yards, 24 TDs-17 INTs, 4 comebacks

Quarterback E: 292-473 (61.7% completion) 3,379 yards, 24 TDs-13 INTs, 4 comebacks

Quarterback F: 380-628 (60.5% completion) 4,343 yards, 25 TDs-11 INTs, 5 comebacks

Unless you know Tannehill’s numbers by heart, the answer is not obvious. This is a clichéd exercise, and it does not provide all the context needed to properly evaluate quarterbacks, but this rudimentary comparison at least makes you realize Tannehill may not be that far off from being a playoff-caliber quarterback. (The QBs listed in order are: Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Tannehill (D), Cam Newton, and Tom Brady).

A pleasant surprise noticed when comparing all these quarterbacks is that Tannehill had four fourth-quarter comebacks this season, tied for the second most in the league behind only Tom Brady. His “clutch” stats also impress. In the four games Tannehill registered a comeback (Atlanta, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and New England), he totaled nine touchdowns (including one rushing) and only two interceptions. In games decided by seven points or less, Tannehill completed 63 percent of his passes and threw for 17 touchdowns against seven interceptions.

Stole this from Page Q sports... it illustrates how people scrutinize Tanny despite the fact that he is clearly improving.

vCash
    Its very easy to see he improved some of his game from year 1 to year 2. Did he fix everything? No but overall improvement was shown. Now with a OC that seems to know how to get the best of what he has and not try to fit a circle into a square hole we might even see more improvement this season.

If you don't, then it is time to look for another QB and start over. I feel from what I have seen he will take another step though and get better. Will he ever be elite? Who knows but you don't need an elite QB to win, just a top 15 guy and I think he can get their.

vCash
    I'm a huge Tannehill supporter, and believe he is a legit up and coming Qb in the NFL . . . homerism aside

But to say that teams like Cincy, KC, ARZ, WSH and even STL would take Tanny over their own respective QBs right now, is very debatable. CIN and KC made the playoffs with their current Qbs, ARZ almost made it with Palmer. And yeah he's always injured, but I think bradford is a real good QB when healthy. So I think right now those teams are probably happy where they are at QB. WSH has both RG3 and Cousins at QB. Why would they be that much better with Tanny?

The other teams on the list however I can agree would be better off with Tannehill at QB right now. The only teams I would suggest may not from those bottom tier teams are BUF and MIN. BUF just spent a 1st on Manuel and he is still an enigma cause of his injury. MIN just got Bridgewater in the draft, and he was basically the best QB prospect in the class. I think their happy where they are too right now.

But I'm happy Tanny is here and not somewhere else. Imagine if we still had to deal with Henne or even Moore starting? yuck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I'm a huge Tannehill supporter, and believe he is a legit up and coming Qb in the NFL . . . homerism aside

But to say that teams like Cincy, KC, ARZ, WSH and even STL would take Tanny over their own respective QBs right now, is very debatable. CIN and KC made the playoffs with their current Qbs, ARZ almost made it with Palmer. And yeah he's always injured, but I think bradford is a real good QB when healthy. So I think right now those teams are probably happy where they are at QB. WSH has both RG3 and Cousins at QB. Why would they be that much better with Tanny?

The other teams on the list however I can agree would be better off with Tannehill at QB right now. The only teams I would suggest may not from those bottom tier teams are BUF and MIN. BUF just spent a 1st on Manuel and he is still an enigma cause of his injury. MIN just got Bridgewater in the draft, and he was basically the best QB prospect in the class. I think their happy where they are too right now.

But I'm happy Tanny is here and not somewhere else. Imagine if we still had to deal with Henne or even Moore starting? yuck.
    To be fair... I did say "in my opinion".
    And I was not a big fan of Tannehill as a pick; but after seeing him play I am very happy with what we have.

Just to be clear I am not saying these teams would give us picks or multiple players for RT17... I am simply saying that in a flat out no cap implications trade... those teams would probably make it.

vCash
    all this talk of Tannehill taking so many sacks because of bad OL play keep forgetting that Russell Wilson halfway into the season was running for his life even more so than Tannehill every game because his OL

I will play along with teams that would take Tannehill

Bills - Manuel hasnt shown that he is better than the backup they have there yet to me
    Jets- I like Vick but Tannehill's youth wins and Geno sucks
    Texans - idk who they will even start at QB
    Titans - Locker is really bad
    Raiders - they have crap QBs
    Rams - Bradford sucks
    Cards - old QB

Teams named that I will 100 % disagree with

Browns - Manziel is cheap so you have time to see if he can be a franchise QB. you are running out of time with Tannehill before you have to decide to keep him and sign him to a contract he hasnt earned or move on. I also think Manziel is a franchise QB and will succeed

Chiefs - Alex Smith sucked til Harbaugh. he is actually really good now. he is like Pennington to me only with athleticism. I would take him over Tannehill today and its not even close

Vikings + Jags - see Manziel. though idk if Bridgewater is a franchise QB id be willing to take him and find out. he is supposedly great at reading defenses. some said he has Andrew Luck like qualities. Bortles I think is a franchise QB. idk if he will be better than Manziel but I wouldnt be shocked if he was. the fact that he did what he has without a QB coach is impressive. looks more comfortable running the ball and more comfortable at the QB position in college than Tannehill did.

Redskins - I would take RG3 over Tannehill without question

Bucs - I would take Tannehill over McCown bc of age but Tannehill and Glennon are very similar to me. not much seperates the two right now and both are young

Bengals - I would take Dalton over Tannehill

one team not mentioned that I would surprising take Tannehill over is Detroit. I really dislike Stafford's game and believe if Dalton should be mentioned than so should Staff. people will probably disagree but I really hate Stafford's game a lot.
    Take Notes Rook

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast