Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Don Mattingly says chemistry at issue

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dddB8?u...ce=twitter.com
    LOS ANGELES -- The most expensive team in baseball history is barely above .500 and Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Wednesday he blames a lack of cohesion among the players.

"It may be a day here or a day there, but it hasn't felt like a true team at this point where we're all on that Tommy Lasorda end of the rope and worried about the Dodgers and, 'This is where we're going and I don't care what happens today, we're going to get there,' " said Mattingly, whose Dodgers entered the season with a $239 million payroll.

[+] EnlargeDon Mattingly
    Richard Mackson/USA TODAY Sports
    "It may be a day here or a day there, but it hasn't felt like a true team at this point. ... It's really not that hard to see that it's not happening," manager Don Mattingly said of the Dodgers.
    "We talk about this all the time within the staff and with different guys. It's really not that hard to see that it's not happening."

The Dodgers, 31-29 entering their game with the Chicago White Sox while trailing the San Francisco Giants by seven games, have been confounding for Mattingly and the team's front office at points this season.

They have not won or lost more than three games in a row all season.

Their deep starting rotation is third in the National League in ERA and their lineup, led by Yasiel Puig, is third in runs scored, but the parts have not added up to what Mattingly called "traction."

Mattingly implied that individual agendas have gotten too much attention. One source of constant discussion around the team is the rotation of four outfielders, three of whom have been All-Stars.

Recently, former MVP runner-up Matt Kemp, a career center fielder, was put in left after a five-game stint on the bench when Carl Crawford sprained his ankle.

And Kemp has made it clear he's unhappy with the move.

"It seems like we're talking so much about one guy or another guy or this or that instead of us being focused on winning a game and how we can win a game and what can we do to win a game," Mattingly said. "I think when we were able to start putting things together last year, you felt a real, true team focus, just a collective group.

"It's the thing we talk about when guys start throwing all the numbers out, all these things ... One thing you can't measure is that feeling you have as a team when everybody's playing together and everybody's going in one direction."

Mattingly voiced similar concerns at times last season when the Dodgers got off to a slow start. A brawl with the Arizona Diamondbacks on June 11 seemed to build some cohesiveness. Starting June 22, the Dodgers went on a historic 42-8 run that launched them from last place into the playoffs.
    Sigh.....

2014 CHAMPIONS

vCash
    No chemistry. Must be the players fault.

vCash
    Stupid Mattingly

He should have told the team to have good chemistry instead of telling them to have bad chemistry

vCash
    David Vassegh ‏@THEREAL_DV 2m
    Mattingly not happy with his team and "I'm tired of answering the questions, go ask them" meaning players

Donnie is a little upset

2014 CHAMPIONS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laker2dodger View Post
    David Vassegh ‏@THEREAL_DV 2m
    Mattingly not happy with his team and "I'm tired of answering the questions, go ask them" meaning players

Donnie is a little upset
    Donnie throwing his players under the bus is not new. Public shaming he thinks is the best way to build chemistry. Good luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller View Post
    Donnie throwing his players under the bus is not new. Public shaming he thinks is the best way to build chemistry. Good luck.
    It never works. Its irritating

2014 CHAMPIONS

vCash
    Like, what's wrong with the chemistry? I see no problem with our catchers and our pitchers. Everybody seems to like Puig, A-Gon and Gordon. Uribe and Hanley are making Instagram videos of them playing games every day. Unless they all hate each other off camera, I highly doubt it's the chemistry.

Also considering that baseball is one of least "team oriented" sports on the earth, I don't know it really matters that much, unless they can't stand to be around each other which I don't think that's the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laker2dodger View Post
    It never works. Its irritating
    The belief that any old timer w/ good enough experience in baseball can manage a "team" based on those credentials and based on the strategic side of the game alone is a fool. Sure, if mediocrity is the goal. Great leadership is needed. What separates the great ones from the mediocre ones is, largely, the ability to influence others, to motivate and inspire.

I don't expect ignorants to understand such thing. That would require a bit of education that some here lack. It doesn't take much to pick up a book or two on leadership to understand its importance w/ regards to team building and success.

Team sports are well, team sports. Better team wins. Notice that it's not, "better talent wins".
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 06-05-2014 at 01:58 AM.

vCash
    And I think us being around .500 has to with with the bullpen being terrible for the first month, and us trotting out Turner, Butera and Figgins for a good amount of BA's while Hanley, Ethier and Crawford haven't hit much. That's like 6+ spots in the lineup that makes a lot of outs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller View Post

Team sports are well, team sports. Better team wins. Notice that it's not, "better talent wins".
    You need both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerB24 View Post
    You need both.
    Yes you do. You will not win it all on talent alone, nor on the strategic side coupled w/ talent. Your players at the end of the day need to execute as a team. Building team trust, building team chemistry, building bonds towards a common goal is key and that's where leadership comes in. Too many examples to quote...in basketball, in baseball, soccer....business, army...what have you....

The idea that great and lauded coaches were simply strategic gurus is a myth.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 06-05-2014 at 02:07 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, talent doesn't mean s**t if you don't apply it!

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

vCash
    Chemistry is over rated, the dodgers just need to start hitting with runners in scoring position.

vCash
    Chemistry my ***, the guys seem fine together. The trouble is everyone in the lineup is slumping. Sometimes it's not just your year, this may be the case for the 2014 LA Dodgers. But things can still turn round, does it look like it will? nope.

But it can.

vCash
    I guess Punto, Shumaker, Ellis, Belisario and Guerra leaving in the off season sucked all the chemistry out of the team. Just one more attempt by Donnie to get off the hot seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast