Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How does salary cap work?

So when I read today that the 9rs and Kaep's agent are going to start talks to negotiate a new contract, a thought came to mind. The article said that there was enough cap space to work a deal for Kaep in the 18million per year range, when the cap space is only about 9 million. So, how is this possible?

I heard that one of the reasons why we have 10 million in cap space is thanks to Bowman who converted some of his 2014 salary into a signing bonus, which gave us about 2.5 million more space. So, signing bonus doesnt count towards cap space? How come teams arent paying massive signing bonuses and small salaries in order to maneuver past the cap , if that is the case?

What kind of payments count towards the cap, and what do not? could, for example, a team donate 10million to a players charity of choice, and pay a minimum salary and have that charity cost not effect the cap?

vCash
    Try this.

link

As far as a Colin Kaepernick contract, it would be an extension and wouldn't affect 2014 cap numbers.

Any money a player receives counts towards the cap.

vCash
    Signing bonuses are spread evenly over the course of the contract (or remaining contract)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Try this.

link

As far as a Colin Kaepernick contract, it would be an extension and wouldn't affect 2014 cap numbers.

Any money a player receives counts towards the cap.
    Thanks

It seems to me that there would be some very easy ways around this.

Signing on relatives of players as consultants or trainers.
    Making large donations to a players charity of choice.
    Agreeing to hire the player on as a coach after he retires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbombz View Post
    Thanks

Around what? The cap?

There is no way around the cap. You can push some payments or cap into future years but any monies payed to a player in any form or fashion must eventually be recognized as cap.

vCash
    Around what? The cap?

There is no way around the cap. You can push some payments or cap into future years but any monies payed to a player in any form or fashion must eventually be recognized as cap.
    Moneys paid to a charity would not be paid to a player.
    Moneys paid to a relative in exchange for that relative's employment as some sort of team employee would not be paid to a player.
    An agreement to hire the player on as a coach after the contract ends is not money paid to a player.

etc etc

vCash
    Moneys paid to a charity would not be paid to a player.
    Moneys paid to a relative in exchange for that relative's employment as some sort of team employee would not be paid to a player.
    An agreement to hire the player on as a coach after the contract ends is not money paid to a player.

etc etc
    None of those are part of the CBA.

vCash
    None of those are part of the CBA.
    Exactly.

Nearly every player spends a million or a few and buys their family some cars and a house.

Nearly every player gives a a few or a couple hundred thousand to a charity of some kind.

Nearly every player campaigns to get some sort of job in the sports industry after retirement.

So, If I am a team owner or a player entering contract negotiations, I would use these things to my advantage.

"Hey, Colin?"
    "Yeah, Coach?"
    "About how much money you going to spend on your family when you get your new contract?"
    "Im not sure, at least 4-5million for my parents and a million for the rest of my relatives."
    "How about we hire on your pops as a team assistant coach for a salary of 6million?"
    "Sure, Coach, Whats the catch?"
    "Do us a favor, accept 6 million less on your new contact than you would have otherwise."
    "Sounds reasonable to me coach"
    "Another thing, Kaep. What are you gonna do when you retire?"
    "Probably try to get a job working as a sports announcer or QB coach"
    "How about we agree to hire you on as assistant QB coach at premium after you retire?"
    "Sure Coach."
    "Ok. Just accept 5 million less on your new contract, ok?"
    "Sounds good to me coach."
    "Hey Colin?"
    "Yeah Coach?"
    "You gonna give any of this money to charity?"
    "Yup. Donating 2 million to the locall neighborhood YMCA"
    "How about we donate 2 million to the YMCA, and you accept another 2 million less on your new contract?"
    "That works for me coach."
    "You know what this means, Kaep?"
    "Yeah i do Coach, I get paid, and I also get to play on a team packed with expensive talent also. We really worked some financial magic on this one, coach."
    "Cheers, Kaep!"
    "Cheers, Coach!"

vCash
    While your view of the world and contract negotiations is underhandedly clever, it is not part of the CBA.

Do you have some idea that no one would notice such nefarious actions?

vCash
    There are 32 teams in the league owned by billionaire businessmen.... You think you know something that they don't about working the salary cap?

Teams have tried to do the things you mentioned and have been caught and punished.... It doesn't work. The Broncos got busted trying to get players to play for the season and then get paid years later. The 49ers got busted for doing all kinds of shady deals under Carmen Policy.

vCash
    Exactly.

Nearly every player spends a million or a few and buys their family some cars and a house.

Nearly every player gives a a few or a couple hundred thousand to a charity of some kind.

Nearly every player campaigns to get some sort of job in the sports industry after retirement.

So, If I am a team owner or a player entering contract negotiations, I would use these things to my advantage.

"Hey, Colin?"
    "Yeah, Coach?"
    "About how much money you going to spend on your family when you get your new contract?"
    "Im not sure, at least 4-5million for my parents and a million for the rest of my relatives."
    "How about we hire on your pops as a team assistant coach for a salary of 6million?"
    "Sure, Coach, Whats the catch?"
    "Do us a favor, accept 6 million less on your new contact than you would have otherwise."
    "Sounds reasonable to me coach"
    "Another thing, Kaep. What are you gonna do when you retire?"
    "Probably try to get a job working as a sports announcer or QB coach"
    "How about we agree to hire you on as assistant QB coach at premium after you retire?"
    "Sure Coach."
    "Ok. Just accept 5 million less on your new contract, ok?"
    "Sounds good to me coach."
    "Hey Colin?"
    "Yeah Coach?"
    "You gonna give any of this money to charity?"
    "Yup. Donating 2 million to the locall neighborhood YMCA"
    "How about we donate 2 million to the YMCA, and you accept another 2 million less on your new contract?"
    "That works for me coach."
    "You know what this means, Kaep?"
    "Yeah i do Coach, I get paid, and I also get to play on a team packed with expensive talent also. We really worked some financial magic on this one, coach."
    "Cheers, Kaep!"
    "Cheers, Coach!"
    Well, first off, I can't believe you typed all that out. Next, if you were Kaep would you take their word for it, or would you do the sensible thing and ask for it in writing?

See that's a big problem.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Thanks

In bold are both in the CBA as against the rules.

Teams have lost draft picks for trying to do that last one as its considered a side-deal.

vCash
    well, ok, i didnt know there were rules against those things.

vCash
    Not to mention that part of why the players make those donations is to avoid taxes. If the team donated instead, the player's tax bill would go up.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Not to mention that part of why the players make those donations is to avoid taxes. If the team donated instead, the player's tax bill would go up.
    Nah, it doesnt work like that. the tax benefits from donating to charity never make up for the principle amount donated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast