Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Slay= Woodson 2.0?

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lion...ed-darius-slay

Darius Slay is more comfortable in the Detroit Lions' defense than he was last season.
    ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Darius Slay was collecting a paycheck from the Detroit Lions last season, yet throughout 2013 he felt as though he never left school.

He spent the entire season learning -- from his on-field play, from then-defensive backs coach Marcus Robertson, from veteran cornerback Rashean Mathis in the locker room and then in the offseason with Rod Woodson, one of the best defensive backs in NFL history.

Slay heard from so many influences, and this was both good and bad. He picked up a ton of knowledge. He also had to decipher and implement it and that took a bit more time, resulting in the inconsistent rookie year he had.

Now back for his second season, he knows he needs to learn less. Undergraduate football school, for him, is done.

"I'm way more ready than I was last year," Slay said. "Just coming into the game, I felt like last year I approached it like my senior year in college. So like this year, my game feels a lot better, a lot more comfortable."

To that end, he already somewhat started football graduate school. During the offseason, he spent around a week with Woodson at the Hall of Famer's home in Pleasanton, California -- the second straight year he tutored Slay.

Woodson took Slay out to the field last season prior to the NFL combine. He needed to gauge the skill level of the incoming rookie to know where to start. This season, with Slay having NFL tape to work with and an understanding of the NFL, going to the field wasn't as imperative.

It didn't happen at all.

Woodson made his points verbally with an assist from his yard. They watched one or two games before leaving the television to go outside. There, Woodson would make almost all of the corrections he needed to in Slay’s game, then checked if Slay retained the knowledge. Then they’d go back inside and watch another game or two before doing it all again.

"The biggest thing for him was when he won at the line of scrimmage using press, he won the down," Woodson said. "Then when he played off, he was either sometimes too shallow and played in a no man's land. Instead of playing 7 yards or 8 yards off, he was like 4.

"To play some of these receivers in the National Football League 4 yards off, and you can’t play that way. He has to find a happy medium where he belongs when he's playing off-technique. I think he's pretty good at press and has confidence in press."

When Slay pressed, he could bump a receiver at the line and let his instincts overtake the plethora of information he was still attempting to process from his time at junior college, Mississippi State and in his first season with the Lions.

In doing so, Slay had to unlearn some things from college -- and perhaps high school -- that worked for him in the past. In the NFL, it wasn't going to help. He had to stop playing with his "butt to the sideline," as Woodson explained. It was a technique many college cornerbacks use to see the field.

Do that in the NFL and you're playing catch-up almost every play as receivers take advantage and run by you.

"He had several bad habits," Woodson said. "I don't know if he had those in high school, to be honest, but some of the things that were taught to him from his coaches weren't really good in college so he had to get rid of those. For him, what I have told him is coaches are going to tell you a lot of things he can do.

"You don't have to take all of them, you know. Even with me talking to him, I'm going to tell you a lot of things but don't try to take everything in or do everything."

Too often last season Slay did that. He had his old tendencies to dismiss, a cornerbacks coach trying to impart new knowledge and veterans trying to help through experience. Then the advice from Woodson.

It forced him to think more than react, to not trust what he knew before, because as he was taught different things, he wasn't really learning it or understanding it to an NFL level yet. Hence his almost-apprenticeship last season.

Already, the Lions see a more comfortable Slay.

"He's grasping things a little more," Mathis said. "It's still a learning process for him, but he's learning stuff more. He's communicating a little more."

He also is trusting himself more and potentially playing in a scheme more suited for him. One of the issues Woodson corrected in the offseason was Slay's positioning in off-the-line coverage. Simply, the rookie was never truly sure where to position himself on the field.

He might not have to do that as much this season as Slay and other defensive backs said the Lions will be more aggressive this season with their secondary play.

"I would ask him what did he see in the downs, what did he do wrong and what did he do right," Woodson said. "Then by the time we got done, I made him write down his positive traits, what he does well and then what he does bad.

"Then I told him what he does well, you don't need to work on those every day but need to diminish your weaknesses, and if you diminish weaknesses and play to your strengths, you're a pretty good player."

Right now, that might be Slay's most important lesson of all. He's already learned so much -- and knows he isn't done yet.

"How much do I need to learn? Yeah, you see a big difference into the game and how I practice," Slay said. "You just see it. I know so much more than I did last year."

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 tackles sacks ints
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    I know he did a similar thing last year... I gotta say I'm amped to see I'm on the field.

But high on kool aid.

vCash
    Slay > Revis!

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Definitely a lot of pressure to throw on the kid. I'm very glad he's getting a chance to work with Teryl Austin and I expect good things from him. That said I'd like to wait and see before that happens lol. Hopefully at the very leats this coming season he can become starter worthy material at CB, that'll be a big enough bonus for us to at least make the playoffs. Assuming Houston returns to form that's a nice 1-2 CB punch.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Definitely a lot of pressure to throw on the kid. I'm very glad he's getting a chance to work with Teryl Austin and I expect good things from him. That said I'd like to wait and see before that happens lol. Hopefully at the very leats this coming season he can become starter worthy material at CB, that'll be a big enough bonus for us to at least make the playoffs. Assuming Houston returns to form that's a nice 1-2 CB punch.

Im really starting to worry that Houston has a bigger issue, Everything he posts on his social media has changed from happy and funny to sad and depressing, You can tell the injury/surgery really is messing with him..

I think it was yesterday he posted a video of him playing Julio Jones perfectly and batting down the pass and caption was "Back before all the bs injuries"

vCash
    Told ya so!

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post
    Im really starting to worry that Houston has a bigger issue, Everything he posts on his social media has changed from happy and funny to sad and depressing, You can tell the injury/surgery really is messing with him..

I think it was yesterday he posted a video of him playing Julio Jones perfectly and batting down the pass and caption was "Back before all the bs injuries"
    I almost hope its an injury bug and not a mental thing. Injuries can be recovered from, if he's mentally beaten from the problems that's a lot harder to overcome. I'm still holding out hope he can be the guy he used to be. Or at the very least be a solid #2 for one more year Greenwood has the size skillset but not the experience yet.

I Guess you could say the same about Slay but he did get some starting time despite the inept coaching staff. At least with this coaching staff they would mind**** the corners after one blow coverage. You can recover from that and that's a concept I don't think Shartz ever grasped. That too an extent also probably hurt some of these guys.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    God 2.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    God 2.0
    +1
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I almost hope its an injury bug and not a mental thing. Injuries can be recovered from, if he's mentally beaten from the problems that's a lot harder to overcome. I'm still holding out hope he can be the guy he used to be. Or at the very least be a solid #2 for one more year Greenwood has the size skillset but not the experience yet.

I Guess you could say the same about Slay but he did get some starting time despite the inept coaching staff. At least with this coaching staff they would mind**** the corners after one blow coverage. You can recover from that and that's a concept I don't think Shartz ever grasped. That too an extent also probably hurt some of these guys.
    Im holding out hope too but he seems pretty mentally beat down...

vCash
    Who cares about Houston? Slay is obviously the GOAT. <-- kool aide
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    I consider rod woodson to be the best overall cb of all time (yes, over Sanders). If slay cam be half of what woodson was I'd be very happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    God 2.0
    Science 2.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Who cares about Houston? Slay is obviously the GOAT. <-- kool aide
    dat purple draaank

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    I consider rod woodson to be the best overall cb of all time (yes, over Sanders). If slay cam be half of what woodson was I'd be very happy.
    I consider Darrel Green to be while I think Deion was a bit overrated. As for Slay, he would be my AAL if I did that sort of thing. I think he will have around 8 int's this season.
    Introducing my alter-ego, CB#23.

AAL - Darius Slay -
    Tackles: 0, INT's: 0, Sacks: 0, Pass Deflections/Break-ups: 0, Forced Fumbles: 0, Fumble Recoveries: 0, DEF/ST TD's: 0, Blocked FG's: 0, Blocked Punts: 0