Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sabres 2014 draft - trade rumor thread

I don't know about everyone else, but I am getting excited about the draft.

A lot of rumors floating around that Erhoff will be traded by the draft for another 1st round pick. Makes sense being his contract has more value to this team as a trade, then him as a player on a losing team. What are the odds of Florida or Edmonton make this trade with Buffalo. Or will it be for a 1st round pick next year, giving us 4.

vCash
    I would love to see a deal involving Myers or Ehrhoff and two of our second rounders (and throw in some unwanted prospect) for Edmonton's first rounder. Not sure if they would bite, but then we would have two of Reinhart/Bennett/Eblad.

vCash
    Listening to NHL on XM and they talk about a lot of rumors involving Buffalo. It was said this morning that with Boyles not signing with the Islanders, this may have been the straw that broke the camels back for Garth Snow. The owner does not appear to be too happy and they talked about the odds of Garth being fired before the draft.

They brought up the tricky situation involving the Sabres #1 pick that they got from the Islanders. With the Islanders giving us next years pick instead, Garth Snow will have no choice but to go for it completely this upcoming year. Despite what their record is at the deadline, the Islanders will have to be buyers at the trade deadline in order for the #1 pick not to come back and haunt them.

They speculated that if Garth is fired, the new GM will give the Sabres this years 5th pick instead. Then if the team is playing bad next year, the team would have the luxury of becoming sellers and if they tank as a result, they will be happy to be a contender in the McDavid sweepstakes.

They also said that their is a lot of talk around the league that say Murray has contacted a lot of teams and he is telling them that Pegula is willing to buyout any player they may want to get rid of, as long as we get a top pick in return. Which is essentially Pegula buying extra draft picks.

And as sad as some people think it might be, it appears that Tyler Myers and Erhoff are definitely on the trade block.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Listening to NHL on XM and they talk about a lot of rumors involving Buffalo. It was said this morning that with Boyles not signing with the Islanders, this may have been the straw that broke the camels back for Garth Snow. The owner does not appear to be too happy and they talked about the odds of Garth being fired before the draft.

They brought up the tricky situation involving the Sabres #1 pick that they got from the Islanders. With the Islanders giving us next years pick instead, Garth Snow will have no choice but to go for it completely this upcoming year. Despite what their record is at the deadline, the Islanders will have to be buyers at the trade deadline in order for the #1 pick not to come back and haunt them.

They speculated that if Garth is fired, the new GM will give the Sabres this years 5th pick instead. Then if the team is playing bad next year, the team would have the luxury of becoming sellers and if they tank as a result, they will be happy to be a contender in the McDavid sweepstakes.

They also said that their is a lot of talk around the league that say Murray has contacted a lot of teams and he is telling them that Pegula is willing to buyout any player they may want to get rid of, as long as we get a top pick in return. Which is essentially Pegula buying extra draft picks.

And as sad as some people think it might be, it appears that Tyler Myers and Erhoff are definitely on the trade block.
    That is why I was shocked the Islanders didn't give up their pick this year. You know it is the #5 overall pick. What happens next year if you are bad and WIN the lottery, only to have to give the pick to Buffalo?

I am curious to see what Murray has up his sleeve.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post

That is why I was shocked the Islanders didn't give up their pick this year. You know it is the #5 overall pick. What happens next year if you are bad and WIN the lottery, only to have to give the pick to Buffalo?

I am curious to see what Murray has up his sleeve.
    That's why I'm glad they're doing this, because I don't expect them to be any good next year so we could get an even higher pick

vCash
    Yeah, I think garth is making this decision for himself, rather than making it for the organization. If the team is bad this season, he knows he is finished, so having a pick next year doesn't matter to him at all. So he keeps the pick and tries to compete as much as he can this year.

vCash
    Rumors Rumors and more Rumors.

Apparently, Florida and Buffalo have received "several" offers from teams for their 1st and 2nd picks this year. The teams were not named, but it was reported that Florida and Buffalo have each been offered;

Top 6 forward currently playing with the team
    1st round pick this year + 1st next year
    Along with the teams Top prospect in the organization.

All for the number 1 or 2 pick this year.

Murray did admit he has fielded calls, but he never said if they were good or bad offers. He pretty much just said he listens every time the phone rings. The several teams who are after the 1st or 2nd pick are pretty much all playoff teams, so Both first round picks we get will be at the bottom of the draft. What would you do if you were offered this as a GM?

vCash
    I would consider a deal for a 2014 and 2015 first rounder with a top-6 player and top prospect. I am so looking forward to Friday and the wheeling and dealing. Let's see what Murray can do in the big chair at draft time!

vCash
    This is definitely one of the most anticipated drafts that I can remember for the Sabres. What would be very interesting is if Florida picks one of the Sams with their pick. I highly doubt it, but if it happens, the Sabres will receive a kings ransom for their 2nd pick. I do expect a lot of trades for this draft. Buffalo has to spend 16 million to reach the salary cap floor. I doubt they will sign any free agents. Most likely we will trade for a player with a bad contract, to get their pick in return.

vCash
    This is definitely one of the most anticipated drafts that I can remember for the Sabres. What would be very interesting is if Florida picks one of the Sams with their pick. I highly doubt it, but if it happens, the Sabres will receive a kings ransom for their 2nd pick. I do expect a lot of trades for this draft. Buffalo has to spend 16 million to reach the salary cap floor. I doubt they will sign any free agents. Most likely we will trade for a player with a bad contract, to get their pick in return.
    Or do you think Buffalo would just sit at 2 and take Ekblad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    Or do you think Buffalo would just sit at 2 and take Ekblad?

This scenario might end up playing out tonight for us to watch.

They are saying Vancouver is very close to getting the first pick with a trade. They pick 6th now. Do they want the defensemen that bad? Or do they know that when they pick at 6, The Sams, Dreistal, Dal Colle will be gone and they want offense.

vCash
    Ok, here is a doozy of a rumor just reported on NHL LIVE. a 4 team trade involving Buffalo, Chicago, Vancouver and Florida. The first part of the trade is as follows;

Buffalo trades their first round pick to Chicago for Johnny Odouya and Patrick Sharp as well as their 2016 First round pick.

Chicago then trades their two first round picks to Vancouver for Kesler, another player and a high pick in 2016 (that I could not hear). Chicago then dumps salary, gets their player and resign Toews and Unfortunately Kane.

Vancouver then has 3 first round picks. They all go to Florida for the number one pick, plus Florida will give Vancouver another undetermined pick.

Florida picks 2nd, which still might be Echlad and have 2 extra picks in the first round.

I cannot imagine a scenario like this actually paying off, but the Florida GM already said he received an offer that is well over and beyond "fair".

vCash
    Ok, here is a doozy of a rumor just reported on NHL LIVE. a 4 team trade involving Buffalo, Chicago, Vancouver and Florida. The first part of the trade is as follows;

Buffalo trades their first round pick to Chicago for Johnny Odouya and Patrick Sharp as well as their 2016 First round pick.

Chicago then trades their two first round picks to Vancouver for Kesler, another player and a high pick in 2016 (that I could not hear). Chicago then dumps salary, gets their player and resign Toews and Unfortunately Kane.

Vancouver then has 3 first round picks. They all go to Florida for the number one pick, plus Florida will give Vancouver another undetermined pick.

Florida picks 2nd, which still might be Echlad and have 2 extra picks in the first round.

I cannot imagine a scenario like this actually paying off, but the Florida GM already said he received an offer that is well over and beyond "fair".
    Only way I am giving up #2 to the Blackhawks is if Kane is coming back as part of the deal.

vCash
    Unfortunately, Toews and Kane want to play together, so that leaves Buffalo out of it. After hearing Kanes family talk about Kane coming home, I had always hoped that was true. But it isn't. Kane and Toews signed identical deals last time around and they are in conversations right now to sign an extensions together, again with identical money and years.

Rumors from Kane's family talked about how Kane turned down Chicago's offer for an extension at the trade deadline, just because he wanted to come here next year when his contract is up. Now, it is becoming more obvious, that Kane turned down the contract offer last year, so him and Toews can negotiate together in the off season.

They are both asking for 12 Million. Last year at the deadline, Chicago offered Kane to be the highest paid player at 10 million, but he said nope. Most Likely Toews and Kane will get 10.5 Million and that leaves Chicago needing to dump salary because they would have 62.5 million in salary dedicated to 8 players. Odouya and Sharp coming here helps that cause with eliminating about 10 million from their books.

I would love the trade. Being they are changing the rules of the draft, Buffalo might be changing strategies and will try to field a team to compete. Sharp and Odouya will help. Then if Buffalo finishes in the middle of the pack again with the expected 11-15th pick that we usually always have, then the new change for the draft benefits us.

vCash
    Sabres draft Sam Reinhart at #2. I personally love the pick! Wonder if Murray gets back into Round 1 again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast