Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Ed Reed

vCash

Ed Reed

Free agent Ed Reed, 35, told reporters at Ravens CB Lardarius Webb's annual softball event Sunday that he hopes to continue playing football.
    It's our first Reed update since mid-February, an indication of how nonexistent NFL interest in him has been. Reed says he's "taking my time," but "still preparing to play," although he doesn't want to participate in training camp. It's possible a safety-needy team would give Reed a look after Week 1, when base salaries are no longer guaranteed. The bottom fell out on Reed's career in 2012. The Texans signed him last offseason to a three-year, $15 million contract on owner Bob McNair's mandate, but released Reed in November. He latched on with the Jets but was ineffective in seven appearances with New York.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2222/ed-reed

He wants to play and the Colts obviously have that hole at safety. Yes Howell could be the guy, but I'm not sold that Sergio Brown/Colt Anderson/UDFA Dewey McDonald is adequate competition/depth.

I actually wanted us to sign Reed last year instead of Landry, but he's available again. I understand he is quickly declining and could be regarded as a bottom safety. But, I think signing him could help the team even if he doesn't play much. He can act as a mentor to Howell and the younger players in the secondary. Maybe reuniting with Pagano and Reggie Wayne will rejuvenate him. I don't know.

I don't think it would be an awful idea to bring him in. He'd cost nothing.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I'm not huge on a player who wants to play for a new team and also doesn't want to participate in training camp. However Reed has played for Pagano before and should know the system, so this would be a good news bad news thing.

Also I'm not sure that Reed really wants to battle for a starting spot....if I remember right wasn't he complaining about someone beating him out in Houston last year?

If his mind is right and he comes in with a team first attitude and is willing to do whatever he needs to do to help the team, them I'm on board. If he wants to be gifted the starting spot without having to earn it then I'm kind of leery.

vCash
    Right, this is all assuming his attitude checks out okay which I think is possible given his connection to Pagano/Wayne.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I hear you guys.... but this isn't 25 year old Ed Reed and I just think the ship has sailed on his career... sad but true.

vCash
    Reed is done, you guys would be way better off without him. He wasn't just getting beat like a drum like Kareem jackson, he was LOST on the field last year, I've never seen a guy 30 yards out of position so often. I think he mailed it in after the Super Bowl
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL