Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Cardinals (30-27) vs. and at Royals (26-30) June 2-5

Cardinals vs. and at Royals
    Monday, June 2, 7:10 PM CDT , Busch Stadium

Danny Duffy, LHP
    35.1 IP, 2-5, 3.57 ERA, 1.25 WHIP
    Duffy's fifth start was short, just four-plus innings, and he gave up five earned runs for the second straight time. There was talk of a "dead arm" issue by manager Ned Yost although Duffy merely blamed "horrible pitches."
    Shelby Miller, RHP
    61.2 IP, 6-4, 3.94 ERA, 1.46 WHIP
    The constant flow of baserunners finally caught up to Miller on Wednesday, when he allowed a career-most seven runs. Limiting walks and home runs would be a good place to start; he also must improve in his ability to hold runners on.
    Tuesday, June 3, 6:15 PM CDT , Busch Stadium

James Shields, RHP
    80.1 IP, 6-3, 3.36 ERA, 1.17 WHIP
    If Shields made just three mistakes on Thursday, as manager Ned Yost put it, then they cost him dearly. The Blue Jays hammered each of those mistakes for a two-run homers. Shields still has six wins in his last seven decisions.
    Jaime Garcia, LHP
    19.2 IP, 1-0, 4.12 ERA, 0.81 WHIP
    Garcia allowed a two-run second inning in his last start, but settled down to finish with a seven-inning, three-run quality start. Garcia's biggest trouble was mistakes left over the plate as he allowed two solo homers.
    Wednesday, June 4, 7:10 PM CDT , Kauffman Stadium

Adam Wainwright, RHP
    85.1 IP, 8-3, 2.32 ERA, 0.91 WHIP
    In his last start against the Giants on Friday, Wainwright struggled through 4 1/3 innings, allowing eight hits and seven runs en route to his shortest start of the season. He still has quality starts in nine of 12 starts and a 2.32 ERA.
    Jason Vargas, LHP
    77.0 IP, 5-2, 3.39 ERA, 1.23 WHIP
    Vargas was at his frustrating best in a 6-1 win on Friday night, forcing the Blue Jays to strand nine runners in his six innings. He was able to pitch inside, keeping them from extending their hands to get a good rip

Thursday, June 5, 7:10 PM CDT , Kauffman Stadium

Michael Wacha, RHP
    73.1 IP, 4-3, 2.45 ERA, 1.06 WHIP
    In his last start, Wacha tossed six scoreless innings while scattering three hits before being done in by a rain delay. Wacha has quality starts in 10 of his 12 outings this season and hasn't allowed more than three runs in any start.
    Yordano Ventura, RHP
    57.1 IP, 2-5, 3.45 ERA, 1.26 WHIP
    After being skipped in the last turn of the rotation, Ventura returns after nine days of rest. He left his last start in the third inning with lateral elbow discomfort. Tests indicated nothing seriously wrong.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Ugh...

vCash
    Offense continues to struggle..

vCash
    Sad. Miller had a great night all the way up to Yadi falling asleep defensively and letting 2 easily handled balls past.

The offense has been anemic

vCash
    This offense continues to blow. Way too much pressure on the pitching staff trying to be perfect. Dont know what else to say. Its already June and this offense still sucks. A homerun...whats that. Nothing like being pretty much dead last in baseball in hrs. Oh yeah hrs dont matter...i forgot. Well its a heck of l a lot easier scoring with 1 swing of the bat compared to this punching judy offense needing 4 hits to score 1 run. This team is boring as hell.

vCash

^ is the home run derby like Christmas to you? It's all you seem to care about. Yea the team is hitting a home run every inning but that's the least of our worries right now

vCash
    doesnt matter how they do it to me, but they are not scoring. period. that is a huge issue. its been that way all year. i really think its time mabry feels some heat... if they dont start producing soon i want him gone. some fresh eyes and outlook towards hitting could go a long way towards getting a bunch of these guys back on track

vCash

Last I checked home runs don't result in more wins just ask the braves they seemed to only score with the long ball and the end of the season last year they sucked it up because they couldn't score because they couldn't hit homers

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Guys don't bother. He's just going to continue to whine about home runs. We went to the World Series last year not hitting home runs and he's still *****ing. He's just one of those people who loves to ***** about **** whether things are going good or things are going bad.

But the fact remains we need to start scoring runs. We need to either start hitting how many on this team can or we need to start hitting home runs. The home runs seem unlikely to me with who's on roster

I see no sense in firing Mabry. A hitting coach isn't here to teach them how to hit and it's not his fault these guys aren't hitting but like I said in the other thread people are going to ***** about coaches for one thing or another anyway even if it's not relevant to performance so carry on lol

The thing is its veterans not hitting, that's not on Mabry. These are established guys who need to do better. I hate the idea that firing a coach will change anything in baseball because it won't, It's not like football where the offensive or defensive coordinator is trying to run a scheme with the wrong players and won't change or is an awful play caller

Holliday is doing okay, Craig is completely up and down but trending up, Peralta is up and down, Matt Carpenter has been doing great for awhile, Molina is in a slump but has been good all year, Wong has been good since his return and we are currently rotating 3 players in CF and a rookie in RF who's had 3 games

So literally 3-8 right now are in a slump, a rotating player or a rookie. I'm not overly shocked we are having issues.

The big keys are we need to get someone in CF starting and playing everyday. The platoon hasn't been great, RF and 1B need to be productive positions. They're positions offense needs to come from, Craig seems to be trending up.

In his last 23 games he's hit .315, 5 doubles, 3 home runs, .390 OBP. So Craig has been hitting much like himself.

If Taveras does well and CF gets a player playing well consistently I think we will get it going soon

It's also fair to point out we've faced some great pitching the last 5 games. We've faced 2 of the best bullpens back to back and then some extremely good starting pitching
    Last edited by Skippy15; 06-03-2014 at 03:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Guys don't bother. He's just going to continue to whine about home runs. We went to the World Series last year not hitting home runs and he's still *****ing. He's just one of those people who loves to ***** about **** whether things are going good or things are going bad.

But the fact remains we need to start scoring runs. We need to either start hitting how many on this team can or we need to start hitting home runs. The home runs seem unlikely to me with who's on roster

I see no sense in firing Mabry. A hitting coach isn't here to teach them how to hit and it's not his fault these guys aren't hitting

The thing is its veterans not hitting, that's not on Mabry. These are established guys who need to do better. I hate the idea that firing a coach will change anything in baseball because it won't, It's not like football where the offensive or defensive coordinator is trying to run a scheme with the wrong players and won't change or is an awful play caller

We just simply have a group of veterans who isn't hitting

Holliday is doing okay, Craig is completely up and down but trending up, Peralta is up and down, Matt Carpenter has been doing great for awhile, Molina is in a slump but has been good all year, Wong has been good since his return and we are currently rotating 3 players in CF and a rookie in RF who's had 3 games

So literally 3-8 right now are in a slump, a rotating player or a rookie. I'm not overly shocked we are having issues.

The big keys are we need to get someone in CF starting and playing everyday. The platoon hasn't been great, RF and 1B need to be productive positions. They're positions offense needs to come from, Craig seems to be trending up.

In his last 23 games he's hit .315, 5 doubles, 3 home runs, .390 OBP. So Craig has been hitting much like himself.

If Taveras does well and CF gets a player playing well consistently I think we will get it going soon

It's also fair to point out we've faced some great pitching the last 5 games. We've faced 2 of the best bullpens back to back and then some extremely good starting pitching
    I'm with you on Mabry not getting fired. The hitting is going to turn around sooner or later, Mabry being fired might line up with the hitting proving, and Mabry's firing would get the credit for that.

Mabry was a part of the best hitting team all time with runners in scoring position, and a part of this team that is failing to hit with runners in scoring position. He can't get all the credit for them not doing well this year, without getting credit for them having astronomical success last year.

Matt Carpenter is turning it around, and he is key to this team's offense. He just had his 14 game hitting streak snapped, but he put the ball into play well. When he was struggling he was striking out, and not having productive at-bats. Now that seems to be a thing of the past.

I firmly believe in this team's ability to score runs, they just haven't yet. I believe they won't make a liar out of me.

No offense, but calling for firings of personnel isn't going to make this team hit any better.

I expect them to have a much better game this game, and we can't fault them too much for not hitting Duffy, he has great stuff. Especially yesterday, he looked really sharp.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Wong with a granny.... i'll take it

vCash
    I was about to say "I'm not really a Jaime Garcia fan, but he's looked good so far." and then this inning hit me like the Mountain
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlumpledink View Post
    I'm with you on Mabry not getting fired. The hitting is going to turn around sooner or later, Mabry being fired might line up with the hitting proving, and Mabry's firing would get the credit for that.

Mabry was a part of the best hitting team all time with runners in scoring position, and a part of this team that is failing to hit with runners in scoring position. He can't get all the credit for them not doing well this year, without getting credit for them having astronomical success last year.

Matt Carpenter is turning it around, and he is key to this team's offense. He just had his 14 game hitting streak snapped, but he put the ball into play well. When he was struggling he was striking out, and not having productive at-bats. Now that seems to be a thing of the past.

I firmly believe in this team's ability to score runs, they just haven't yet. I believe they won't make a liar out of me.

No offense, but calling for firings of personnel isn't going to make this team hit any better.

I expect them to have a much better game this game, and we can't fault them too much for not hitting Duffy, he has great stuff. Especially yesterday, he looked really sharp.
    Exactly. Mabry has nothing to do with the teams offensive success/failure. He's not telling the team to get beat by the Inside fastball

Quote Originally Posted by Shlumpledink View Post
    I was about to say "I'm not really a Jaime Garcia fan, but he's looked good so far." and then this inning hit me like the Mountain
    I'm a big fan but I think the injuries have pretty much ruined his career potential

vCash

Well where does the blame go? When you have a team that was considered by many to be the team to beat in the NL sucking up a storm, something needs to happen. Maybe I'm a rash and impatient fan, and you can tell me things will turn around till the cows come home, but this play has been unacceptable and there needs to be some accountability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    Well where does the blame go? When you have a team that was considered by many to be the team to beat in the NL sucking up a storm, something needs to happen. Maybe I'm a rash and impatient fan, and you can tell me things will turn around till the cows come home, but this play has been unacceptable and there needs to be some accountability.
    So we hold the guy accountable who has nothing to do with how a player performs?

If Mabry is telling players that we are only going to try to hit home runs or only try to hit ground balls and leg them out then we have a problem

Mabry is doing his job, the silly part is holding this person responsible because you have an unrealistic view of what his job is. At various points this year Matt Holliday, Matt Carpenter, Kolten Wong, Allen Craig, Jon Jay, Peter Bourjos, Matt Adams, Jhonny Peralta, Mark Ellis, Daniel Descalso, Mark Grickuk and others did not do there job

Mabry is there to help them figure out what the issue is. Multiple players have stated the issue. Mabry can't sprinkle pixie dust on them and make them be able to turn on the inside fastball.

I don't care if they fire him or not. I have no love or hate for the guy because he's nothing more than a figure head. He reviews tape with guys and throws them batting practice. That's the jist of his responsibilities.

He didn't teach them how to hit. If he sees guys do something like over stride or their hands drift he will help correct it.

But none of that is relevant here. The players have to go out and execute what they have to do or it doesn't matter.

Like I said, fire him. I don't care. It's nothing about personally needing to keep him. It's the thought process that the hitting coach does anything for MLB hitters that makes a major impact on the team that's completely silly.

These guys are getting paid millions of dollars because of their ability to hit, they do things that all of can't. They're at the MLB level because they already do this. They aren't there to learn and Mabry doesn't teach them. Mabry is a glorified hitters ***** who is there to throw them balls and analyze tape for them when players don't want to.

He doesn't call plays, he doesn't do things during the game to make a difference. He stands there and when a player strikes out he talks to them about what went wrong.

But like I said. Fire him. You can replace him with the greatest hitter ever and this team will still struggle for the moment. Once they get it going people will move onto something else. They're not doing well so everyone wants to fire someone. Please if it helps you vent continue but it won't change a damn thing

He has an important job for hitters to get them the info on pitchers, to help them if they get out of sync but that's not the issue here. The players aren't executing. It's not going to do a damn thing to fire a hitting coach because a new one does the same exact thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast