Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Minnesota Vikings OTA/ Minicamp/Training Camp Thread

I figure we could use a thread dedicated to OTA discussion.

OTA observations: With Bridgewater gone, Cassel takes first-team reps

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The order of red jerseys at Winter Park on Thursday afternoon looked pretty familiar.

Matt Cassel took the reins of the Minnesota Vikings' starting offense as first-round pick Teddy Bridgewater attended a NFL Player's Association event in Los Angeles. Akin to much of last season, Christian Ponder took second-team snaps as both quarterbacks continued to learn a new system under offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

"[Turner] was coaching up everybody from the guys in the first group to the second and third group," Cassel said. "Then it's about getting to know each other. Out here, they're able to watch and see what players do well and build that system around that."

The team's 11-on-11 drills appeared to be won by the defense, as custom this early in the offseason. A few interceptions were had, one each by defensive back Robert Blanton and linebacker Mike Zimmer. Defensive lineman Corey Wootton nearly grabbed Ponder's second pick before bobbling it to the ground.

Ponder looked shaky during Thursday's team drills, completing 10 of 18 passes for one interception, Wootton's near-interception and an additional pass batted down at the line (as tracked by Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press). Ponder also had another dropped interception from safety and sixth-round pick Antone Exum.

With Matt Kaill recovering from surgery, Cassel worked behind a starting offensive line that saw both Kevin Murphy and undrafted free agent Antonio Richardson get time at left tackle. Defensive end Everson Griffen quickly got to the quarterback through both replacements for would-be sacks, but coaches let plays continue through pressure.

Other observations:

Harrison Smith and a combination of Kurt Coleman and Robert Blanton saw first-team snaps at safety with both Andrew Sendejo (back) and Jamarca Sanford (muscle pull) out on Thursday.

Fred Evans filled in at nose tackle for Linval Joseph, who is still recovering from an undisclosed ailment that coach Mike Zimmer said the Vikings knew about before signing him in March.

Blanton's interception was a leaping grab over the middle off Ponder, who was working with the second-team receivers.

Linebacker Chad Greenway saw reps at middle linebacker as he worked with both Audie Cole and Jasper Brinkley in the first-team defense. Second-year linebackers Michael Mauti and Gerald Hodges worked with the second team, along with free agent pickup Dom DeCicco. (First-round pick and linebacker Anthony Barr will miss most offseason work before training camp as he finishes up his degree at UCLA).

One of the offense's top plays of the day was a belated drag route by Cordarrelle Patterson, who caught a bullet from Cassel and blew by both Xavier Rhodes and Blanton before they could get their hands on him.

In the pool for punt/kick return duty on Thursday were Marcus Sherels, Adam Thielen, Jerick McKinnon, Jarius Wright and Erik Lora.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/O...eam_reps052914

vCash
    I have been happy to read a lot about how much Zimmer likes Greenway. It seemed a lot of guys were calling for him to go aftere his rough injury riddled season in 2013 and potential non-fit in Zimmers scheme. I think we may see the best version of Chad Greenway this season with the move to MLB in a more aggressive scheme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    I have been happy to read a lot about how much Zimmer likes Greenway. It seemed a lot of guys were calling for him to go aftere his rough injury riddled season in 2013 and potential non-fit in Zimmers scheme. I think we may see the best version of Chad Greenway this season with the move to MLB in a more aggressive scheme.
    As long as he not asked to drop in coverage we can cover up his deficiencies until we can get a replacement.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video
    You thought Cassel was winning my starting job? Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TearsOfPurple View Post
    As long as he not asked to drop in coverage we can cover up his deficiencies until we can get a replacement.
    the vikings need some veteran leadership.cant get rid of every one right now greenway is the only proven lb er on this team. i have no problems withgreenway on the field he has been a rock on the d since his second season.

vCash
    I'm banking on Greeny having a bounce back year. I'm not sure what he's got left on the contract but this is likely a make or break year for him with the Vikes.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Antone Exum lacks zero confidence

Minnesota Vikings: Rookie rapper Antone Exum lacks no confidence - TwinCities.com (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1jIYIQh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Antone Exum lacks zero confidence

Minnesota Vikings: Rookie rapper Antone Exum lacks no confidence - TwinCities.com (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/1jIYIQh
    That's a terrible article title. Double negative.

vCash

vCash
    Good on greenway.

vCash
    That's a terrible article title. Double negative.
    I'm not sure what you don't mean by that.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'm not sure what you don't mean by that.
    The actual article, if you click it, says : "Minnesota Vikings: Rookie rapper Antone Exum lacks no confidence"

Just poorly worded.

vCash
    The actual article, if you click it, says : "Minnesota Vikings: Rookie rapper Antone Exum lacks no confidence"

Just poorly worded.
    lol gotcha....I deliberately used a double negative myself to show I understood what you were sayin'
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash

This depth chart was published by PFF today. I personally feel some of the rankings are conservative. I would rank Rhodes and Griffen as Good Starter.

vCash
    Red is not bad enough for Ponder. He should have his own color.

vCash
    I miss Vikings football
    I just want it to be September already.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast