Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,011
    vCash
    1500

    Sooooo...why is Matt Kemp getting paid $20 Million again?

    This dude is an injury-prone overrated hasbeen. Why is he getting paid so much? He hasn't been good in 3 years. I don't know what you people see in this dude.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,685
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDawg View Post
    This dude is an injury-prone overrated hasbeen. Why is he getting paid so much? He hasn't been good in 3 years. I don't know what you people see in this dude.
    Because the contract was signed after the 2011 season.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Could be the dumbest question of the season.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,422
    vCash
    1500
    Unfortunately in baseball you get paid for what you have done not what you are going to do. At the time he signed his contract he was arguably the best player in baseball. He was a relative iron man having played almost 400 straight games. Coming off an almost 40/40 season and MVP worthy. Don't forget the first month of 2012 he was off to an absolutely blazing start.

    Since that time his body has betrayed him some what and he has abused his body some what. First his hammy blew out, then he tried to run through a wall in Denver and the he was lolly gagging when he blew up his ankle.

    Although he will never approach 40/40 again, I think most of us would be happy if he could put up a .300 average with 25 or so home runs with 15 to 20 stolen bases. If he's healthy I think those numbers are attainable for him, however I don't think he completely healthy right now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    7,325
    vCash
    1500
    You can probably say the same regarding Ethier's contract.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,685
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    Unfortunately in baseball you get paid for what you have done not what you are going to do.
    That's a decision that is completely up to those deciding to do the paying.

    The smartest ones attempt to pay players for what they are expected to do.
    Of course, as you point out, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to have expected Kemp to struggle with injuries as he has.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,613
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDawg View Post
    This dude is an injury-prone overrated hasbeen. Why is he getting paid so much? He hasn't been good in 3 years. I don't know what you people see in this dude.
    He is getting paid 21 million because he had a great season the year before he signed his contract, and he only too 21 so the dodgers would have payroll flexibility, he could have gotten much more.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,613
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    Unfortunately in baseball you get paid for what you have done not what you are going to do. At the time he signed his contract he was arguably the best player in baseball. He was a relative iron man having played almost 400 straight games. Coming off an almost 40/40 season and MVP worthy. Don't forget the first month of 2012 he was off to an absolutely blazing start.

    Since that time his body has betrayed him some what and he has abused his body some what. First his hammy blew out, then he tried to run through a wall in Denver and the he was lolly gagging when he blew up his ankle.

    Although he will never approach 40/40 again, I think most of us would be happy if he could put up a .300 average with 25 or so home runs with 15 to 20 stolen bases. If he's healthy I think those numbers are attainable for him, however I don't think he completely healthy right now.
    He was really good over all of 2012, whenever he was in games he was playing well. .906 ops with 23HR over 106 games.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,613
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    That's a decision that is completely up to those deciding to do the paying.

    The smartest ones attempt to pay players for what they are expected to do.
    Of course, as you point out, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to have expected Kemp to struggle with injuries as he has.
    But what do you base your expectations on? Past performance, you say, OK grienke has had this xFIP and K/BB rate over the last 3 years, judging by what comparable players have made in free agency we expected him to create X production over Y years, so we will pay him Z dollars.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,685
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    But what do you base your expectations on?
    Ideally, past performance with an aging expectation based on similar players, scouting of that individual player, that player's medical and health, biomechanics, anything available.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a higher plane
    Posts
    4,665
    vCash
    1500
    he isnt the same after running into the wall full speed

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26,734
    vCash
    1500
    ***** happens.

    guy shouldve been a 300 30 100 30 guy near every year but he hurt himself.

    Ethiers contract was worse, he was a guy at the time hitting below his numbers and known to be streaky as heck, so now we're paying a guy who hits 270 15 70 15 mil a year and he doesnt have elite speed or elite defense.

    and crawford is making 20 mil

    and what do you do, bang on Kemp? get outta here

    This is how we do it! I still believe



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,613
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Ideally, past performance with an aging expectation based on similar players, scouting of that individual player, that player's medical and health, biomechanics, anything available.
    At the time he signed the contract, he was a year from free agency, robbed of the MVP, and was 26 and had played practically every game for 4 straight years.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Can't blame the Dodgers on this any team with the wherewithal to pay Kemp 4 years ago would have done so.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,087
    vCash
    1500
    Many players do what they have to do to get that first big contract... then they stop doing it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •