Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sooooo...why is Matt Kemp getting paid $20 Million again?

This dude is an injury-prone overrated hasbeen. Why is he getting paid so much? He hasn't been good in 3 years. I don't know what you people see in this dude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDawg View Post
    This dude is an injury-prone overrated hasbeen. Why is he getting paid so much? He hasn't been good in 3 years. I don't know what you people see in this dude.
    Because the contract was signed after the 2011 season.

vCash
    Could be the dumbest question of the season.

vCash
    Unfortunately in baseball you get paid for what you have done not what you are going to do. At the time he signed his contract he was arguably the best player in baseball. He was a relative iron man having played almost 400 straight games. Coming off an almost 40/40 season and MVP worthy. Don't forget the first month of 2012 he was off to an absolutely blazing start.

Since that time his body has betrayed him some what and he has abused his body some what. First his hammy blew out, then he tried to run through a wall in Denver and the he was lolly gagging when he blew up his ankle.

Although he will never approach 40/40 again, I think most of us would be happy if he could put up a .300 average with 25 or so home runs with 15 to 20 stolen bases. If he's healthy I think those numbers are attainable for him, however I don't think he completely healthy right now.

vCash
    You can probably say the same regarding Ethier's contract.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    Unfortunately in baseball you get paid for what you have done not what you are going to do.
    That's a decision that is completely up to those deciding to do the paying.

The smartest ones attempt to pay players for what they are expected to do.
    Of course, as you point out, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to have expected Kemp to struggle with injuries as he has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDawg View Post
    He is getting paid 21 million because he had a great season the year before he signed his contract, and he only too 21 so the dodgers would have payroll flexibility, he could have gotten much more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    Unfortunately in baseball you get paid for what you have done not what you are going to do. At the time he signed his contract he was arguably the best player in baseball. He was a relative iron man having played almost 400 straight games. Coming off an almost 40/40 season and MVP worthy. Don't forget the first month of 2012 he was off to an absolutely blazing start.

Since that time his body has betrayed him some what and he has abused his body some what. First his hammy blew out, then he tried to run through a wall in Denver and the he was lolly gagging when he blew up his ankle.

Although he will never approach 40/40 again, I think most of us would be happy if he could put up a .300 average with 25 or so home runs with 15 to 20 stolen bases. If he's healthy I think those numbers are attainable for him, however I don't think he completely healthy right now.
    He was really good over all of 2012, whenever he was in games he was playing well. .906 ops with 23HR over 106 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    That's a decision that is completely up to those deciding to do the paying.

The smartest ones attempt to pay players for what they are expected to do.
    Of course, as you point out, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to have expected Kemp to struggle with injuries as he has.
    But what do you base your expectations on? Past performance, you say, OK grienke has had this xFIP and K/BB rate over the last 3 years, judging by what comparable players have made in free agency we expected him to create X production over Y years, so we will pay him Z dollars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    But what do you base your expectations on?
    Ideally, past performance with an aging expectation based on similar players, scouting of that individual player, that player's medical and health, biomechanics, anything available.

vCash
    he isnt the same after running into the wall full speed

vCash
    ***** happens.

guy shouldve been a 300 30 100 30 guy near every year but he hurt himself.

Ethiers contract was worse, he was a guy at the time hitting below his numbers and known to be streaky as heck, so now we're paying a guy who hits 270 15 70 15 mil a year and he doesnt have elite speed or elite defense.

and crawford is making 20 mil

and what do you do, bang on Kemp? get outta here

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Ideally, past performance with an aging expectation based on similar players, scouting of that individual player, that player's medical and health, biomechanics, anything available.
    At the time he signed the contract, he was a year from free agency, robbed of the MVP, and was 26 and had played practically every game for 4 straight years.

vCash
    Can't blame the Dodgers on this any team with the wherewithal to pay Kemp 4 years ago would have done so.

vCash
    Many players do what they have to do to get that first big contract... then they stop doing it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast