Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yankees May Have Interest In Kendrys Morales

Why not Kendrys Morales for the Yankees?

First baseman Mark Teixeira has missed the past three games due to inflammation in his surgically repaired right wrist. The Yankees lack a legitimate backup first baseman, and catcher Brian McCann made his first professional start at the position Wednesday night.

Morales, who turns 31 on June 20, remains a free agent. In one week, once the first day of baseball’s amateur draft is complete, a team can sign him without losing a high pick. The Yankees are among the teams with potential interest, according to major-league sources.

In addition to Teixeira, the Yankees are also concerned about right fielder Carlos Beltran, who is trying to avoid surgery to remove bone spurs in his right elbow. Morales, like Teixeira and Beltran, is a switch-hitter.

Teixeira, who is scheduled to visit his surgeon for a checkup on Thursday, has said that he expected soreness after surgery on his wrist last year.

Beltran has received two cortisone shots in his elbow, and is in the process of determining whether he can swing without pain. On Thursday, Beltran took 25 swings from each side of the plate and didn't experience any discomfort. He will repeat this workout on Friday.

The Mariners, who reportedly offered Morales a three-year, $30 million contract before he hit the open market, then made him a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer in free agency, are signaling to clubs that they lack the payroll flexibility to add him now, sources say.

The Brewers, another team that could pursue Morales, rank 13th out of the 15 National League clubs in OPS from first base. But like many clubs — articularly those in the NL — they remain concerned that Morales would not be adequate defensively at first.

Morales, though, would be a defensive upgrade over McCann or Kelly Johnson, both of whom have filled in at first during Teixeira’s absence. In addition, the Yankees would not need Morales to play defense every day, presuming that Teixeira was healthy; they also could use him as a designated hitter.

To this point, Alfonso Soriano has been the Yankees’ primary DH. But if Beltran misses significant time, Soriano would be needed more in the outfield, along with Ichiro Suzuki.

The Red Sox, one of the Yankees’ rivals in the evenly matched and surprisingly mediocre AL East, re-signed free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew last week for about $10.2 million — the pro-rated portion of the $14.1 million qualifying offer.

If the Yankees signed Morales before the draft — something they would do only if they feared competition once he became an unrestricted free agent — they would forfeit the 55th overall pick.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/k...fscom:mlbonfox

I think we all knew the chances of the Yankees checking in on Morales was high. Rosenthal is reporting that sources have indicated that the Yankees are one of several teams interested.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    I think he is signed after the draft

I meese you Señor Rodriguez

vCash
    I think it's a move you have to make at this point. Tex is made of glass and we certainly can't count on him staying consistently healthy for the rest of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I think it's a move you have to make at this point. Tex is made of glass and we certainly can't count on him staying consistently healthy for the rest of the season.
    This. And if Tex does stay healthy then this is just a added bonus. A real backup 1st baseman and a guy who can DH since Soriano looks done and who knows what will happen with Beltran.

vCash
    I was dead set against signing him and now I want him bad. So I waffled. Who cares!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    This. And if Tex does stay healthy then this is just a added bonus. A real backup 1st baseman and a guy who can DH since Soriano looks done and who knows what will happen with Beltran.
    Yeah I think you have to make Soriano a part time player at this point, strictly facing left handed pitchers.

vCash
    Sign me up
    Can play 1st, DH , switch hitter with pop.
    Sori should only play vs Lefties (although him and ichiro seem to only be good vs lefties)

Only problem is several teams will be trying to lure Morales..
    Mark Teixeira #25
    R- 20 H-30 HR-9 RBI-25 BB-19SO-27AVG-.259 OBP-.377 SLG-.509

vCash
    this means there's a problem w/ Teix.
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KniCks4LiFe View Post
    this means there's a problem w/ Teix.
    Not really. His wrist is stiff, docs said it'll happen and docs confirmed that's all it is. Soriano is awful and we could really use another power type bat.

vCash
    OK. So who gets cut off the roster.

The team likes to carry 12 pitchers and needs to do so, with pitchers like Whitley who only go 5 innings and though Tanaka nd Kuroda might be able to do so, you can't expect Phelps and Nuno to give seven innings every outing.

Assuming 13 position players, you have McCann, Murphy, Tex, Roberts, Jeter, Johnson, Solarte, Ryan, Gardner, Ells, Ichiro, Soriano and Almonte (who is a placeholder for Beltran).

If Beltran comes back and Tex is able to play, it is hard to find a spot for Morales without weakening the pitching staff or releasing Johnson. We also have a decision to make when Cervelli comes back.

vCash
    JR deserves to stay when Cervix is healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Agreed. He's earned it.

vCash
    Is losing the 55th pick in the draft going to really cripple the Yankees? Sign him now!
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Why?? What has he done to deserve the spot over Cerveli? Cerveli has been working hard and producing over the last 5 years. He's also a better hitting catcher than most catchers in the league so I never understand comments like this. The dislike I see for Cerveli reminds me of everything people said about Melky back in the day and look how that turned out. He's a top player in the league and most here wanted him outed.

It seems as though most of you only like the guys the Yanks tell you, you should like. Case in point is Romine who clearly isn't ready for this level but most of you wanted him over Cerveli as well. Lets be honest. You guys want anyone who isnt named Cerveli and I promise this will bite us in the ***** just like the Melky situation did.

vCash
    Um. I am a big fan of cervelli. Always have been. You can go back throughout my time here and you will see that.
    What has Jr done to deserve to stay? More like what has he done to deserve not to.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast