Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Berliner's Official OTA Thread

If I have the time, I will post here updates for every OTA practice that is open to the media and later for the TC as well. Maybe the mods can change the title when TC begins.

Today is the first practice that is open to media. Yesterday was the first one for the players. Let's see where everybody lines up even though it doesn't really matter.

Moreover, Khyri Thornton and Davante Adams won't participate today because they attend an official NFL Rookie event or something like that.

vCash
    As always, injuries first
    Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 27 Sek.
    Appears RB DuJuan Harris (knee) is practicing again, and Johnathan Franklin is not.

Aron Yohannes ‏@AronYohannes
    RB DuJuan Harris is here today and looks pretty good coming off injury. Ran pretty well just now. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
    Brandon Bostick, Andrew Quarless, Nick Perry and CM3 all on sideline for start of drills #Packers

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 7 Sek.
    Clean cut Bryan Bulaga wearing knee brace but full participant. #Packers

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 40 Sek.
    Casey Hayward (hamstring) is practicing. His goal was to be back for OTAs.
    Defense
    Brian Carriveau ‏@BrianCarriveau
    Under the tutelage of Winston Moss RT @SpoonWFRV: Peppers working with the linebackers so far during OTAs. #packers pic.twitter.com/Bc5E8uPiKb

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Definitely a different defensive line taking shape. Different body types. Peppers not with the position group this drill.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde
    Other observation: New "Team Takeaway" period in which defenders of all shapes and sizes INT passes in overage, including D-linemen.
    Special Teams
    Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig 14 Sek.
    Punt returns begin with Cobb, Hyde, Janis and Tramon. Abbrederis went back there initially but won't get his chance til 2nd unit. #Packers

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause
    Cobb, Tramon Williams, Hyde, Abbrederis fielding punts. Abbrederis just 'broke' one.

Jared Abbrederis breaks a punt return and the locals in the Ray Nitschke Field stands erupt. #Packers

In his first punt return of the day, Jared Abbrederis returned it well past coverage. Looked good. #Packers
    OTA/ camp battles
    Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
    JC Tretter takes first center snap. Hyde lining up at safety with ones

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky
    Bryan Bulaga takes the first snap at right tackle. He has a sizable brace on his left knee. #Packers

Rookie TE Richard Rodgers was just working with the third team. Scott Tolzein at QB. #Packers
    Probably because of his grandma
    Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty Not seeing jerel worthy, appears to be absent

Having fun
    Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 22 Sek.
    You know it's OTAs when Josh Sitton goes for a back-shoulder throw in a drill.

Also, Julius Peppers is one big human. #Packers #analysis

Let me just say, every time Jared Abbrederis touches the ball, the fans here go wild. #Packers
    Last edited by Berliner; 05-29-2014 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    Offense
    Here's the current o-line from right to left: Bulaga, Lang, Tretter, Sitton, Bakhtiari. #Packers

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    And Derek Sherrod is practicing. This would be the 2011 first-round pick's first full offseason/camp at tackle.

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty
    Sherrod at LT with No. 2 offense, Barclay RT

Matt Flynn directing No. 2 offense, which features Sherrod at LT.

Nice catch by rookie WR Jeff Janis. #Packers

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Catch of the day from Jordy Nelson. Outstretched on a slant from Rodgers.

Lyerla has to catch that pass from Flynn. #drop

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Colt Lyerla makes his first play in practice. A high, difficult outstretched grab over the middle. Loud cheers from the crowd here.

Paul Imig ‏@Paulimig
    Colt Lyerla with a jumping grab and he gets a very nice ovation from #Packers fans in the stands. They're already supporting this guy.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Not a bad day for Abbrederis. Real tough, low grab from Tolzien.

Rodgers to Nelson on fly pattern. Pretty play. Something we have gotten used to. #Packers

Tretter still taking the snaps at center with the first-team. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
    Jordy Nelson nice sideline grab...though Clinton Dix could've laid him out in game situation

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod
    It's been a half of one practice...and you can already see Flynn is the best No 2 QB I've seen in a little less than 2 years on beat

Defense
    Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 1 Min.
    Peppers playing LOLB with ones, Neal at ROLB in place of Matthews

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 23 Sek.
    Packers crank music at full blast during a blitz period.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Sean Richardson with a nice break on the ball for a deflection in 7 on 7. They'll want to see him work in space this summer.
    New Stuff?!
    #Packers playing music -- @GreenDay right now -- during team periods. That's new.

vCash
    HHCD has signed his contract FYI

vCash
    Defense
    Julius Peppers is currently doing drills with the linebackers. pic.twitter.com/5qqH3MsQAD

Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 46 Sek.
    Mehr
    Peppers practices with OLBs during individual drills.

Safeties coach Darren Perry gave a blocking demonstration and said: "If you have a blocker, well, ******* 'em." Crowd called him a potty mouth.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Looks like Carl Bradford has been working at OLB today. His coach at ASU didn't think it was much of a debate, saying he's an edge rusher.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    Julius Peppers and the OLB's join Trgovac's group. He towers over everyone.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne
    OTA Analysis: Adrian Hubbard is tall.
    Having fun again
    Mike Vandermause ‏@MikeVandermause 43 Sek.
    You know we're in relaxed portion of #Packers practice when Aaron Rodgers lines up at LB.
    That's it for the first #Packers open OTA practice. Will have more after open locker room. Next open OTA is Tuesday.

vCash
    MM presser
    Here's coach Mike McCarthy: "It was great to get out on the field. Feel like the football team is off to a good, solid start."

Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty
    McCarthy: 2 practices so far in phase 3, team off to solid start. compared to past seasons ahead of where we've been at this time.

MM on new takeaway drill at practice: Team takeaway is a team fundamental. Every player on the field needs to learn to handle the football.

MM on 3rd year of CBA OTA rules: learning CBA tempo, new players learning tempo need to practice at. Better job this year than in past

MM: You don't see players on ground as much.

MM: We want to operate on lower volume of scheme. Went after scheme evaluation with focus of doing less, with more people available.

MM on defense: want lower volume of scheme, it's where needs to be now, cut 10 to 15 percent. Make sure have more people available. ...

... learned hard lessons of late playing players who weren't ready for scheme.

MM on competition: I think training camp will answer that a little more. On paper I think there's competition throughout the team.

MM: Training camp will answer if we have more competition than past years. It's talented 89-man roster. As coach, that's all you can ask for

MM: This is an experienced team. We've been around each other more.

McCarthy refers to 'huge veteran free agency class' this year. Meaning Julius Peppers. Not happy with low laughter rate. Will be addressed.

MM on having versatile player on D: The more a player can do is obviously the value he brings to your team and enhances creativity of coach.

Having Peppers and Matthews allows MM to be creative on defense while still reducing scheme.

MM on NFLPA Rookie Premiere: Do I like that they're missing practice? No, I don't like it. And I don't understand it.

MM hasn't talked to Finley. Said he was told he's in great shape ..... won't "touch with long pole" on rookies being absent for NFLPA stuff.

MM on Tretter: doing really good job, been here every day since season ended february all the way thru. Shown in way he's jumped in there.

MM: Been impressed with Tretter. I like what I've seen.

MM on Colt Lyerla: Obviously Colt hasn't played. Talking to him, he feels like he has some rust to knock off.

MM on Lyerla: Figuring it out. Adjustment. "Obviously, Colt hasn't played" and has rust to knock off.

MM on why bring in Lyerla: lot of conversation. our scouting staff does really good job. i'm excited have him here, excited about helping ..
    ... young man who's been through what he's been thru. We're excited to impact this young man's life. everything else take care of self

MM: Credit to our program, resources we have to give Lyerla a chance.

MM on Julius Peppers: Very professional, his approach. Takes great care of himself. You could see that in Phase 1 and Phase 2.

MM says Peppers "moves like a young man.... impressive person from all angles." In great shape. "he looks awesome" and natural at OLB.

MM: NFL has gone more to a sub-personnel game. OLB position in base and sub, flexibility that body type gives you helps us. Demanding pos.

MM: Hyde can definitely be 4-down football player. Very good player, whether nickel or other position. Give him opp to be on field.

MM likes to be a father figure. lol
    Kyle Cousineau ‏@KCousineau09
    Sounds like Colt Lyerla has a huge fan in Mike McCarthy.

vCash
    Ouch, poor Bears fans
    Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 4 Min.
    Peppers on playing with Clay Matthews... "A really dominant player on the other side, I really havenít had that, ever." #packers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Berliner View Post
    HHCD has signed his contract FYI
    He said after the practice in his interview that he hasn't signed a contract. The reporter then said there must have been a false report.

vCash

#YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Burnett can jump out of a building. He may be the most explosive player in the NFL when it comes to Vert and broad jump. I believe he would have the combine record for the Broad Jump if he would have performed at the combine. He had a 40'' vert and 11'08'' broad at his proday. Not sure if you can find better combined results in those 2.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=FS

Seriously, look at that. I'd love for someone to show me a more impressive combine/pro day. I'm sure there are a bunch out there when you take all the numbers into consideration but if its only Vert and Broad. I'm doubting it. I didn't realize his shuttle and 3 cone were that good also. Insane.

I also wasn't aware that Burnett and Clinton-Dix were identical in height and weight(1 lb difference). Burnett tested better in every single category though. They had a similar 10 and 20 yard split but .07 difference in 40. Burnett had 5 more on the bench, .29 faster on 20 shuttle, .24 faster on 3 cone, 21'' further in broad, 6.5'' higher on vert. Clinton-Dix had a good combine, don't get me wrong BUT Burnett is just a freak and he weighed 1 lb more. Burnett probably had one of the most impressive pro days by the numbers that I've seen.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 05-29-2014 at 07:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    Burnett can jump out of a building. He may be the most explosive player in the NFL when it comes to Vert and broad jump. I believe he would have the combine record for the Broad Jump if he would have performed at the combine. He had a 40'' vert and 11'08'' broad at his proday. Not sure if you can find better combined results in those 2.
    If he had done that broad at the combine, it would be the record, IIRC.

So no, probably not heh.

vCash
    I googled world record broad

"12′ 2.1″"

lol, he missed the world record, the world ****ing record by 4 inches, if the broad day numbers are truly accurate.

vCash
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

Since 2006, Jamie Collins holds the combine record at 11'07 inches which includes every position. 2 others had a 11'04'' broad. So basically only 3 people to perform at the combine in 9 years are within 4 inches of Burnett and only 1 is within an inch..

It's fairly apparent that TT likes physical specimens at Safety. McMillian tested out of the building also at the combine. That is why I wasn't completely sold on TT drafting Clinton-Dix even though I mocked him to GB. More than anything I did it because I wanted him. I had either HAHA or Shazier to GB. It's not like HAHA was bad or even average at the combine as far as numbers go. He just wasn't on the same level as plays like Burnett, McMillian, and Collins.

Donald Washington had a ****ing 45'' vert in 2010. That is nearly 4 feet. He can jump straight in the air and put the bottom of his foot on Snookie's(Or whatever her name is) face.

Looking at other numbers and Burnett would also be top 10 over the last 9 years in the 20 yard shuttle. Another interesting fact is Casey Hayward is sixth and .02 faster than Burnett.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 05-29-2014 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    So Peppers is going to play OLB opposite of Clay, man thats pretty sick. Our DL looks good, and DB's look deep, my only issue is ILB, but shouldn't be a major problem. It's truly a make ore break season for our defense, if it doesn't improve dramatically I see Capers getting fired. But I have faith in our D, it looks good so far.

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...-LB-CB-OL-SPEC

Since 2006, Jamie Collins holds the combine record at 11'07 inches which includes every position. 2 others had a 11'04'' broad. So basically only 3 people to perform at the combine in 9 years are within 4 inches of Burnett and only 1 is within an inch..

It's fairly apparent that TT likes physical specimens at Safety. McMillian tested out of the building also at the combine. That is why I wasn't completely sold on TT drafting Clinton-Dix even though I mocked him to GB. More than anything I did it because I wanted him. I had either HAHA or Shazier to GB. It's not like HAHA was bad or even average at the combine as far as numbers go. He just wasn't on the same level as plays like Burnett, McMillian, and Collins.

Donald Washington had a ****ing 45'' vert in 2010. That is nearly 4 feet. He can jump straight in the air and put the bottom of his foot on Snookie's(Or whatever her name is) face.
    11 foot 8. I'm just trying to picture that.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast