Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Dodgers' Outfield Situation

Unfortunately, this probably deserves its own thread at this point.

Despite having the most productive (offensively) OF in the majors
    http://dodgersdigest.com/2014/05/17/...at-production/

The OF is a bit of a mess.

One of the biggest problems is defense. I've been pounding out digital ink abut needing a true CFer for years.

Kemp, despite decent offensive production in 2014, has been replacement level due to poor defensive metrics.

https://twitter.com/billplunkettocr/...88959345885185
    Mattingly: Matt Kemp will start working out in LF. #Dodgers
    This would appear to make Ethier the every day CFer.
    This isn't an ideal situation as Ethier isn't a good CFer, though he may be the best CFer on the roster, and doesn't hit lefties at all. He needs a right-handed platoon partner. SVS shouldn't be playing in CF.

If Kemp starts playing LF then I don't see Crawford getting much playing time. I wouldn't imagine a platoon with Kemp and Crawford.

Interesting to see how this shakes out.

It should have been addressed in the off season.

vCash
    We are really hamstrung by this right now.

I feel Puig and Kemp need to be playing every day, but I don't want current Kemp playing CF. The real best case scenario would be to call up Pederson who is supposed to be a good defensive CF. However, since that it is completely unrealistic at this point, that means Ethier needs to be playing CF. It isn't all bad. Ethier and Crawford have been quietly having great Mays.

vCash
    We have seen these threads come and go here. The outfield is changing when either one of those outfielders gets injured or when one of them gets traded. Until then we will have the same situation as of now - a rotating outfield except Puig. Nothing of insight will be gained by a going back and forth on a circle jerk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller View Post
    We have seen these threads come and go here. The outfield is changing when either one of those outfielders gets injured or when one of them gets traded. Until then we will have the same situation as of now - a rotating outfield except Puig. Nothing of insight will be gained by a going back and forth on a circle jerk.

You mean a rotating OF of Kemp/Dre cause Puig and Crawford are playing great on both sides of the plate.

I can picture the dodgers giving Crawford a day off, thus, playing Kemp in LF.

Right now its Dre's turn to keep the job in CF. Just have to wait and see.

vCash
    I feel like Kemp and Puig should be starting everyday and on days where Ethier is the 3rd outfielder, he plays CF and on days where Crawford is the 3rd outfielder, Kemp goes back to CF.

Obviously in a perfect world we would have this: Kemp LF, Pederson CF, Puig RF... But that is simply unrealistic for this season at least, although I think we will see Pederson play in LA this year.

vCash
    At this point, I would trade kemp for a bag of peanuts. At least with the peanuts, we could still enjoy them and then poop them out and get a better product than Kemp in return.
    Last edited by Hangin n Wangin; 05-27-2014 at 01:15 PM.

vCash
    Reflecting on the outfield situation, I like the outfield situation but it keeps AVS down in the depth chart. I still believe they have to trade either CC or Dre but I like that we have 4 guys going for two positions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    At this point, I would trade kemp for a bag of peanuts. At least with the peanuts, we could still enjoy them and then poop them out and get a better product than Kemp in return.
    Uhhhhh what? Kemp is our 2nd best outfielder

This is ridiculous that he has been on the bench 5 straight days, RIDICULOUS!

vCash
    Stats aside, my impression of the Dodgers this year is the Puig, Crawford, and Ethier are playing like they want it more than Kemp. The 2014 Dodgers are showing themselves to be quite aggressive at the plate and on the bases, carrying themselves with a swagger and expectation to win.

Kemp simply hasn't changed his intensity to match his teammates and warrant opportunities to play.

vCash
    Ethiers will have 10-5 rights pretty soon too, so if they are going to trade him, they are going to need to do it by opening day next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    I feel like Kemp and Puig should be starting everyday and on days where Ethier is the 3rd outfielder, he plays CF and on days where Crawford is the 3rd outfielder, Kemp goes back to CF.

Obviously in a perfect world we would have this: Kemp LF, Pederson CF, Puig RF... But that is simply unrealistic for this season at least, although I think we will see Pederson play in LA this year.
    I'm fairly certain we will see Ethier shipped to Boston at some point so he and Pedroia can bro-out. Perhaps they could get Webster back for half of Ethier's contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I'm fairly certain we will see Ethier shipped to Boston at some point so he and Pedroia can bro-out. Perhaps they could get Webster back for half of Ethier's contract?
    I use to think the same thing, but the way things are going Kemp will be gone before the end of June.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    I use to think the same thing, but the way things are going Kemp will be gone before the end of June.
    Bull ****, not with Crawford rolling his left ankle, out field log jam solved.

vCash
    I posted that before Crawford rolled his ankle, but I still think Kemp will be the one to get traded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homerfan102 View Post
    I posted that before Crawford rolled his ankle, but I still think Kemp will be the one to get traded.
    Sucks Crawford got hurt. Like said during the game by that radio guy who came from NY, the outfield will sort itself out with time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast