Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Ideas

vCash

Trade Ideas

Thought I would make a thread for any ideas you think would help this team.

I'd like to see us go after Willingham. Shouldn't be too expensive and would benefit from moving to Fenway. Could revert to his mashing 2012 campaign.

vCash
    Lets be honest, we should be looking at selling in a month, not buying. This team has imploded so bad that it would be a waste of resources to acquire any talent unless it impacts future seasons. Lackey and Koji should get us significant talent in return. If they can't extend Lester trade him too. It would be unacceptable if he walks and we only get a pick in return.

vCash
    No, not another old player here. We've got enough. Trade Lester+Uehara, get the pieces to build around Bogaerts and Betts.

vCash
    -Either lock up Lester or look into dealing him off for some good young players.
    -See what is out there for Clay, if anything.
    -Chat with the Marlins and see the asking price for Cishek and/or Stanton, swing deal now or in the offseason.
    -Trade Lackey, Koji, Peavy, Miller for more youth.
    -Splurge in Free Agency and maybe look into more trades if Stanton/Steve deal doesn't completely kill us.

My wishes basically, probably will speak more on what I want the future of this team to look like in mid July.

vCash
    At this point Clay isn't worth much/anything. He's got to get righted and have a 12-14 run of good starts - then he'd be worth something. Plus getting him off the team would help in other ways IMO. He may be ours until his deal runs out.

If we're going to deal Lackey, Koji, Peavy, Miller - the bulk of the return should be kids - COF, 1B centered (mostly RHH too) - unless they go for broke for Stanton (via 3 way/4 way type deals since Miami has no use for any of those guys).

Offer Lester a 5/$117.5M deal w/ a 6th year team option ($27.5M)/buyout ($2.5M) - or deal him for 1.5x+ what a comp pick would be if he refuses, because he's going to get more than that in the market.

AJP could be dealt if we eat a few bucks to a team that loses it's main catcher.

WMB will likely be rehabilitated thru the end of ST next year, and he'll be dealt, or made a sub at 3B/1B/DH/PH, try him at 3B again or kept on the farm for call-up. I don't think Marrero will be ready in 4/15 - so WMB could have the last shot at 3B.

SV is now obviously too injury prone to be dealt w/o eating a pile of dough

Sox should trot JBJ out to CF - but they need a RHH CF (even a meh one) just to take some pressure off. I think he's one of those guys right now that can fix this thing or that thing, but can't globally put it together - yet. So take away LHP from his plate. Also shame on the Sox for not teaching him how to bunt. Even Mantle used to lay down bunts when he was in a slump. He's not controlling his PA's at all, he looks like a guy clinging to a spar in shark infested waters after his boat went down when he's up there. His anxiety/over thinking has to be mitigated (best by success, next best by a new mental approach).
    Last edited by bagwell368; 05-25-2014 at 06:00 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Sell Sell Sell. Everything we can.

I'd offer Lester 5 yrs $125. if he says no trade him

Trade Lackey, Peavy and Koji for top specs

Trade Gomes, AP, Nava, Holt for what ever

Offseason go hard after MS and try to trade for GS

vCash
    Please get off the GS wagon. He will not come here. It will cost us our top prospects and BC will NOT do that. MM don't want anything less than XB prospect

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Lets be honest, we should be looking at selling in a month, not buying. This team has imploded so bad that it would be a waste of resources to acquire any talent unless it impacts future seasons. Lackey and Koji should get us significant talent in return. If they can't extend Lester trade him too. It would be unacceptable if he walks and we only get a pick in return.
    I agree with the sentiment that this year is pretty much beyond salvage. A 9 (or more) game losing streak this early in the season puts you in that kind of a hole. I don't really trust TOR to hold onto 1B but other clubs at least can look forward to players returning from injury and making an impact. The Sox are deep under water with no excuses.

I'm not keen on dealing Lackey until the Sox have Lester under contract. Even then I'd like to hold onto him for 2015 to help ease the youngsters into the rotation. Peavy, Buchholz, and Doubront are all expendable IMO (I realize that the return is not as strong). AJP could have value later if/when a contender has an injury at C. Gomes probably finishes the season somewhere else, continuing his run as a character guy in the clubhouse of some playoff-bound team.

vCash
    I'm a little greedy, so if we can land both Stanton and one of Scherzer / Shields (more realistic) in the next 10 months I'm an extremely happy camper. An Andre Ethier deal wouldn't be out of the question either as this team is in desperate need of not only 1 corner outfielder going forward, but 2. A meh prospect or 2 should complete that deal if we eat the majority of the contract.

2015 ?

1. R Bogaerts SS
    2. R Pedroia 2B
    3. L Ortiz DH
    4. R Stanton LF (8 years, $192 mil extension)
    5. L Ethier RF
    6. R Napoli 1B
    7. S Swihart C
    8. R Cecchini 3B
    9. L Bradley Jr. CF

Victorino to the bench as the rotating 4th outfielder in CF/RF.

Lester (6 years, $125 mil)
    Shields (5 years $112.5 mil w/a 6th year $22.5 mil club option)
    Lackey
    Owens
    Workman/Webster/Barnes

Out in trades:

Buchholz (prospects)
    Uehara (prospects)
    Peavy (prospects)

Doubront (Stanton deal)
    Middlebrooks (Stanton deal)
    Nava (Stanton deal)
    Vazquez (Stanton deal)

Mix and match the Stanton deal, Betts & De La Rosa are also available to bring in his monster bat. There is money to be spent with a slew of position players coming up to fill out the lineup.
    Last edited by Bo Sox Fan; 05-25-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - #7 in the World

Montreal's Sweetheart Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    I think we should hover in-between rebuilding and keeping our pieces. Say we want to rebuild but then go trade for Stanton, what's the point? Would he even want to come to another rebuilding team? Here's what I'd do:

1. Trade Peavy, Koji, Lackey
    Lackey has been very solid and should be worth something given his low option for next year. This team has no place for a pitcher his age if its not contending. Ditto on Peavy. Koji is one of the best relievers, he should have value. Again, he's older so we don't have as much use for him. I don't know if I'd trade all three at once, just that I'd listen on all three.

2. Trade for Stanton
    Our offense is showing its holes. We also have one of the worst OF's in the majors. If a deal can be swung that doesn't involve XB, make it happen

3. Re-sign Lester (5/$110-120)
    If he doesn't accept that deal, let him walk.

4. Sign Scherzer
    I feel as if we need another dominant pitcher. My only problem is that Scherzer is 29 (?) already and would require a large deal. Although I'm advocating for signing him I'd DEFINITELY tread carefully. I guess I'm just in a panic mode now since we're stinking it up.

vCash
    I'm drunk rn so maybe in wrong but I think may is too early to commit to selling.

This team is playing guys who they don't have to in hopes of improvement. We can make small moves that greatly effect our record. The AL East isn't out of our reach. I think we should get younger, but if we aren't "sellers", we need to keep playing guys like JBJ and get better in time. I believe that may well happen. With youth like XB and JBJ and projects like Sizemore, were the type of team that gets better in time. Buchholz can only improve and isn't getting traded with his current value being low. This team is going to improve for sure. It is too early to give up, even though were in trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I'm drunk rn so maybe in wrong but I think may is too early to commit to selling.

This team is playing guys who they don't have to in hopes of improvement. We can make small moves that greatly effect our record. The AL East isn't out of our reach. I think we should get younger, but if we aren't "sellers", we need to keep playing guys like JBJ and get better in time. I believe that may well happen. With youth like XB and JBJ and projects like Sizemore, were the type of team that gets better in time. Buchholz can only improve and isn't getting traded with his current value being low. This team is going to improve for sure. It is too early to give up, even though were in trouble.
    There's no game changing moves that can be made in May. This team is in the midst of their worst stretch in 20 years. How many teams in the history of baseball have made the playoffs with a double digit losing streak? Our only chance this season is if everyone clicks and the team goes on a rampage, playing .700+ ball.

If the team doesn't play great over the next month it would be a bad decision not to sell. Lackey has to go, he's a major trade chip. I'm not worried about losing out on his age 36 season. Trading Lackey, Koji, and others also gives us more ammunition to trade for Stanton or other top level players. The only thing with Stanton is I don't think the Marlins are going to trade him until after '15, I believe that's when he has one year left in arb. I think they are planning on '15 being their year to win.

This team is going to go through a big roster transition in the coming years regardless. Since we are not competitive trade everyone with a short term contract whose value is high enough.

vCash
    Will Drew be eligible to be moved at the deadline? If so we should just try to sell a bunch of our better pieces, Napoli, Drew, Uehara, Lackey, Peavy, Gomes, etc. Then we try to make a move Stanton in the off season, which I think will be very doable. Re-sign Lester, and sign a key starter. Give guys like Owens, Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo, Workman, etc, some extra starts this year and see if one of them sticks already for the roatation next year. Then hopefully if Ortiz is still effective next year, have a great shot at another title with a core of the lineup at XB, Victorino, Papi, Stanton

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Do you guys think JBJ might get traded? Can you explain to me why he's struggled so much? This is a guy who conquered every level seamlessly and maintained great bbk. His Ks have spiked enormously in the Majors, though. Why is that? Obviously it's a scouting thing; the book is out on him. But specifically what pitches give him the most trouble? I still see him as a huge breakout candidate and should be a 350+ wOBA perennially.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Will Drew be eligible to be moved at the deadline? If so we should just try to sell a bunch of our better pieces, Napoli, Drew, Uehara, Lackey, Peavy, Gomes, etc. Then we try to make a move Stanton in the off season, which I think will be very doable. Re-sign Lester, and sign a key starter. Give guys like Owens, Webster, Barnes, Ranaudo, Workman, etc, some extra starts this year and see if one of them sticks already for the roatation next year. Then hopefully if Ortiz is still effective next year, have a great shot at another title with a core of the lineup at XB, Victorino, Papi, Stanton
    i agree with the plan outside of 2 things..

* trading some of the older guys is a solid plan, but i'd be a little hesitant in trading napoli..wouldn't leave much power in the lineup for next season outside of ortiz who will be 39. Unless of course another transition yr is in your plans...Which is possible with the amount of youth coming up.

* Owens is still a little ways away from bringing up to the major league level, His control is just wayy to inconsistant. He still needs starts in pawtucket.

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast