Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Miami Dolphins Offseason

Dolphins second-round WR Jarvis Landry worked at all three receiver positions during rookie minicamp.
    Per the Miami Herald, "no one should write off" Landry playing meaningful snaps this season. Landry has the ability to play both outside and in the slot and could push Brandon Gibson for the No. 3 receiver job. He'll need to contribute on special teams initially, but should see time in three- and four-wide sets.

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker believes rookie OT Ja'Wuan James has the "inside track" on the starting right tackle position.
    James was always likely to be an immediate starter after Miami selected him with the No. 19 pick. The Dolphins have a glaring hole at right tackle, and James was one of the most experienced tackles in the draft. He will have to beat out Jason Fox, but it would be a shock if James is not starting at right tackle Week 1.

vCash
    No real news here. I think most of us are very excited about Landry.

If JuWuan James doesn't start day 1 Hickey gets canned immediately. Lol kidding but not kidding. Unless it's Turner at RT and James has to kick inside. Obviously unlikely

vCash
    These articles that qualify everything like "should compete" but "will need to play STs" about high draft picks really piss my off. In today's NFL, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks sure as hell better be starting or something went wrong.

Especially in our case.

JaWuan was picked specifically to fill the RT hole and b/c he has RT experience, and despite not being the BPA on most boards. He absolutely must start day 1 to justify the pick.....and be a damn solid starter.

Landry should be able to beat out Gibson/Matthews or if not we should've helped other need areas. Landry's best attribute is his polished game. It's not like he's a developmental raw prospect like Martavis Bryant. Landry should also be starting day 1 at least as our WR3.

And Billy Turner too.......we moved up for him......needed a starting guard......took him over Marcus Martin and Gabe Jackson.......he must be our week 1 starting guard.

I don't know why it's so hard for writers to say that about rooks.

Rookies failing to contribute like last year is unacceptable.
    Last edited by Sparky; 05-25-2014 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    The best player should play. Sean Smith beat out Vontae Davis, Kendell Langford beat out Phillip Merling, Hartline beat out Patrick Turner and so on. I don't care when someone was drafted I just want an O-line that doesn't suck.

mfw the Miami Dolphins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    These articles that qualify everything like "should compete" but "will need to play STs" about high draft picks really piss my off. In today's NFL, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks sure as hell better be starting or something went wrong.

Especially in our case.

JaWuan was picked specifically to fill the RT hole and b/c he has RT experience, and despite not being the BPA on most boards. He absolutely must start day 1 to justify the pick.....and be a damn solid starter.

Landry should be able to beat out Gibson/Matthews or if not we should've helped other need areas. Landry's best attribute is his polished game. It's not like he's a developmental raw prospect like Martavis Bryant. Landry should also be starting day 1 at least as our WR3.

And Billy Turner too.......we moved up for him......needed a starting guard......took him over Marcus Martin and Gabe Jackson.......he must be our week 1 starting guard.

Disagree with this. GM's often draft players by potential because of their combine performance and physical dimensions. Some players drafted will be learning a new position in the NFL as well. There can be a minor set back or injury that doesn't give the player field time and he falls behind the depth chart. Player may struggle with the play book and learning a new offense.

We would all like for a top 120 player to start from day one, but that is a rare case to have all 3 players selected in top 120 start.

vCash
    I agree with you two ^^^ in theory.

But not in our particular case......with our particular first 3 picks.....from this particular draft.

Sure......if you're drafting a QB for the future or a developmental / high upside WR.......I even mentioned Martavis Bryan as a contrast to Landry.........then you may expect to have to wait a while for those rooks to develop and produce.

But in Hickey's case......IN THIS DRAFT......he specifically targeted PLAYERS WHO COULD START AS ROOKIES. He basically ignored RT and LG in FA (I don't even count the brittle Jason Fox).......and he took the o-linemen he had to have.........even reached according to most boards........for guys who are supposedly the exact guys he wanted..........he couldn't trade down in round 1 for fear of missing out on JaWuan. Hickey had to give up a 4th to move up in round 3 for Billy Turner.

No way........make no mistake about it........if JaWuan and Billy aren't week 1 starters, then Hickey F'd up.

P.S. Using Ireland draft picks as an example of drafting......really Kody? That's why he's not a GM anymore. Of course the best guys should play. But THE BEST GUYS SHOULD BE THE ONES YOU DRAFTED EARLY.

Like I said, I agree that SOME guys are drafted with a longer timetable for development. But in today's NFL, your early round picks.........for the most part.........should be contributing big time!
    Last edited by Sparky; 05-26-2014 at 10:58 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    The best player should play. Sean Smith beat out Vontae Davis, Kendell Langford beat out Phillip Merling, Hartline beat out Patrick Turner and so on. I don't care when someone was drafted I just want an O-line that doesn't suck.
    Patrick turner, ugh...

Is he still even in the NFL? To me he's he face of irelands and Parcells drafts, big, slow wr, and a 2nd rnd bust, who when we drafted, no one even knew who the heck he was.

vCash
    Dolphins sign O-lineman Michael Philipp following rookie tryout

Philipp, who is listed as 6-foot-4, 328 pounds, played both right and left tackle at Oregon State. But he manned the tackle and guard spot for the Dolphins during rookie camp this past weekend.

During his Pro Day Philipp ran an unimpressive 5.34 40-time, and lifted 225 pounds just 19 times. However, draft analyst claim he’s light on his feet and project guard will be his best position in the NFL.

Dolphins waive three players

On the last day of rookie minicamp, the Dolphins waived defensive back Deion Belue and offensive linemen David Hurd and Michael Ola, the club said Sunday.

Belue and Hurd are undrafted free agents who signed with the club on May 12. Belue (5-11, 182) played at Alabama, while Hurd (6-6, 308) is an Arkansas product. Ola (6-3, 278) most recently played for the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

By waiving Belue, Hurd and Ola, the Dolphins have opened up three roster spots. The club currently has 87 players, according to the Dolphins’ online roster.
    Last edited by gambo1988; 05-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.

vCash

Especially in our case.

I don't agree at all. It would be NICE if he's our starter, but just because he's seen as a perfect fit (and hence the move up), it doesn't mean that he's ready day one to be a starter in the NFL. He could be one of the best in the game for the next decade, but it's not to say that he doesn't need a season of strength training and learning to be ready to thrive at the next level.

JaWuan will end up starting at RT either way I believe and Fox will be there to fill in in-case of JaWuan struggles (or injury)...though Fox is still likely the better player at RT day one (he has years of NFL experience and is actually a solid player when healthy).

Quote Originally Posted by gambo1988 View Post
    Dolphins sign O-lineman Michael Philipp following rookie tryout

Philipp, who is listed as 6-foot-4, 328 pounds, played both right and left tackle at Oregon State. But he manned the tackle and guard spot for the Dolphins during rookie camp this past weekend.

During his Pro Day Philipp ran an unimpressive 5.34 40-time, and lifted 225 pounds just 19 times. However, draft analyst claim he’s light on his feet and project guard will be his best position in the NFL.

Dolphins waive three players

On the last day of rookie minicamp, the Dolphins waived defensive back Deion Belue and offensive linemen David Hurd and Michael Ola, the club said Sunday.

Belue and Hurd are undrafted free agents who signed with the club on May 12. Belue (5-11, 182) played at Alabama, while Hurd (6-6, 308) is an Arkansas product. Ola (6-3, 278) most recently played for the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

By waiving Belue, Hurd and Ola, the Dolphins have opened up three roster spots. The club currently has 87 players, according to the Dolphins’ online roster.
    I couldn't stand Belue at Bama and even said to my girlfriend that "I would love for us to land ANY Bama player this year...as long as it isn't Belue". And what happens? Well, at least we cut him. He might end up being an OKAY player somewhere else, but just not in Miami.
    Feeling much better after that Raider beat down.

vCash
    Vontae Davis was better than Sean Smith from day 1 imo.

I could care less where someone was drafted but unlike most others I will be pissed if Finnegan does not get the #2 CB nod. I know many are rooting for Taylor to win it. I am not one of them and not even close. I would rather Taylor retire than start him over Finnegan. Also will be pissed if Landry doesnt jump Gibson. I know Philbin doesnt like to play rookies but Landry is so much better than Gibson.

I believe the OL is set in stone except for one OG spot. Pouncey, Albert, James, and Turner I consider day 1 starters with nobody challenging either of them to not be
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    Just so everyone knows, Randy Starks manhandled Billy Turner today. Players need to earn their spots. I don't care where a player was drafted I just want the best guy to play. Yes I'll be pissed if our first 3 players don't start but it happens all the time. Would people really have liked to see Dion Jordan forced into the starting DE spot even though he wasn't nearly strong enough to handle it? Our 3rd round pick Oliver Vernon finished the season with 11.5 sacks so who cares if Jordan didn't start right away.

mfw the Miami Dolphins

vCash
    Dallas Thomas should give turner a run for that left guard spot. He was a 3rd rnd pick just like Turner, but played in the SEC, and has a year of NFL experience under his belt.

I know it's crazy to think he has a shot at that spot, becaue he didn't show much, but between, Jordan, Taylor, Thomas, and Davis it's pretty clear that was a straight developmental Draft.

This is going to be am interesting season since we didn't get to see last years rookie class much. A lot of young talent on this team that will have tom prove themselves early in training camp, a lot of competition too, I like it a lot.

vCash
    I care that Jordan didnt start right away as he should have started over Vernon. Vernon should be his backup. our HC is a joke though.

of course Starks is getting the best of Turner its early but Turner by the end of camp will hold his own against him and Thomas will not challenge him
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    Dallas Thomas should give turner a run for that left guard spot. He was a 3rd rnd pick just like Turner, but played in the SEC, and has a year of NFL experience under his belt.

I know it's crazy to think he has a shot at that spot, becaue he didn't show much, but between, Jordan, Taylor, Thomas, and Davis it's pretty clear that was a straight developmental Draft.

This is going to be am interesting season since we didn't get to see last years rookie class much. A lot of young talent on this team that will have tom prove themselves early in training camp, a lot of competition too, I like it a lot.
    I won't excuse an awful draft as "developmental" (early round rookies must contribute in today's NFL) but the bright side is that it's almost like we have two draft classes this year added to the team.

vCash
    I won't excuse an awful draft as "developmental" (early round rookies must contribute in today's NFL) but the bright side is that it's almost like we have two draft classes this year added to the team.
    Well, maybe I shouldn't call it a developmental draft, but our first two picks were injured so they did a lot of sitting and learning whether it was planned or not.

As for davis and thomas those were guys drafted knowing damn well they needed development. I don't think its a coincedence we drafted a developmental cornerback and a guard in same rnds a year later. Clearly someone thinks you can find good projects at those positions in those rounds.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast