Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500

    Surprise! Colts voted as team with worst offseason

    INDIANAPOLIS -- Did you think the offseason grades were rough for the Indianapolis Colts in 2013?

    The offseason grades this year have been just as rough.

    The Colts received the lowest draft grade in the league from Mel Kiper Jr. -- a D-plus -- and a group of ESPN NFL analysts gave Indianapolis a league-worst D-plus Insider when it comes to offseason grades.

    "The situation with the owner is a disaster, Reggie Wayne is coming off injury, they gave up a first-rounder for a running back with lots of mileage and their defense is not physical -- but they have [quarterback Andrew] Luck," a general manager told ESPN.com. "The question there is going to be whether they get frustrated winning nine to 10 games per year just because of the quarterback."

    The offseason moves general Ryan Grigson made could end up paying off. That won't be determined until the season starts. But it's been a rough offseason for the Colts with the arrest of owner Jim Irsay and four-game suspension of linebacker Robert Mathis.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...ade?src=mobile

    I obviously think the Colts deserve the criticism they get. Underwhelming offseason for sure.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    1500
    You guys that get all riled up and hellbent over crap like this and what some idiot who never even played football like Kiper says absolutely amaze me! We added what we needed with pretty solid players! Injuries can always derail plans but with what we have coming back from injured reserve from last season and what we have added, we will be FINE!! You can't go out and get top tier free agents for each position. This kind of crap shouldn't even be published until AFTER the season cause they have ZERO clue how the acquired and drafted players will perform!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,545
    vCash
    1500
    CubbieColts is exactly right. An article written three months before training camp starts is absurd. Kiper has no idea how this year's free agents and draft class will play out or how successful each will be. There are tons of players that over and under achieve each year. Jack Mewhort could be the next Joe Thomas or the next Tony Mandarich. Donte Moncrief could very easily put up similar numbers Hilton did his rookie year or turn out to be another DHB. Talking about end of the year results in May is stupid and foolish. Besides, Kiper has a long documented history of being wrong. He was the one who said Ryan Leaf would be a safer pick and had a better chance at being a better pro than Peyton Manning. Taking anything Kiper says as absolute fact is a fool.

    A few of you act like spoiled brats. The Colts have averaged 10 wins a season since 2000. Since Manning was drafted, the Colts have only had three losing seasons. The constant whining and complaining in this forum is the reason the board has completely died.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    469
    vCash
    1500
    Card nailed it. I hate this forum anymore. I don't post because of all the negative. I look once a week when I am bored out of my mind in a meeting or something. I can't believe the negativity after seeing zero snaps played by the rookies and even free agents. Silly thinking we can predict how guys will play and more importantly play together. Just shut up and be patient. This team just might be great.... who knows? Certainly not any of us since it is only May.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    CubbieColts is exactly right. An article written three months before training camp starts is absurd. Kiper has no idea how this year's free agents and draft class will play out or how successful each will be. There are tons of players that over and under achieve each year. Jack Mewhort could be the next Joe Thomas or the next Tony Mandarich. Donte Moncrief could very easily put up similar numbers Hilton did his rookie year or turn out to be another DHB. Talking about end of the year results in May is stupid and foolish. Besides, Kiper has a long documented history of being wrong. He was the one who said Ryan Leaf would be a safer pick and had a better chance at being a better pro than Peyton Manning. Taking anything Kiper says as absolute fact is a fool.

    A few of you act like spoiled brats. The Colts have averaged 10 wins a season since 2000. Since Manning was drafted, the Colts have only had three losing seasons. The constant whining and complaining in this forum is the reason the board has completely died.
    The board has never been active despite what you think. Besides, this gives us something to talk about during these boring offseason weeks. If everyone was all happy and agreed with what everyone says then there's nothing to talk about.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSabo17 View Post
    Card nailed it. I hate this forum anymore. I don't post because of all the negative. I look once a week when I am bored out of my mind in a meeting or something. I can't believe the negativity after seeing zero snaps played by the rookies and even free agents. Silly thinking we can predict how guys will play and more importantly play together. Just shut up and be patient. This team just might be great.... who knows? Certainly not any of us since it is only May.
    That's a problem. It's an interesting dilemma. If I don't post any threads, the forum will obviously be dead. If I post negative threads, everyone hates me and doesn't like the forum. If I post positive threads people will just say "yeah, I agree" and move on.

    So what the hell am I supposed to do?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,545
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    The board has never been active despite what you think. Besides, this gives us something to talk about during these boring offseason weeks. If everyone was all happy and agreed with what everyone says then there's nothing to talk about.
    Something to talk about? The constant sarcastic posts of support for the Colts and fire Grigson chants are supposed to encourage people to post? The exactly why no one does. And this board has been active but that all died the last two years when the lynch mobs started gathering.

    I have no problem with differing opinions, but the constant complaining no matter what Irsay, Grigson, Pep, or Pagano do or say is annoying. Anymore, if you aren't supporting the cause then you're wrong. The loyal posters have abandoned the board and rarely post, myself included.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cardinals1226 View Post
    Something to talk about? The constant sarcastic posts of support for the Colts and fire Grigson chants are supposed to encourage people to post? The exactly why no one does. And this board has been active but that all died the last two years when the lynch mobs started gathering.

    I have no problem with differing opinions, but the constant complaining no matter what Irsay, Grigson, Pep, or Pagano do or say is annoying. Anymore, if you aren't supporting the cause then you're wrong. The loyal posters have abandoned the board and rarely post, myself included.
    I feel that the constant complaining is warranted. This organization is not flawless. I praise when management/coaching deserves praise and criticize when they deserve criticism. There's a ton of dead air time and I don't know what to do to fill that dead air besides voicing my opinions and posting articles from the internet. Sorry you decided to not post, hopefully you come back when there's actual football games.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    469
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    That's a problem. It's an interesting dilemma. If I don't post any threads, the forum will obviously be dead. If I post negative threads, everyone hates me and doesn't like the forum. If I post positive threads people will just say "yeah, I agree" and move on.

    So what the hell am I supposed to do?
    The "shut up" was intended for the negativity not posting in general.. obviously. They are things to post on. There was a article just yesterday about Luck giving some kid a helicopter ride to the speedway. Not saying you have to post every little snip it but damn it is really negative. I would warrant the negativity if we had the track record of a Jax or Oakland organization but we have had what 2 loosing seasons since 99". This GM has done somethings wrong but he didn't draft David Carr or Tim Couch. He did draft guys that we hadn't heard about in T.Y and Ballard and we just act like that was luck because he did sign Satele

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,598
    vCash
    1500
    I honestly love articles like this. All negative and no positive which the players I'm sure also see. Yes you have Irsay and Mathis...and quite a few people question the draft. I don't see the huge issue with it but I understand why some do. Now lets poke some holes in this short article:

    -I would think Reggie Wayne coming back from an injury would be a positive...he was missing a lot of last season and now is going to be back. Same for Allen...so why are they negative? These guys are coming back, not missing more time with a setback.

    -The Knock they had for TRich was mileage...really that is what they went with? Are they trying to make him sound like a 29 year old MJD or something? In his career in college and the NFL he has 995 carries...other than that he has HS numbers that really don't factor in as "mileage". For reference Doug Martin (in the same draft class) who is 2 1/2-3 years older has 1063 carries and a banged up shoulder. If they wanted to say that he didn't work out last year or something I would understand...but mileage...really? For a RB to have under 1k carries in the past 5 years is actually pretty low mileage. AP has 1100+ in the past 4 for example.

    -Now we get to the "off season moves may pan out" part of he article. So Arthur Jones, Jackson, Nicks....not to mention Adam V, VD, and Pat Mac (who were also technically free agent signings)....I see all of them being huge next season, and not just wishes and prayers. The only ones with any questions are Jackson and Nicks.


    Now just to throw my 2 cents in on the negativity. My problem isn't the valid questions and negative...it is the cheap shots and sarcastic comments that are put along with some posts (like the one with the guys signed from the regional combines that I went on a rant about). It is also the complete disregard for any player Grigson brings in. The huge complaints about how he hasn't addressed the OG and center positions....then the complaining about who he brings in to fill. Costa situation sucked...and when he retired I agree 100% that it was a bad move, but when he was signed to back up Holmes for a cheap price it wasn't a bad sign. Also with the draft, everyone wants an interior lineman...he drafts one...yet he still gets everyone complaining about not drafting a safety. So basically I think the negativity problem is more the fact that Grigson in this forum is going to get bashed by some people even if he does exactly what they want him to do and fill the holes they are wanting him to fill. He is getting 0 benefit of the doubt, and just because we don't know the names he is drafting doesn't mean they are terrible to add. Instead of at least waiting until a couple pre season games are in the books to write off Holmes...he is already seen by some people as the guy who is going to end Andrew Luck's career because he can't stay in front of a tackling dummy.

    I have stated many times I agree with quite a bit of the questions, but instead of writing off the guys that Grigson has brought in before seeing them and how they play...I'm holding judgement until I see them do something on the field that I can judge them on.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 05-26-2014 at 11:35 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSabo17 View Post
    The "shut up" was intended for the negativity not posting in general.. obviously. They are things to post on. There was a article just yesterday about Luck giving some kid a helicopter ride to the speedway. Not saying you have to post every little snip it but damn it is really negative. I would warrant the negativity if we had the track record of a Jax or Oakland organization but we have had what 2 loosing seasons since 99". This GM has done somethings wrong but he didn't draft David Carr or Tim Couch. He did draft guys that we hadn't heard about in T.Y and Ballard and we just act like that was luck because he did sign Satele
    I encourage everyone here to post threads, so if a story interests you go ahead and post it.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I honestly love articles like this. All negative and no positive which the players I'm sure also see. Yes you have Irsay and Mathis...and quite a few people question the draft. I don't see the huge issue with it but I understand why some do. Now lets poke some holes in this short article:

    -I would think Reggie Wayne coming back from an injury would be a positive...he was missing a lot of last season and now is going to be back. Same for Allen...so why are they negative? These guys are coming back, not missing more time with a setback.

    -The Knock they had for TRich was mileage...really that is what they went with? Are they trying to make him sound like a 29 year old MJD or something? In his career in college and the NFL he has 995 carries...other than that he has HS numbers that really don't factor in as "mileage". For reference Doug Martin (in the same draft class) who is 2 1/2-3 years older has 1063 carries and a banged up shoulder. If they wanted to say that he didn't work out last year or something I would understand...but mileage...really? For a RB to have under 1k carries in the past 5 years is actually pretty low mileage. AP has 1100+ in the past 4 for example.

    -Now we get to the "off season moves may pan out" part of he article. So Arthur Jones, Jackson, Nicks....not to mention Adam V, VD, and Pat Mac (who were also technically free agent signings)....I see all of them being huge next season, and not just wishes and prayers. The only ones with any questions are Jackson and Nicks.


    Now just to throw my 2 cents in on the negativity. My problem isn't the valid questions and negative...it is the cheap shots and sarcastic comments that are put along with some posts (like the one with the guys signed from the regional combines that I went on a rant about). It is also the complete disregard for any player Grigson brings in. The huge complaints about how he hasn't addressed the OG and center positions....then the complaining about who he brings in to fill. Costa situation sucked...and when he retired I agree 100% that it was a bad move, but when he was signed to back up Holmes for a cheap price it wasn't a bad sign. Also with the draft, everyone wants an interior lineman...he drafts one...yet he still gets everyone complaining about not drafting a safety. So basically I think the negativity problem is more the fact that Grigson in this forum is going to get bashed by some people even if he does exactly what they want him to do and fill the holes they are wanting him to fill. He is getting 0 benefit of the doubt, and just because we don't know the names he is drafting doesn't mean they are terrible to add. Instead of at least waiting until a couple pre season games are in the books to write off Holmes...he is already seen by some people as the guy who is going to end Andrew Luck's career because he can't stay in front of a tackling dummy.

    I have stated many times I agree with quite a bit of the questions, but instead of writing off the guys that Grigson has brought in before seeing them and how they play...I'm holding judgement until I see them do something on the field that I can judge them on.
    Actually I wanted him to draft a safety with that pick... However, I think going OL there would have made sense if all of the good safeties were gone.

    I just think Grigson is extremely hypocritical.... says he doesn't believe in starting rookie offensive linemen yet he drafts one with the intention of starting them.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,598
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Actually I wanted him to draft a safety with that pick... However, I think going OL there would have made sense if all of the good safeties were gone.

    I just think Grigson is extremely hypocritical.... says he doesn't believe in starting rookie offensive linemen yet he drafts one with the intention of starting them.
    That may be, but I think you are being hypocritical with your criticism as well. You complain all off season about the interior line and get bent out of shape because he didn't improve it and wanted him to grab up guys that don't fit our system like whats his name from NO who was a known terrible run blocker. Agree or not the staff wants to run the ball. That was also after you complained about Costa pre retirement which was brought in to shore up the backup C position...now you complain about drafting an interior line player. Even if he wasn't drafted to start day one, Mewhort will provide depth at G and T with emergency center being another option. We do have a guard coming off a season ending injury and a battle for the spot opposite him. Now when you put that with the fact that Grigson keeps getting bashed for his lack of OL depth last year after Thomas went down and it resulted in poor interior line play for quite a bit of the year, and I ask you the same thing I have asked every other time I went off on a tangent like this....what do you realistically want? What could he do to make you happy? Can you say with a straight face that if Grigson had used that pick for a safety you would have forgotten about your complaints about the interior line? I'm still holding to the fact that in your eyes no matter what Grigson does he will have screwed something else up.

    I wanted a safety this off season too and that is one of the big questions I have been open about asking...but as far as the pick: Mewhort was projected by most to be picked in the first part of the 2nd. He was rated as a top 5 at the high and top 10 at the low tackle in the draft....and if you want to rate him as a guard he would have been a solid top 5 if not top 3 guard in the draft. From the scouting services I can access for free, I see him rated virtually identical to the guard that was taken by Houston at the top of the 2nd round that everyone seemed to love....and that was based on a tackle scale I assume since he was projected to be a RT. So I guess that could be good or bad...but remember LT is the pass blocker and RT is the run blocker.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    73,862
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    That may be, but I think you are being hypocritical with your criticism as well. You complain all off season about the interior line and get bent out of shape because he didn't improve it and wanted him to grab up guys that don't fit our system like whats his name from NO who was a known terrible run blocker. Agree or not the staff wants to run the ball. That was also after you complained about Costa pre retirement which was brought in to shore up the backup C position...now you complain about drafting an interior line player. Even if he wasn't drafted to start day one, Mewhort will provide depth at G and T with emergency center being another option. We do have a guard coming off a season ending injury and a battle for the spot opposite him. Now when you put that with the fact that Grigson keeps getting bashed for his lack of OL depth last year after Thomas went down and it resulted in poor interior line play for quite a bit of the year, and I ask you the same thing I have asked every other time I went off on a tangent like this....what do you realistically want? What could he do to make you happy? Can you say with a straight face that if Grigson had used that pick for a safety you would have forgotten about your complaints about the interior line? I'm still holding to the fact that in your eyes no matter what Grigson does he will have screwed something else up.

    I wanted a safety this off season too and that is one of the big questions I have been open about asking...but as far as the pick: Mewhort was projected by most to be picked in the first part of the 2nd. He was rated as a top 5 at the high and top 10 at the low tackle in the draft....and if you want to rate him as a guard he would have been a solid top 5 if not top 3 guard in the draft. From the scouting services I can access for free, I see him rated virtually identical to the guard that was taken by Houston at the top of the 2nd round that everyone seemed to love....and that was based on a tackle scale I assume since he was projected to be a RT. So I guess that could be good or bad...but remember LT is the pass blocker and RT is the run blocker.
    I've been a pretty firm believer that you don't draft rookie offensive linemen especially when you can't evaluate them, has Grigson drafted any OL that has actually made a significant impact? I rather have seen Grigson address the line via free agency and draft a develop a safety. Honestly, this was almost a perfect off season for me but instead Im left with more questions than answers.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    I've been a pretty firm believer that you don't draft rookie offensive linemen especially when you can't evaluate them, has Grigson drafted any OL that has actually made a significant impact? I rather have seen Grigson address the line via free agency and draft a develop a safety. Honestly, this was almost a perfect off season for me but instead Im left with more questions than answers.
    There will always be more questions than answers, that is the nature of the NFL. You can even think your team has one of the most solid rosters in the league, only to watch them go 8-8... or one big injury (Manning rings a bell) and your season is over before it begins.

    We are better than most of the other teams. We are not infallible, we will have problem areas, all teams do. We really just need to wait and see what happens.

    As far as the forum being slow, the season is a ways off. the NFL forum, which is usually buzzing is also slow right now. It'll pick up, but for now i think just headlines and feel good stories until the training camp and preseason begin would suffice.

    Also everyone that has a story should contribute, i agree with this. Others on here should feel free to post. At the very least we should have a semi active 'unrelated to football' thread.


    "In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •