Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

50 U.S. Senators send letter for Redskins Name Change

Letters signed by 50 U.S. senators urging the league to change the Washington Redskins name were sent on Thursday to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The senators draw a parallel between the NBA's no-tolerance policy regarding the racist comments made by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and asks the NFL to act similarly.

[+] EnlargeDan Snyder
    AP Photo/Manuel Balce CenetaRedskins owner Daniel Snyder has been steadfast in his stance that he will not change his team's nickname.

"Today, we urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports," the senators write. "It's time for the NFL to endorse a name change for the Washington, D.C. football team.

"The despicable comments made by Mr. Sterling have opened up a national conversation about race relations. We believe this conversation is an opportunity for the NFL to take action to remove the racial slur from the name of one of its marquee franchises."

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has opposed the name change, and his team has launched its own public relations campaign issuing comments by Native Americans that continue to support the name.

The NFL has stood behind Snyder and issued its own response Thursday to the news of the senators' letter.

"We have not received the letter, but the NFL has long demonstrated a commitment to progressive leadership on issues of diversity and inclusion, both on and off the field," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement. "The intent of the team's name has always been to present a strong, positive and respectful image. The team name is not used by the team or the NFL in any other context, though we respect those that view it differently."

The Oneida Indian Nation, a tribe located in upstate New York that has been pushing for the name change through a national "Change the Mascot" campaign, applauded the senators' formal action while continuing to stay on its message.

"Washington team owner Dan Snyder and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell have claimed that using the R-word epithet somehow honors native peoples, but it is quite the opposite," Oneida Nation CEO Ray Halbritter said in a statement. "The R-word is a dictionary defined racial slur."

Halbritter said that the Redskins name is not a term of honor but "a malicious insult."

Jackie Pata, the executive director of the National Congress of American Indians, also weighed in Thursday.

"The NFL is a global brand," Pata said in a statement released through Oneida. "But it wants to contribute to the positive image of the United States across the world rather than callously promoting discrimination against Native Americans, then it must stop promoting this slur and finally change the name."

One letter to the NFL was signed by 49 senators (only Democrats) and was not signed by Tim Kaine or Mark Warner, the two Democratic senators from Virginia.

Senator Bill Nelson (D-Florida) sent a separate letter to Goodell calling for the Redskins to change their name.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...n-redskins-nfl

Yeah i got a letter.

Dear US Senators,

Focus on fixing America instead of worrying about a team name!

This thing was dead until the Donald Sterling situation came in. Then they found the perfect excuse to bring it back up.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Not another "change the Skins name" thread.....

Just cut out the red and make them the Washington Skins, everybody wins.
    Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners Los Angeles Clippers Anaheim Ducks

Tweet me @Spencerrw3
    Go Hawks

vCash
    I didn't know this was still a thing. Interesting. Snyder is in a tough situation. He grew up as a fan of the franchise and now he's being pressured to change it. That's rough.

vCash
    Just make it the Warriors and keep everything else about it. Compromise.
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS TO NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS KENNEL

On 7/20/14 we took our Calla and Pebble for a stay while on vacation. On 7/21 Calla, who is diabetic, was given 10x her insulin dosage. She wasn't found until 12 hours after being overdosed. After a week and a half of suffering we made the tough decision to put her down because of brain damage and a lack of a quality of life. She was only 7 and her breed lives until their 20's. Over half of our beloved Calla's life was stolen from us.

vCash
    Just do it and get it over with. It's not ever going to go away.

Ask RGIII what he wants it to be called and be done.

vCash
    Just switch the name to the Skins'

Its barely any different anyway.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    I say carpe diem, keep the name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...n-redskins-nfl

Yeah i got a letter.

Dear US Senators,

Focus on fixing America instead of worrying about a team name!

This thing was dead until the Donald Sterling situation came in. Then they found the perfect excuse to bring it back up.
    Agreed. Sterling and Redskins are 2 completely different circumstances. Senators need to concentrate on doing their job.
    2014 PSD Mock NFL Draft Baltimore Ravens
    Round 1: S HaHa Clinton-Dix
    Round 2: WR Allen Robinson
    Round 3: OT Jack Mewhort
    Round 3: RB Bishop Sankey
    Round 4: CB Victor Hampton
    Round 4: ILB Preston Brown
    Round 5: ILB Avery Williamson
    Round 6: WR Ryan Grant

vCash
    This debate is how I learned that Redskins was a derogatory term for native Americans. If not for the movement to change the name, I never would have had any idea. There may have been racist meaning behind the word at one point but today, in this context there is none. By changing their name over situations that happened years ago I think we're unnecessarily dividing the people of today over race. I think the push to change the name is only making racial tensions worse in our country, not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    This debate is how I learned that Redskins was a derogatory term for native Americans. If not for the movement to change the name, I never would have had any idea. There may have been racist meaning behind the word at one point but today, in this context there is none. By changing their name over situations that happened years ago I think we're unnecessarily dividing the people of today over race. I think the push to change the name is only making racial tensions worse in our country, not better.
    You weren't aware that Redskin is a derogatory term. Really, ****ing seriously? You never put the logo and the name together. Did you flunk out of pre-school? The rest of your post has me thinking you did.

to the OP: What else should congress do between accepting checks from special interests. They get paid well to do nothing, that's what the contributors pay them for. I guess suggesting that the sports team in our nation's capital lose the racial slur that is there name beats sitting around with their thumb up their ***. They may be a little less embarrassed of themselves than they already should be. If we actually want them to do something all we really have to do is make lobbying an act of treason and add term limits to the Congress.

vCash
    I wish the thread title could be corrected.
    50 DEMOCRAT U.S. Senators send letter for Redskins Name Change
    Well, we know what their priority is.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    This is an issue that needs to be dealt with, but good god does it need to be even mentioned much less handled in Congress? Get some real work done. This is why republicans are annoyed by Dems, and dem voters have had enough of the party. Pandering and playing stupid games like this instead of delivering on their empty promises.....wait what forum am I in?

At this point I can't imagine why their ownership hasn't just changed the name. Who really cares. Change the name and the issue goes away immediately.

vCash
    go **** yourself. god damn communists

vCash
    Congress saw athletes and the media profiting off the PC shaming and race-baiting lately and they just wanted to get in on it.

vCash
    I like the name. And I know that many Native Americans do too.

I could understand if it was a competitive alcoholic drinking team, and it was called the Redskins, well then sure that would be messed up because it would be perpetuating a negative stereotype of drunken indians.

But the name is used for a professional sports organization. The name associates physical strength, dedication, and teamwork with the Native Americans. which is a good thing.

They do have red skin anyways, you know.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast