Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Lance fined for flopping

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...rned-it-video/

If they want to give Lance a 5k fine....then OK. I'm not saying he didn't warrant one.

My problem are that Lebron's only flop fine was when the League was forced to fine him so they could fine West and Lance....and I couldn't find any evidence that Wade has ever been fined.

Now if we want to go just that same game we have this for Lebron warranting the same discipline:
    http://notsportscenter.com/vine-lebr...best-he-flops/

I'm not sure when all these happened, but I would say that at the very least we are looking at enough to get a few suspensions under the flopping rules each season.
    http://notsportscenter.com/top-10-fu...a-heat-player/

Now here is 5k for Wade from March:
    http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/dwyane...-james-harden/

Not sure if this is the same game or if they played close games together, but also from March:
    http://fansided.com/2014/03/17/dwyan...-video/#!PliUg

Just google top 10 lebron flops and make a day out of it.

vCash
    If Lebron got fined for all his flopping hed be broke. Plus then theyd be admitting that the refs favor their cry baby superstar.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts2180 View Post
    If Lebron got fined for all his flopping hed be broke. Plus then theyd be admitting that the refs favor their cry baby superstar.
    Actually I think it would be the opposite for the refs and the league...fining Lebron would give them a cop out. They could claim that something like that he has gotten so good at flopping that they can't tell in real time and this is why they are called in his favor.

If they want to get rid of flopping...fine the hell out of the ones flopping. Lance included. If they don't want to fine the big names, who everybody obviously knows are doing it, then just get rid of the rule. Either enforce it or don't and I don't care either way, but I'm just sick of seeing LeBron's top 10 flops of the year videos coming out and yet he isn't fined for any of them....It took West flopping along with him to force the NBA to fine him at all last year. I think every flop he makes the opposing team should also flop forcing the leagues hand. West may or may not have intended for it to be a double flop, but if you think about it, this is the only way that players can force the leagues hand in this issue. If they complain about the refs or the league the fine will be much larger than the warning then 5k.

Another thing that really sticks out to me just in game 2, is that I see is that Lebron benefited once by a call on the West shoulder bump (which would have been just contact without the acting) and then again with the stoppage of play to check for a flagrant when he made it look like West had just stabbed him, then pushed him, and then spit on him after shooting him...then laid under someone's chair like he was dead. Lance however was punished with a foul called on him and did not benefit on the play in any way. If the purpose of the flopping rules is to stop players from manufacturing calls (which is what they stated in a nutshell) then shouldn't they be looking much closer at ones that actually worked? I personally would want to weed out the good floppers before worrying about the ones that aren't good enough to get the call.

Don't get me wrong Lance deserved his fine, but Lebron deserved at least 1 with the 2nd on the flagrant review questionable because I admit that West actually fouled him....he just exaggerated the contact to make sure it was called and to probably wasn't upset that it resulted flagrant review, which technically is against the flopping rules, but since he was fouled and it was just the reaction that didn't match the contact you are looking at a gray area. However exaggerating a call and getting said flagrant review stops the game when it is not needed which is another hot button topic that every major sport is looking at.

vCash
    I'm not going to give my usual 1000 word essay...just 3 things to say on this topic.

1) The NBA needs to make ref evaluations public.

2) If Wade isn't fined for a flop at a critical moment (which was one of if not the main reason for creating the rule) they need to just take it out of the books.

3) The fine amounts and frequency have always shown that they were meant to keep stars from getting into foul trouble and not to stop flopping. Even if fined Wade still possibly changed the outcome of a game at a crucial moment, it would still have only have cost him 5k of his 18+ million salary (or .02% of his salary). They should go with a percentage of total salary fine if they want to make an impact of the issue....which they don't.

vCash
    Yesterday came and went without a peep from the NBA front office regarding the Wade flop. Lance was fined the day after so that almost certainly means no fine. I will say that chances are that the Pacers would have still lost, but even acknowledging that Wade or Lebron has flopped in this series would have been a huge step in the right direction for the NBA. How is every local radio show and news paper not up in arms about this? This is an easy to correct rule in place. You don't even have to blame the ref or admit wrongdoing....you just send the fine out for flopping to Wade and don't speak of it again. If they are completely against fining Wade for an obvious violation....what other rules are they allowing him to get by with? We all know the answer because we see the games, but sometimes "experts" are slow to call everything out for fear of being in the wrong....here is your smoking gun. Obvious violation, textbook play they were trying to prevent, and no punishment for the violation.

I'm fine with all the local radio talk being about Lance shutting his mouth and to stop the refs blew the game talk...however this issue to me is a prime example of what is wrong with the NBA. I'm not stating this for the reason we lost the game...I'm saying this is a rule that should be reviewed after the game. It's more of an apology from the league than a fix of what happened. Without the fine they are saying that Wade was in fact fouled and the ref made the correct call, when there is video evidence otherwise.

When pointing this (among other things) out PG gets his own 25k fine, which I can't disagree with because it is a virtual automatic 25k fine for criticizing officials, which should be exactly what a 5k fine (then upwards from there) should be for flopping under the rules. I also think this should be Frank Vogel's job to make statements like this in the first place rather than tell ESPN that the teams confidence is shaken...so great job for being an idiot and not backing your locker room Frank....but I would love to hear the NBA's stance on the Wade flop and why it wasn't fined.

Basically this further proves what everyone has known for years. The NBA cares more about image than actual substance and play. They don't want one of their big 3 to be looked at as a flopper and/or cheater (because some think they are the same thing)...and hence protect them from these fines, but they don't want them to get flopped against and trick the refs into calling a foul on them so players like Lance are made out to be the ones that are "cheating". The only reason Lebron received his only fine, is because David West had to be fined and put in his place...and Lebron flopped on the same play and had to be punished as well. Basically by the fines from the NBAs are saying that only one flop has occurred in this series. Even if they want to go with the obvious ones and not over fine for maybe an actual reaction...however I found 3 just in game 1.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 05-28-2014 at 01:04 PM.