vCash

2014 MLB Draft Thread

Draft is June 5-7.

Jays hold picks 9 & 11

Let's get a 'Sticky' on this...

Go Draft Go!!!

vCash

vCash
    I normally like the toolsy center-of-the-diamond types, but I think that with the rash of injuries to starting pitchers lately, drafting arms in abundance might be the ticket to organizational depth. If we are going to try to extend our theoretical "three year window" it might not be out of the question to see a couple of college guys selected early in the draft - in hopes that they might end up kicking down the door for the majors in a season or two.

I'd love to see us grab Nola and Hoffman from the College pitching ranks, as Nola should come quick, and Hoffman looks filthy (but will be coming off TJ surgery).

As far as college hitters go, I think Casey Gillaspie and Kyle Schwarber look like big-time bats, and Kyle Turner might represent an option at SS once Reyes loses a step.

There's a lot to like from the high school ranks too though!

vCash
    damn .. didn't think the draft was that close

This is a big one for the Jays.. need to hit big on at least one of these top 10 picks

vCash
    There are a lot of intriguing talents out there.

Touki Toussaint is a HS arm that just has insane upside...but control has been his biggest obstacle. Mid-90's heat with a curveball that's been compared to a video game kind of break...just a huge break on it. Sounds tantalizing....

Then there's Hoffman, who was a possible Top 3 before TJ. So now, how much of a gamble is taking a guy off of TJ now...really? It's pretty rare for a guy to not bounce back completely...and often throwing even harder? A guy with his talent....do you take the chance? You could certainly make an argument both ways.

Real interesting stuff.

vCash
    Im always one of those pushing for hitters but this year I'm fully on board of two pitchers with both picks. Beede and Hoffman would be a freaken haul of we can get both to sign.

Also setting a window should never affect how you draft, that how you become stuck in limbo and a dead end once uour window closes. Stick to your drafting strategy and go BPA no matter what.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    I completely agree with you Eagles.. but I feel like Alex may seek instant gratification of a near-ready prospect to dangle to the wavering fan base/organization if his job ends up being on the line this season.

In any draft, you want to take the best available talent (or what you perceive will be the best talent long-term), but it doesn't always work out that way.

vCash
    If Hoffman is still there at 11 and no other big names dropped I'd take a chance for sure. Like Kylain said is having TJ really that big of a ? mark now.

vCash
    Nola would be another pick I'd like to see the Jays make, he might not have the ace kind of stuff but he's a pretty safe bet to be a good middle of the Rotation type, and could be one of the first pitchers in the draft to make his MLB debut.

vCash
    If available at 9 and 11, I would like Freeland and Hoffman.

vCash
    Jays dont have the ability to pick "toolsy" this year -- get one solid college pitcher who could be ready within two years when Buehrle and Dickey are on their way out and one potential high school arm. Would go both pitchers just for the fact that this team needs arms and they help in trades down the road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    If Hoffman is still there at 11 and no other big names dropped I'd take a chance for sure. Like Kylain said is having TJ really that big of a ? mark now.
    Not as much but a guy came on a few days ago and said that most players who get TJ that young will have a very high chance (forgot the % but was high) they will need it a 2nd or even 3rd time during their career.

Obviously its hard to say who will need TJ and who won't, but I don't know if the Jays this year have the patience to have another TJ guy they gotta work with. Gotta get a college pitcher who could come in right away and start pitching in A ball this year and get up to Double A and potentially Triple A next year and then have them ready in 2016 if Dickey and Buehrle are gone...

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    It's going to be fun either way.

I just hope AA doesn't do another "We never heard of them but, the scouts like them" pick with both picks. This is the part about AA I don't like...he tries to be too smart and it doesn't work out. He needs to get results and good players that make it to the show. That's it.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Jays dont have the ability to pick "toolsy" this year -- get one solid college pitcher who could be ready within two years when Buehrle and Dickey are on their way out and one potential high school arm. Would go both pitchers just for the fact that this team needs arms and they help in trades down the road.
    I don't see AA making a knee-jerk draft selection when his team would be in the playoffs if the season ended today and there is plenty of minor league pitching that by all accounts is very good.

vCash
    I haven't been paying much attention as of yet, but I would like Toussaint and Hoffman I think. Toussaint sounds like if he can harness his control he can be something special

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast