Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rumored Players/Want/Needs/Rid of Thread 2014 Edition

*Edited to include players we may lose/want to lose.

Well sports fans, looks like we may have ourselves a busy off-season again.

Rumored Players:

Rondo- We have a poor man's Rondo in Beverly(though his offensive court vision is nowhere near his), so I don't see the point. Bad fit.

Love- Would give us a big time stretch 4, a rebounding machine, but is scoring our problem? Twin towers would be sweet though

Melo- Again would give us that stretch 4, but at what cost and can he coexist with Harden and Howard?

Deng- Only fits if Parsons is traded

Luis Scola- Wouldn't suck to have the guy back, still doesn't help out our need for D at the 4, but could be great off the bench.

Wanted/Needed Players:

Courtney Lee- Cause he looks good in red.

Current bubble players:

Francisco Garcia- He regressed so much so fast. Could barely crack the rotation. Please go away.

Omri Casspri- Started out as a steal then went cold as ice. Follow Garcia out of town.

Donantas Montejunas- Has stated he wants more playing time whether here or elsewhere. Could be decent trade bait. I wouldn't mind him being back next year.

Troy Daniels- Great shot, could find his niche off the bench.

Omer Asik- Become trade worthy again with his playoff performance. Like Monty, I'd like to see him stay, but he may be our best asset.

Jeremy Lin- GTFO

Terrence Jones- Showed flashes of being a very good starter, could use some extra weight. Also seems to be in every trade scenerio we are involved in.

Chandler Parsons- His name is floating around in all Rockets rumors. Could develop into our 3rd star or could stay right where he is talent wise. I worry that he plays himself into an over-priced contract. I'd love to see him starting here next year, but selling high wouldn't be dumb either.
    Last edited by sep11ie; 05-28-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Cause I do what I want

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    As a Rockets' fan I learned to get as excited about the offseason as I do in the regular season.

I agree on Rondo, and I don't really see the point in Deng, unless he accepts a lot less money and a bench role (not gonna happen).

Love would be dreamy. It would definitely cost Parsons, probably Beverley, Asik (basically we would be left with no bench, picks or defensive players) and two or three picks though. That's a high price tag. But an offense featuring Howard, Love and Harden seems amazing. Same goes for 'Melo. And we could get him for probably less, maybe Lin, Asik and a pick, but he would be signing a 4-year close to 100 million deal at the age of 29.

Lee looks good in any color.

I would go after Melo if it only costs Asik, Lin and a first in a S&T. And Love if the price is right. But I would also love to see some small good deals for good defensive vets. A vet PF, and a vet SF, like a Garcia-type of player, only way better.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Gut our team for Love! Make everybody available except for Harden and Howard (try to keep Beverly but he's on the table too). Then fill in the holes with vets and cheap 2nd round prospects. Hate to see Parsons go but he's our most variable asset.

vCash
    So nobody thinks Parsons will develop into the 3rd star of a big 3?

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    I like Parsons and I think he brings a lot to the table, but I don't ever see him becoming a star. I think we are seeing his peak right now.
    Last edited by stros1fan; 05-27-2014 at 03:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    I think and hope he develops into a really good player for years to come, but I doubt he ever makes an All Star team or All NBA team. I think he is a perfect fit for this team especially if we add one of these free agents this summer, but if he needs to be dealt in order to acquire one of these guys, then so be it.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but before trading for anyone or signing anyone shouldn't we at least wait and see what LeBron James does? Unless he signs a long term deal this summer, which is unlikely since he could opt out this season or opt in just for 1 year and be a free agent after next season as well. Is this a pipe dream? Absolutely, but we all know Morey will explore that option if the scenario becomes available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    I like Parsons and I think he brings a lot to the table, but I don't ever seem him becoming a star. I think we are seeing his peak right now.
    Those are two different things. I also don't see him being a "star", although the definition is very subjective. But I don't believe we're seeing his peak right now. He's only 25 with only 3 years in the league. He did improve this season, like attacking the rim and passing. If he keeps improving his all-around game, and especially defense, I think he could be a better 3rd man than many championship teams had.

vCash
    I have to believe Morey and Cisco have a mutual agreement that he will receive a 2 year deal contingent on him opting out. Every little bit of money helps at this point and we will need to be aggressive in moving Asik and/or Lin this summer.

vCash
    Mark Berman: While guard/forward Francisco Garcia has yet to make his decision,Garcia says he could still exercise his player option & stay w/the Rockets Twitter @MarkBermanFox26

Barring an unforeseen change in direction, Houston Rockets small forward Francisco Garcia intends to opt out of the final year of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, league sources conveyed to CSNNW.com. CSNNW.com

One source with knowledge of the situation explained that the justification in doing so would be for the veteran to secure a multi-year deal. He is not against re-signing with Houston, we're told. CSNNW.com

Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Hopefully he doesn't play a single meaningful minute again for us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
    Hopefully he doesn't play a single meaningful minute again for us
    Yes, I am guessing Morey and the Rockets front office is hoping he opts out of his contract. That money can be better used elsewhere.

vCash
    I'll break this down by different transactions similar to how Sep has done it:

Current players/free agents
    Parsons, Beverley and Daniels all have team options less than $1 million. Parsons and Beverley are obviously locks to make the team again barring a trade and based on Daniels' play in the Finals, something tells me he'll be back again as well. Jordan Hamilton and Omri Casspi are both UFA, so I don't expect they'll be back. As for any other current roster guys, it will just depend on if Morey feels he can deal them to get enough value in return. I wouldn't be surprised if any players aside from Dwight, Harden, Parsons and Beverley get dealt.

Possible superstar acquisitions
    I'd love to see Kevin Love or Carmelo Anthony in a Rockets uniform, but both guys have their pros and cons in acquiring them. For starters, Melo should be much easier to acquire than Love. Since he could opt out and become an UFA, the Knicks really have very little leverage in where he signs. The Rockets could probably get him for Asik, Lin, Jones and a future 1st rounder. However his contract will cost an arm and a leg. Basically he'd get what Dwight just got. Add Melo and the Rockets will struggle a bit financially over the next 4-5 years in adding role players, and they'll probably be well over the luxury tax threshold for years.

Now, Love's contract (assuming the Rockets could re-sign him after next year), wouldn't be that bad since he's still relatively young. It should be somewhere around $15-18 million a year over 5 years. However, because he's still got a year left on his contract and Minnesota still has quite a bit of leverage, the Rockets will have to give up a LOT more to get him. We're talking Lin, Jones, Asik, Parsons an multiple future first rounders, if not more. It might be less than that, but mark my words on this: there is little to no way in hell the Rockets get Kevin Love this offseason without dealing Chandler Parsons. To me, that's the ultimate question. Is adding Love worth sacrificing Parsons. Also, will Minnesota gamble getting Parsons knowing the guy will be an UFA the following offseason? I kinda doubt it.

In terms of how the two guys are as players, I'd give Love an obvious nod. He's a rebounding monster who can score literally anywhere on the floor and can space out opposing defenses to the 3-point line. Melo can pretty much do the same thing, though, and I trust him a little more as a crunch scorer and he's become a far more efficient scorer the last 2 years since he's developed a 3-point shot. Both guys are below average defensive players, but that's the price you pay for offensive dominance. At least Melo offers versatility in that he can defend the 3 or the 4 and he rebounds well for either position. Love is younger, has the friendlier contract and is probably the better player, but Melo has experience thriving in an uptempo offense among other great players from Team USA and something just tells me he'd be a great fit here. I'd be thrilled with either guy.

I DO NOT want Rajon Rondo in a Rockets uniform. He's one of the least efficient offensive players in the league by a wide margin and any positive he brings to the team from a distribution standpoint is totally negated by his horrid inefficiency. He also has no range on his jumper, which makes him an atrocious fit next to Harden, and he's no long as strong defensively as Beverley is. I'd much rather have Beverley starting than Rondo, and he costs a hell of a lot less. Other guys could be UFA this year, including Lebron, Bosh, Dirk, Wade, Duncan and Lowry, but the only guy who could seems even a remote possibility is Bosh, and I'm not sure I want him after watching him underachieve this postseason.

Possible free agents
    The Rockets seriously need to improve their rotation. They need wings who can hit 3s and defend and upgrade at the backup PG position and a C who can take over when Asik inevitably gets traded or leaves. I'm still hoping Lin and Motiejunas can step up and play better next season, but I'm not exactly banking on it at this point. Here are just a few free agent options that would make sense on paper for this team:

PG
    Avery Bradley (RFA)
    Shaun Livingston
    Greivis Vasquez (RFA)
    Mario Chalmers
    Ramon Sessions
    Patty Mills
    Kirk Hinrich
    Jerryd Bayless
    Darren Collison (PO)
    Devin Harris

SG
    Evan Turner
    Vince Carter
    Ray Allen
    Thabo Sefolosha

SF
    Paul Pierce
    Trevor Ariza
    Shawn Marion
    Andrei Kirilenko (PO)
    Danny Granger
    Caron Butler
    Marvin Williams
    PJ Tucker

PF
    Josh McRoberts
    Andray Blatche (PO)
    Kris Humphries
    Boris Diaw
    Ed Davis (RFA)
    Patrick Patterson (RFA)
    Dejuan Blair

C
    Spencer Hawes
    Chris Anderson (PO)
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Jason Smith

A lot of these guys will retire or be retained by their current teams, but I think a good take away from this is that the market for PGs is pretty great right now if you're a team in need of one and the market for big men sucks tremendously. I'd love to come away from FA with a veteran PG like Livingston, a big man with versatility like Hawes and role playing defensive wing like Sefolosha, Marion or Tucker. But we'll have to see what the market for these guys is, if Morey pulls off any substantial trades and what the Rockets cap space will look like.

vCash
    We could also decline to pick Parsons' option now (June 31st), let him become a RFA and sign him to a long-term deal this summer, thus eleminating the risk of losing him as we can match any offer. That would probably put us over or really close to the luxury tax threshold, but we would still be able to deal Asik, Lin and others for Love, although there's no way we get Love without including CP. But, if we do go over the tax line, we also won't be able to sign and trade for 'Melo, if Parsons gets re-signed before that.

vCash
    I'm sorry but we need a point guard bad PB is a back up point guard we need a point guard that can run a offense thats why at the ends of game we suck I just don't understand the dis like for rondo he might can't shoot that well but he does everything else well with to star already on this team rondo will be way better then he was last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by teecoop29 View Post
    I'm sorry but we need a point guard bad PB is a back up point guard we need a point guard that can run a offense thats why at the ends of game we suck I just don't understand the dis like for rondo he might can't shoot that well but he does everything else well with to star already on this team rondo will be way better then he was last year
    Because he's a horribly inefficient player who fits terribly with the players on this roster. He and Harden are a horrible back court fit together, Rondo has no range whatsoever on his jumper and Rondo isn't a Steve Nash or a Jason Kidd, who were so talented offensively that they consistently turned their teams into top 5 squads offensively. Look at the teams Rondo has played on and you'll see that those squads were almost always bottom 10 in team offense. Hence, Rondo is an overrated player that the Rockets don't need.

The reason the Rockets' offense is stagnant late in games has nothing to do with their lack of a point guard and everything to do with McHale's inability to run plays and their failure to execute the same offense they play the other 44-45 minutes of every game.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast