vCash

Pirates Game Thread: 5/20 - 6/1

Pirates Game Thread

VS

The Line Up

The Rotation

Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I've decided to drop the SOS facade as I think we might just have to accept there is no saving this season. I don't say that to imply the team is going to be bad the rest of the year as I actually expect them to play fairly well but this poor start is starting to extend to a point in the season where its going to take something quite special to help overcome it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    I've decided to drop the SOS facade as I think we might just have to accept there is no saving this season. I don't say that to imply the team is going to be bad the rest of the year as I actually expect them to play fairly well but this poor start is starting to extend to a point in the season where its going to take something quite special to help overcome it.
    im not ready to toss in the towel just yet martin will be back soon and polonco wont be far behing. this time last year the dodgers were dead last in thier div and over came it in 79 the pirates where dead last in the middle of may and exploded this home stand is vital to them turning thier season around less the mets the o's nats and dodgers are teams they need ro beat to get thier confidance back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplayer543 View Post
    im not ready to toss in the towel just yet martin will be back soon and polonco wont be far behing. this time last year the dodgers were dead last in thier div and over came it in 79 the pirates where dead last in the middle of may and exploded this home stand is vital to them turning thier season around less the mets the o's nats and dodgers are teams they need ro beat to get thier confidance back
    I'm not throwing in the towel per se. It just was a realization that in order for this team to make the playoffs something special is likely going to have to happen. From this point on if they play .600 ball the rest of the way they will finish with 89-90 wins. That may be enough for the playoffs or it may not be but regardless that is a big hill to climb. Anything is possible of course but this team really needs to do something like win 8 of their next 10.

vCash
    I wanted to mention this it sounds like Martin will be coming off the DL tomorrow which is obviously good. Ordinarily I would assume that means Sanchez goes back down but Martin must first serve his one game suspension so I'm curious to see how they choose to handle it.

vCash
    Just saw something interesting. People have been saying about how much worse the bullpen is pitching this year. The advanced numbers back up our eyes but the numbers which show actual results do not. So far this year the bullpen has an ERA of 2.85 last year the bullpen ERA was 2.89.

I don't think a lot of people would guess that.

vCash
    No word on Russell Martin. There were rumblings he'd be activated tonight and serve his suspension.

Harrison, 9
    Walker, 4
    McCutchen, 8
    Alvarez, 5
    Marte, 7
    Davis, 3
    Mercer, 6
    Stewart, 2
    Liriano, 1

vCash
    I was kinda hoping the Pirates would of looked at Stephen Drew but he was picked up by Boston again.

vCash
    This s game is not going well now is it

vCash
    Thought we had something going on there in the 7th but silly me, thinking we might capitalize with 2 on, no outs

vCash

Pirates Game Thread: 5/20 - 6/1

Ok time to muster up all my positivity. Wandy on the mound tomorrow so hopefully we lose by less than the 7 we did today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Just saw something interesting. People have been saying about how much worse the bullpen is pitching this year. The advanced numbers back up our eyes but the numbers which show actual results do not. So far this year the bullpen has an ERA of 2.85 last year the bullpen ERA was 2.89.

I don't think a lot of people would guess that.
    I wouldn't have guessed that myself but the thing that really matters, is the fact that I think they've given up the lead 10 times? I'm not saying we would have won all of those games, things happen, but even if you win 7 or 8, that's a huuuge swing in the standings. With the way the team has been playing lately, I don't know if even that kind of swing would matter at the end of the season but would have certainly kept people entertained for longer (if that matters).

I realize hindsight is 20/20 and I can't even remember which one I wanted, but how does Taillon over Machado look now? That play last night was a beauty and considering Taillon is out for the year, it stings even more. Imagine an infield of Alvarez - Machado - Walker - Sanchez/Davis... that'd be pretty darn good

vCash
    Machado would be nice but I'm also ok with Taillon. It is definitely a hindsight discussion and I still think Taillon will be fine.

vCash
    It is also worth noting that in this discussion our pitching rotation to start next season projects to be Cole, Morton and then ?. Having Taillon available midseason will be a good thing.

vCash
    Still no Martin ... he seems to be getting close as he once again caught Grilli's simulated game (he too appears close).

Harrison 9
    Walker 4
    Cutch 8
    Alvarez 5
    Marte 7
    Davis 3
    Mercer 6
    T Sanchez 2
    Rodriguez 1

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast