Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

WMB to the DL with fractured finger

@alexspeier 1h
    Farrell says Middlebrooks fracture is non displaced. 5-7 days in splint then re-evaluated. Timetable TBD.

Time to start seriously considering Drew. 3b is a black hole again this year.

vCash
    I know that this is more of a freak thing but how long before we consider WMB injury prone? He's not played more than 48 games in MLB without going on the DL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I know that this is more of a freak thing but how long before we consider WMB injury prone? He's not played more than 48 games in MLB without going on the DL.
    Some of us were talking Drew and a RHH CF pre-season, that would be better than where we are now. I realize that JBJ isn't that much worse against LHP this year, but having a smaller role overall might be making it easier on him.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Really to bad to hear. Time for us, though, to get a better option in at 3rd base.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 46-52, games this week vs. Blue Jays (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    That hand injuries don't really prove that though.

vCash
    The thing is, since nobody is going to sign Drew until the draft, signing him doesn't lose us a pick that we won't get anyway.

The real issue is the DB agent (trying to soak us for missed wages by increasing the contract size), and Drew's own state of mind. Don't want him if he's got a chip on his shoulder vs Red Sox. If we get him I want the option to deal him at the time that suits us - since the deal will be at least two years if not three.

Obviously that moves XB to 3B, where the fielding pressure/expectations will be a bit lower (as are the number of plays he'd be involved in). That's a win.

The other move is GC - but his D is not ready for prime time. GC and XB on the left side is asking for trouble - and shattered confidence.

As for CF? We have nobody that can play it except JBJ and SV (and he'll play it much worse than he plays RF). Sizemore is a LF only. Nava (if he's here) is no CF, although he does OK in RF most of the time. Getting a RHH now is going to cost an arm or two depending on how good. If they think JBJ is just a 4th OF in the future it might be time to pull the Kemp option out of the hat.

If we're still struggling with this 3 game under .500 stuff at the deadline, might be time to deal some guys off and reboot for next year.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Rather than question if he injury prone, the real question should be if he can ever be just an adequate major league player. He's going to be 26 in September and hes shown nothing since his fluke hot start, that was really a babip fueled couple months before he regressed that season. So how long are we going to keep playing him, waiting for him to just become a decent contributor? We have to be at the bottom of 3b production the last 3 seasons.

Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo 18m
    Per source Red Sox are exploring multiple options (trades/other) regarding left side of infield

Perhaps his time is coming to an end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Rather than question if he injury prone, the real question should be if he can ever be just an adequate major league player. He's going to be 26 in September and hes shown nothing since his fluke hot start, that was really a babip fueled couple months before he regressed that season. So how long are we going to keep playing him, waiting for him to just become a decent contributor? We have to be at the bottom of 3b production the last 3 seasons.

Per source Red Sox are exploring multiple options (trades/other) regarding left side of infield

Maybe, but not until he's off the DL... we can also call it the curse of the Dell...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    That hand injuries don't really prove that though.
    The hand injury proves nothing (hence the way I started the question) but it does remind me of how often the kid has been on the DL.

I agree about his potential at 3B. If there is good news in the injury it's that he usually returns to the roster hot for a week to ten days. Unfortunately that tends to buoy those who think he's going to be a power hitting 3B... someday. At this point I REALLY wish we'd dealt him to MIA in the offseason and signed Drew.

Maybe, but they signed Ryan Roberts the last time he hit the DL so I wouldn't get too jacked up about the rumors. I suspect that it's little more than organizational depth.

vCash
    @alexspeier 1h
    Farrell says Middlebrooks fracture is non displaced. 5-7 days in splint then re-evaluated. Timetable TBD.

Time to start seriously considering Drew. 3b is a black hole again this year.
    This is the one team that wont loose a pick for him too, they can get a head start on negotiations.

vCash
    While Chase Headly is off to a slow start, he has proven to be a pretty good hitter on the road, plus he has an exceptional glove too. I don't think he will cost a whole lot either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    While Chase Headly is off to a slow start, he has proven to be a pretty good hitter on the road, plus he has an exceptional glove too. I don't think he will cost a whole lot either.
    this would be awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    this would be awesome
    Headley is off to a slow start in all of 2013 compared to 2012. He's off to a slow start in in 2014 compared to 2013.

His xBH% is dropping over the last 3 years, his away hitting stats this year are very poor, and his home ones are just OK.

The Sox are in a position of need for the moment - with WMB, XB, and GC lurking as potential long term fits within a calendar year, and in case of signing Drew - XB the day Drew reports. Just cash needed for Drew.

Unless they are OK with two specs outside the top 25, I wouldn't do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Headley is off to a slow start in all of 2013 compared to 2012. He's off to a slow start in in 2014 compared to 2013.

His xBH% is dropping over the last 3 years, his away hitting stats this year are very poor, and his home ones are just OK.

The Sox are in a position of need for the moment - with WMB, XB, and GC lurking as potential long term fits within a calendar year, and in case of signing Drew - XB the day Drew reports. Just cash needed for Drew.

Unless they are OK with two specs outside the top 25, I wouldn't do it.
    I was only suggesting an alternative to drew, I think he best fits the RSox needs, but that they should get on this before June.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I was only suggesting an alternative to drew, I think he best fits the RSox needs, but that they should get on this before June.
    It's an alternative, just trying to place it. Drew is going to get a two year deal probably, and cost some pretty big cash. Headley is just this year and much less money, but specs.

Given the Sox have specs and money - they key is in the length of the deal more than anything. Let's see what they do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast