Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Garza to Samardzija: Pitch your way out of Chicago

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...y-chicago-cubs

More than anything, Garza continues to be a bit of a controversial figure.

And I highly doubt he lost 30 wins pitching for the Cubs.

I told [Samardzija], 'It doesn't matter, dude. You play in Chicago. I was there, and I lost 30 wins in three seasons. It's not your fault. You pitch your way out of there.'

Rebuilding can be frustrating, especially for quality players. But the Cubs are clearly starting to turn it around.

Any veterans who weathered rebuilds and remained with the club, be rewarded with a World Series ring?

vCash

Garza to Samardzija: Pitch your way out of Chicago

I don't see a problem with what Garza said.

vCash
    I'm a Cubs fan and don't have a big problem with it. The team has been horrible for the past few seasons, and Shark should be 5-0 or so right now. He's been pitching wonderfully this year. I always loved Garza's edge. However, his women hating remarks weren't all that great TBH.

And I don't think the Cubs lost Garza 30 games the past 3 seasons. That's bs.

vCash
    The number was obviously fudged to make a point, but he is right.

He's a big enough boy to make his own decisions, so I doubt what Garza said will have an affect on him staying or going. Nothing he doesn't already know

vCash
    Len Kaspar looked at all of Garza's "good luck wins" and "tough luck losses" as a Cub and determined that Garza lost about 4 or 5 net wins as a Cub. Not even close to 30.
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

vCash
    I don't have an issue with what Garza said. I wouldn't want to pitch in Chicago right now. We are probably 4-5 years away from being legit contenders.

vCash
    Garza started 60 games for the Cubs.

He won 21 games. 30 more would make that 51 wins out of a possible 60.

Nitpicking at what number he decided to say is pretty irrelavent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I don't have an issue with what Garza said. I wouldn't want to pitch in Chicago right now. We are probably 4-5 years away from being legit contenders.
    Exactly. Our roster is a mess and if I'm entering my prime I'm not exactly thrilled about the idea of waiting for out top guys to come up.. If they come up... If they pan out.. If I'm Shark, I keep performing my best; then look at spots when free agency comes up. I'd have to imagine it's less then thrilling for anyone not named Rizzo and Castro going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I think the Cubs are 2-3 years away from contention. I fully expect Bryant and Baez to be up this year, and Soler next year, and Almora late next year or the following year. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs go about getting their pitching pieces. Right now they have Edwards, and Tseng who both project as #2-#3's. They might be able to snag a pitcher in the draft (Aiken or Rodon) or take a bigger risk in Kolek.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer94 View Post
    I think the Cubs are 2-3 years away from contention. I fully expect Bryant and Baez to be up this year, and Soler next year, and Almora late next year or the following year. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs go about getting their pitching pieces. Right now they have Edwards, and Tseng who both project as #2-#3's. They might be able to snag a pitcher in the draft (Aiken or Rodon) or take a bigger risk in Kolek.
    I don't think this is a terribly unrealistic number, but unless the Cubs hit on all four of those guys you mentioned, this timeline is likely delayed another couple years. There's very little talent at the ML level for them beyond Rizzo and kinda Castro. Shark will be gone by the time they are ready to contend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoggin88 View Post
    Len Kaspar looked at all of Garza's "good luck wins" and "tough luck losses" as a Cub and determined that Garza lost about 4 or 5 net wins as a Cub. Not even close to 30.
    More so this is what I was referencing.

vCash
    He is just trying to motivate him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIlladelph16 View Post
    I don't think this is a terribly unrealistic number, but unless the Cubs hit on all four of those guys you mentioned, this timeline is likely delayed another couple years. There's very little talent at the ML level for them beyond Rizzo and kinda Castro. Shark will be gone by the time they are ready to contend.

I fully expect one of their "core four" prospects to be dealt- for pitching. Most likely Soler. Would not be surprised to see them wait another off season before making a big splurge FA signing- although guys like Scherzer and Lester don't come around too often.

vCash
    how funny would it be if Samardzija wins the cy young with zero wins. that would be priceless
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals