Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

MLB Draft discussion

Thought I should post this with the draft coming up soon. The name I have seen being placed with the Sox the most is Derek Fisher (http://www.virginiasports.com/sports...er_795474.html). I've seen him play before. He would have been a top 15 pick if it wasn't for injury.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Hope Gatewood falls to us due to a bad spring. Kid has so much offensive upside and would be a good defensive 3B

vCash
    I just saw a mock that had us getting Braxton Davidson. That would be awesome. He's said to have a great hit tool and power tool. His knock is being too passive, which I think we can work with (if we learned from Lars Anderson). I'll take a middle of the order bat even if he has to move from OF to 1B.

vCash
    ^^ Since we don't really have much in the minors at 1B that's not a bad thing at all.

vCash
    Agreed RST. There's a pitcher that's fallen out of the top 5 because of TJS that could fall to our comp pick too. That would be awesome. I think his name is Beede but I'll confirm later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Agreed RST. There's a pitcher that's fallen out of the top 5 because of TJS that could fall to our comp pick too. That would be awesome. I think his name is Beede but I'll confirm later.
    Yes Tyler Beede out of Vandy.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash

vCash
    I think your thinking of jeff Hoffman, and I doubt he falls past Toronto.

vCash
    Beede is free falling. While he hasn't had success this season, that's someone I'd love to sink right into the laps of Boston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Beede is free falling. While he hasn't had success this season, that's someone I'd love to sink right into the laps of Boston.
    Agreed

vCash
    Beede was heavily linked to us in the 2011 draft, Jays took him before we could. Our system really needs an influx of hitters though. I'm unfamiliar with the players available, but I would like a high upside bat.

vCash
    It's certainly an upside heavy draft, so it'll be up to our scouts in terms of finding the high upside bats to draft. But I still elect us to go highest value in spite of position, despite the fact that we need bats. I personally do trust our scouts.

A lot of prospects/players take 1000-1500 PAs to adjust, which isn't really an easy number of PAs to get in Boston. So a guy like JBJ may end up being a 3 or 4 WAR player, but we aren't willing to wait. Keep that in mind. Who's to say JBJ wouldn't break out in July? A break out offensively (especially from a rookie) could turn our season around, which is why I remain speculative on whether we should sell.

We're not playing well, but the great thing about baseball is that a team like us has time, I'm willing to wait a while before I throw in the towel personally.

vCash
    would love to get Gatewood in the 1st and Davidson as the comp pick. The entire organization is void of power.

vCash
    You pick the best player at the right price, but at the same time we have picked pitchers at an extreme rate the last 2 drafts. This has killed us in the lower minors, without the 2011 draft our position prospects would be pathetic. If a pitcher is clearly the best player available you take him. More likely there won't be one player significantly better than everyone else at the end of the round. We should be heavily scouting hitters.

vCash
    A lot of prospects/players take 1000-1500 PAs to adjust, which isn't really an easy number of PAs to get in Boston. So a guy like JBJ may end up being a 3 or 4 WAR player, but we aren't willing to wait.
    3 WAR should be a lead pipe cinch, since he's about a 2.5 on D alone.

Keep that in mind. Who's to say JBJ wouldn't break out in July?
    It's all mental and experience with him - nothing physical is wrong.

A break out offensively (especially from a rookie) could turn our season around, which is why I remain speculative on whether we should sell.
    Sorry, no sale. We're playing .420 ball, we have to play .625 the rest of the year to get to 91 wins. Last year the Sox played .599 ball to get to 97 wins. .625 is 101.25 wins. It will take 5 guys having a massive turnaround to get anywhere near that.

We're not playing well, but the great thing about baseball is that a team like us has time, I'm willing to wait a while before I throw in the towel personally.
    Sell

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast