Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,651
    vCash
    500

    What is it gonna take for Jake Locker to be a Titan in 2015?

    So we all know that the Titans didn't pick up his option for next season thus making this a contract year. So what are the conditions that must be met for him to get resigned at the end of the year?

    Health

    Does he need to show that he can play a full season. Obviously if he only misses a couple games it won't likely be a factor. However if he misses 4 or more games is that a deal breaker?

    Performance

    Does he need to improve upon his statistics from last season? Or was he good enough in limited action last year to warrant a new contract should he stay healthy....

    Record

    Does the team have to win in order for him to get resigned? What if he stays healthy and puts up good if not better numbers but the team struggles defensively or running the ball etc.

    Price

    At what price tag should the Titans bring Locker back in each situation? Should they try to bring him back at a discounted rate if he has an average or subpar season. What is the most they should pay if he exceeds expectations or stays healthy? If he plays really well but gets hurt should they try to keep him and for how much....


    So lets take a look at some possible scenarios and you guys tell me what you would do as the Titans GM.

    Scenario #1

    - He starts 12 games and misses 4 due to an injury (say hand or foot related)
    - He slightly improves upon last seasons numbers (say 62% and 90 QB Rating)
    - He goes 6-6 or even 7-5 in those 12 games

    Is that enough to get him resigned? At what terms?


    Scenario #2

    - He starts 15 games and misses 1 due to injury
    - His numbers stay roughly the same as last year (60% and 86 QB Rating)
    - He goes 8-7 in those 15 games

    Resigned? What terms?


    Scenario #3

    - He starts 10 games and misses 6 due to injury
    - His numbers go up significantly (63% and 95 QB Rating)
    - He goes 7-3 as the starter

    Resigned? What terms? Franchise Tag?


    Scenario #4

    - He starts all 16 games
    - His numbers go up significantly (63% and 95 QB Rating)
    - He goes 10-6 and the Titans get into the playoffs

    Resigned? What terms? Franchise Tag?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448
    vCash
    500
    IMO Locker has got to start atleast 14 games, he must have a winning record and his qb rating, int/td ratio and completion percentage must all improve. Even if all that were to happen, I still believe we offer him a steep discount given his injury history.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1567
    I would think scenario 1 and 4 are most likely to get him resigned. I think 2 and 3 are both possibilities but much more of a probably not. The coaching staff would have to see a lot from him (scenario 3) if he were to get injured again and they would want to bring him back. I am leaning more towards what kingNORTH said that 14+ games might be were they want him. I would assume his contract across the board would be something like 2yr/10mil give or take, even if he preforms overly well I dont see him getting a big offer or to long of an offer from the titans at least.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlurry View Post
    I would think scenario 1 and 4 are most likely to get him resigned. I think 2 and 3 are both possibilities but much more of a probably not. The coaching staff would have to see a lot from him (scenario 3) if he were to get injured again and they would want to bring him back. I am leaning more towards what kingNORTH said that 14+ games might be were they want him. I would assume his contract across the board would be something like 2yr/10mil give or take, even if he preforms overly well I dont see him getting a big offer or to long of an offer from the titans at least.
    I'd be shocked to see Locker land anything bigger than 3 year/15million deal, at best.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,571
    vCash
    1500
    Bare minimum
    14 starts
    around 20 TDs to about 14 INTs
    3,500 yards
    .500 or winning record

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,651
    vCash
    500
    Just to throw some numbers out there for comparison

    Ryan Fitzpatrick 2-year $7.5 million from Texans
    Chase Daniel 3-year $10 million from Chiefs
    Matt Flynn 3-year $20.5 million ($9 million guaranteed) from Seahawks
    Chad Henne 2-year $8 million from Jaguars
    Matt Schaub 2-year $13.5 million from Raiders
    Josh McCown 2-year $10 million from Buccaneers

    So we know what Fitz brings to the table a backup at best and he got nearly $4 million per year.

    Chase Daniel has only played in one regular season game and is getting nearly $3.5 million per year.

    Matt Flynn had started 2 games and played in parts of others and got nearly $7 million per year.

    Chad Henne has started 50 games in 6 seasons more Ints than TDs and gets $4 million per year.

    Matt Schaub is getting nearly $7 million per year but is just one year removed from a Pro Bowl.

    Josh McCown been in the league 11 years started only 37 games and is now getting $5 million per year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,651
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Bare minimum
    14 starts
    around 20 TDs to about 14 INTs
    3,500 yards
    .500 or winning record
    Assuming he played 14 games last year Locker was on pace for

    3,000 yards
    18 touchdowns
    9 interceptions
    7-9 wins

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,651
    vCash
    500
    I think after looking at those contracts that if Locker has even the same numbers as he had through 6 full games last season that he is gonna command at least $7-8 million a year in free agency.

    That would put the Titans in a spot. Because if he has a good season then he has all the leverage and not the Titans. The franchise tag isn't even an option because for 2015 on quarterbacks its gonna be in the $17-18 million range. There is no way the Titans can afford to pay Locker that kind of money even if just for a single season.

    But you look at next offseason and it proposes another question. If Jake Locker isn't the answer or Mettenberger for that matter.... Then who?

    In free agency the only guy that would be an option would be Andy Dalton and he might not be available. I would be in favor of Andy Dalton the guy is 30-18 as a starter, has started every game his first 3 years in the league and has averaged roughly 27 touchdowns and 3800 yards in 3 seasons with the Bengals. However the word is that he is seeking around $15 million a year. I don't know about that....

    In the draft its a pretty weak class for quarterbacks. You have Mariotta and Winston as the top 2 consensus guys and both have red flags already going into this year. Alot of people question Mariotta as a system quarterback who plays in an offense that doesn't ask him to do many things that NFL teams are gonna want out of their quarterback. Then you have Winston who has amazing physical tools but looks to be Vince Young Version 2.

    If the Titans go out and win 7-9 games this year then most likely neither of them will even be options anyways as they are projected top 10 picks. Even though that doesn't mean much a year out.

    Its gonna be interesting to see how this plays out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1567
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Just to throw some numbers out there for comparison

    Ryan Fitzpatrick 2-year $7.5 million from Texans
    Chase Daniel 3-year $10 million from Chiefs
    Matt Flynn 3-year $20.5 million ($9 million guaranteed) from Seahawks
    Chad Henne 2-year $8 million from Jaguars
    Matt Schaub 2-year $13.5 million from Raiders
    Josh McCown 2-year $10 million from Buccaneers

    So we know what Fitz brings to the table a backup at best and he got nearly $4 million per year.

    Chase Daniel has only played in one regular season game and is getting nearly $3.5 million per year.

    Matt Flynn had started 2 games and played in parts of others and got nearly $7 million per year.

    Chad Henne has started 50 games in 6 seasons more Ints than TDs and gets $4 million per year.

    Matt Schaub is getting nearly $7 million per year but is just one year removed from a Pro Bowl.

    Josh McCown been in the league 11 years started only 37 games and is now getting $5 million per year.
    Fitzpatrick has proven he is a capable starting qb
    Chase Daniels is a good #2
    Matt Flynn a good #2
    Chad Henne is ok at this point but starting for a crappy team
    Matt Shaub is a proven, capable starter
    Josh McCown played overly well last year but has been pretty much a career backup

    The difference between these guys and Locker is that these guys have a good track record whether it be as a starter or quality backup, outside of Henne who could be a solid #2 for a better team but has proven he could start for someone if need be. Locker hasnt proved much outside of flashes that he could be a quality starter. Problem is he hasnt been in the league long nor can he stay healthy. I feel a good season this year from Locker wont be enough for MOST teams to give him 7-8 million. I still think a 5 million dollar contract for 1-2 years would be were teams would like to have him considering the injury issues and inconsistent play.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Just to throw some numbers out there for comparison

    Ryan Fitzpatrick 2-year $7.5 million from Texans
    Chase Daniel 3-year $10 million from Chiefs
    Matt Flynn 3-year $20.5 million ($9 million guaranteed) from Seahawks
    Chad Henne 2-year $8 million from Jaguars
    Matt Schaub 2-year $13.5 million from Raiders
    Josh McCown 2-year $10 million from Buccaneers

    So we know what Fitz brings to the table a backup at best and he got nearly $4 million per year.

    Chase Daniel has only played in one regular season game and is getting nearly $3.5 million per year.

    Matt Flynn had started 2 games and played in parts of others and got nearly $7 million per year.

    Chad Henne has started 50 games in 6 seasons more Ints than TDs and gets $4 million per year.

    Matt Schaub is getting nearly $7 million per year but is just one year removed from a Pro Bowl.

    Josh McCown been in the league 11 years started only 37 games and is now getting $5 million per year.
    Somewhere between Henne and McCown is where Locker would land.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,651
    vCash
    500
    I see what you guys are saying but I disagree.

    Jake Locker is young and has shown improvement each of the last 3 seasons. Its his health that is of question. If he can start the majority of this season somebody will sign the guy. Especially if he shows improvement again this season.

    That is the difference IMO That Locker is gonna be 26 years old next year in free agency. If a 35-year old career backup in McCown can get $5 million a year based off just one season.... Then I'm pretty sure a 26-year old who has improved every year will be able to get more based on potential.

    Especially if the Bengals get an extension worked out with Andy Dalton. That would put Locker as the only quarterback in free agency with really any starting experience that won't be on the verge of retirement.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I see what you guys are saying but I disagree.

    Jake Locker is young and has shown improvement each of the last 3 seasons. Its his health that is of question. If he can start the majority of this season somebody will sign the guy. Especially if he shows improvement again this season.

    That is the difference IMO That Locker is gonna be 26 years old next year in free agency. If a 35-year old career backup in McCown can get $5 million a year based off just one season.... Then I'm pretty sure a 26-year old who has improved every year will be able to get more based on potential.

    Especially if the Bengals get an extension worked out with Andy Dalton. That would put Locker as the only quarterback in free agency with really any starting experience that won't be on the verge of retirement.
    McCown played out of his mind last season after being thrust into the starting job and limited reps to that point. Jake Locker is Sam Bradford, both are talented but always injured but both franchised are married to them. It will cost us just as it's costing the Rams.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    601
    vCash
    1567
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I see what you guys are saying but I disagree.

    Jake Locker is young and has shown improvement each of the last 3 seasons. Its his health that is of question. If he can start the majority of this season somebody will sign the guy. Especially if he shows improvement again this season.

    That is the difference IMO That Locker is gonna be 26 years old next year in free agency. If a 35-year old career backup in McCown can get $5 million a year based off just one season.... Then I'm pretty sure a 26-year old who has improved every year will be able to get more based on potential.

    Especially if the Bengals get an extension worked out with Andy Dalton. That would put Locker as the only quarterback in free agency with really any starting experience that won't be on the verge of retirement.
    It would be a supply/demand type of thing. I think no matter how he plays, 5-6 million a year is what the titans will offer. That is unless he plays like Peyton Manning then it will be a totally different story. I do agree a team will overpay for him but I highly doubt it would be the titans.
    Psalms 118:6 - The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,651
    vCash
    500
    I bring this up because I was thinking about the situation and in all reality I can see this season almost being a lost cause if nothing else at least in terms of the quarterback position. Because here are the things that I see happening

    (1) Jake Locker gets hurt and misses significant time. He obviously doesn't get resigned for 2015.

    (2) Jake Locker stays reasonably healthy but performs at an average level. If this happens even if he gets resigned you can't feel that he is your franchise quarterback.

    (3) Jake Locker stays healthy and has his best season. If this happens I think we lose him in free agency. Because I can't see the Titans going out to overpay or using the franchise tag.

    So IMO its very likely that this is Jake Locker's last season as a Titan. Agree? Disagree?
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 05-18-2014 at 11:07 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I bring this up because I was thinking about the situation and in all reality I can see this season almost being a lost cause if nothing else at least in terms of the quarterback position. Because here are the things that I see happening

    (1) Jake Locker gets hurt and misses significant time. He obviously doesn't get resigned for 2015.

    (2) Jake Locker stays reasonably healthy but performs at an average level. If this happens even if he gets resigned you can't feel that he is your franchise quarterback.

    (3) Jake Locker stays healthy and has his best season. If this happens I think we lose him in free agency. Because I can't see the Titans going out to overpay or using the franchise tag.

    So IMO its very likely that this is Jake Locker's last season as a Titan. Agree? Disagree?
    I completely disagree. If Locker doesn't stay healthy or put up his best statistical season yet, he is gone. We now have more leverage to make such a bold move because we now have a qb on the roster who could potentially develop into a franchise player. If Locker were to have a career year I could see us throwing a 2 year/9 million dollar deal at him on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. Frankly, I believe this will be Lockers final season tho. I hope I'm wrong and he proves to be our guy for the next decade but I have litte reason to believe so. I believe Mett will start a couple games this season and his play will directly effect Jake Locker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •