Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Derek Fisher becoming frontrunner for Knicks job

When Steve Kerr chose Golden State — the smart move in terms of basketball, money and family — and I started thinking about a Plan B list for the Knicks, I thought Derek Fisher might well end up with it.

Fisher is a Phil Jackson guy. He is a big believer in culture in the locker room and organization. He is a leader. If someone such as Jason Kidd can make the leap, Fisher would be able to fit in that mold.

Now comes a report from Frank Isola at the New York Daily News suggesting people close to the team think Fisher is the front-runner.

Oklahoma City guard Derek Fisher, who played under Phil Jackson with the Los Angeles Lakers, is emerging as a leading candidate to join Jackson in New York now that Jackson’s first choice, Steve Kerr, has agreed to terms with the Golden State Warriors. Fisher, of course, has zero head coaching experience, but Jackson believes that Fisher has the intelligence and work ethic to become successful if he happened to make the move from player to coach. Most recently, Jason Kidd went right from playing to being hired as head coach of the Brooklyn Nets…

Jackson’s plan, according to a source, would be to assemble an experienced staff around Fisher that could potentially include Kurt Rambis and Bill Cartwright, two former NBA head coaches. Jackson thinks highly of Rambis, the longtime Lakers assistant, and there is a possibility that Rambis could be hired as a head coach.

There are a number of issues here. For one, Derek Fisher still has a day job as backup point guard for the Oklahoma City Thunder. That job is going to keep him very busy for at least another couple weeks as OKC takes on the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference Finals. There is a real chance Fisher could be busy in the Finals through mid-June. That’s really dragging things out and shrinking the field if you don’t land Fisher.

Then there’s that whole “he’s never coached a day in his life and now we’re giving him a premier job in a tough market” thing. Or the “do you really want to bring in Kurt Rambis as an assistant after he butted heads with soon to be free agent Kevin Love” thing.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...rk-knicks-job/

vCash
    Good luck knicks
    7 Rec, 69 YD, 1TD

vCash
    Once OKC gets ousted in the WCF, then Fisher will become the coach.

vCash
    As a fan that hates the Knicks, I'm sure I will find this most interesting.
    Generosity, that was my first mistake

vCash
    Crazy how this guy is the frontrunner but yet is currently draining 3s in the playoffs. The ultimate overachiever for a role player.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    He could probably do well as a coach.

vCash
    He could be a player coach. Didnt lenny wilkins do that back in the 70s

Mike Woodson NYK

Record ... 72 - 34

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elledaddy View Post
    He could be a player coach. Didnt lenny wilkins do that back in the 70s
    I don't think that's allowed anymore

vCash
    At this rate he'd b our coach n our starting pg

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKNYGNYY View Post
    At this rate he'd b our coach n our starting pg
    This. Just get the fat scrub away from the court and give him a good burger

vCash
    Two Derek Fisher threads at one time... I like it

vCash
    So what is Jackson doing, providing jobs for his former players who are seeking employment?

Can't wait to see Scottie Pippen become an Assistant Coach, and Dennis Rodman an assistant GM

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    He'll probably hate it there, get out of his contract and then get another job. Just as he did several times as a player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    So what is Jackson doing, providing jobs for his former players who are seeking employment?

Can't wait to see Scottie Pippen become an Assistant Coach, and Dennis Rodman an assistant GM
    Well he's basically trying to develop a foundation to build a championship organization. Only great organizations, top to bottom, win a title. Phil would love to implement the triangle, and as a GM, he merely has to find the coaches who can teach the system, and then look for players that he can develop and fit.

I think it's a smart move considering it is one of the most successful offensive systems in league history and it would be a shame to see it die with the Lakers. The emphasis on spacing and ball movement as well as post play is what made it so remarkable. It was one of the most beautiful things for me to watch about the game really.

I don't really think Pippen has the type of personality to coach nor does Rodman. I get you're trying to be funny but it really wasn't. I see all of Phil's moves improving the Knicks and I'm happy for Fischer. The Knicks fans would be wise to not question a man with 11 rings.

vCash
    give him 6 year/$60 mill! suck it Kerr!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast