Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Robert Mathis suspended 4 games

Robert Mathis has been suspended first 4 games suspended without pay for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances
    https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/sta...06567747645440

Of all people.............
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Mathis' statement:

ROBERT MATHIS STATEMENT: "It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double check before I took the medication at the end of last season. The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the Commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union. The incredible blessing of this very upsetting situation is that, after I took the medication very briefly at the end of last season, we learned that my wife is expecting a baby. We are thrilled that we will be welcoming a new member in several months, but I apologize to my teammates, coaches and Colts fans that I will not be able to contribute to my team for the first four weeks of the 2014 season. I will work extremely hard during that time to stay in top football shape and will be prepared to contribute immediately upon my return."
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s1piub
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Oh for **** sakes

vCash
    ****ing great.

vCash
    Considering this has been in the works for a few months, Grigson had to have known about the possibility of it. So he SHOULD have had a plan for it. We'll see what it is. Colts better be on the market for pass rush this summer because they'll need it even when Mathis is back.

As for the schedule, it changes nothing: Colts were going to lose to Den/Phi with Mathis and they will beat Jax/Ten without him.

Time for Werner to do something good.

<3

vCash
    OK I am starting a mob to go find Roger Goodell. Who is with me?!

vCash
    Damn.

#iubb

vCash
    Whether the substance Mathis took was banned or not, this is a bull **** suspension and I'd be suing the NFL. Other players are out there being thugs (Pacman Jones) drinking and driving (Donte Stallworth), triple murder (Hernandez), yet a guy who has no history as a troublemaker gets punished. Absolute crap. Football before your family.

vCash
    We were going to lose to Den and Philly anyways? Really? Philly whos got a solid offense but NO defense and lost Jackson and Den who we beat last year? Come on dude, we could easily beat them both. Without Mathis im not so sure. Hoping he can appeal and get this overturned. Its a bs suspension, if Sherman and Browner can get out of theres then Mathis can get out of this.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts2180 View Post
    We were going to lose to Den and Philly anyways? Really? Philly whos got a solid offense but NO defense and lost Jackson and Den who we beat last year? Come on dude, we could easily beat them both. Without Mathis im not so sure. Hoping he can appeal and get this overturned. Its a bs suspension, if Sherman and Browner can get out of theres then Mathis can get out of this.
    Lol, dude remember what Peyton Manning did to the Ravens last year? Well he's going to do the same thing to our mediocre defense. He's pissed after losing the SuperBowl so he's going to try to make a statement... no better team to do it against than ours.

As for Philly.... again, our defense won't stop them at all... and it may be too late before Pep realizes that he has a good passing game.

<3

vCash
    Philly lost its second best weapon and cant stop a grandma with a walker. We know how to defend Peyton so idc how pissed he is. You dont think he didnt really want to win that game against us last year? Come on. With Mathis we have great chances to win both. Without him I think we still beat Philly as long as we contain McCoy and may lose to Den but ill never count us out of any game. When healthy we beat the best teams in the league and we're better now than we was then. I like our chances.
    Last edited by Colts2180; 05-17-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    I see both sides of this and while I am leaning towards questioning the suspension of Mathis because of all the documentation from the doctor that they reportedly presented (or tried to present) to the NFL that stated his use why not give him another test to see if he is still using it. Since this has probably been in the works for months why not test him again to get more information if they do not believe his story? He took it for a few days and then got tested....once it came out why not test him again to see if he is still taking it?

Now I know NFL has a strict policy and if you take a banned substance without a pass from the NFL then you get suspended. They do have to watch for free passes given in situations like this as agents and the NFLPA can always point to previous issues where they have been more forgiving. This also isn't Mathi's 2nd or 3rd suspension here and I think 12 years with no problems and all the evidence that is reported to being there should be taken into consideration. This to me is like someone telling someone else they are going to kill them when joking them around, then arresting them for a death threat.

I know these may be extreme situations, but I'm looking for common sense from the NFL which is probably asking way too much. Would they suspend someone for getting severe poison ivy or possibly accidentally ingesting it and getting a steroid shot at the emergency room or having to use something similar if say they eat something they didn't know they were allergic to? I assume albuterol is banned which is something they give people with Anaphylaxis to help with breathing....so in essence if the league tested a player in that situation they would have to suspend him for getting his life saved...basically if any NFL player does have this situation happen to them they should be tested because the league should know how they would be saved in the hospital by a banned substance with no exception given by the NFL prior to getting it. According to them you are responsible for what you put in your body. This might actually happen at some point and thinking about it I'm shocked it hasn't at least that I've heard of....a guy that has been poor all his life living away from any ocean and never had the opportunity to eat seafood having a surf and turf to celebrate a big contract not knowing he was allergic to shell fish is something that could easily happen.

Now I do realize this isn't a life or death situation like above could potentially be, but just some common sense here. I would even be fine with the league saying something like "We know the situation and the circumstances surrounding it as well as the sensitive nature of it, however it is the player's duty to clear everything they ingest to ensure it complies with the drug policy." and cut his suspension to 2 or 1 game.

I just look at instances like Frostee Rucker...who was arrested for spousal battery and vandalism, but plead guilty to vandalism and false imprisonment and had his 1 game suspension rescinded. At least at the time any domestic violence incident was a one game suspension....so I guess imprisoning your wife is not domestic violence per the league rules so he got nothing from the NFL. This was a circumstance where the wording meant the same damn thing as an offense, because at least IMO imprisoning your wife involves at least some domestic violence to keep them imprisoned and he should have been suspended for but he was given a pass...then again common sense doesn't belong in the court room and it seems the NFL as well. This tells me there are ways around NFL policies....like punishing him under the substance abuse policy rather than the PED policy since they have proven this was not meant for that reason....which is basically they test him more often for stage one.

I could keep going with a few more things, but I'll just stop here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    Considering this has been in the works for a few months, Grigson had to have known about the possibility of it. So he SHOULD have had a plan for it. We'll see what it is. Colts better be on the market for pass rush this summer because they'll need it even when Mathis is back.

As for the schedule, it changes nothing: Colts were going to lose to Den/Phi with Mathis and they will beat Jax/Ten without him.

Time for Werner to do something good.
    I'm thinking this was the reason for picking Jonathon Newsome who was compared to Mathis. He will probably be the backup JACK LB with Werner starting at that spot.

Why are you so down on the Colts man...really? Yes very easily could be a loss to Den, but Philly has a one year wonder at QB that played out of his mind....he won't be a 27-2 QB and he just lost his leading WR, and they don't have much of a pass rush to bother Luck being 20th in the league last year (we were 11th) in sacks.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 05-17-2014 at 01:24 PM.

vCash
    We all know what the teams needs to do.... It is time to UNLEASH THE ADONGO!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I'm thinking this was the reason for picking Jonathon Newsome who was compared to Mathis. He will probably be the backup JACK LB with Werner starting at that spot.

Why are you so down on the Colts man...really? Yes very easily could be a loss to Den, but Philly has a one year wonder at QB that played out of his mind....he won't be a 27-2 QB and he just lost his leading WR, and they don't have much of a pass rush to bother Luck being 20th in the league last year (we were 11th) in sacks.
    Grigson's underwhelming off season has me concerned. I don't think the Colts are bad I just think they aren't as good as everyone here thinks they are.

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast