Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    14,824
    vCash
    1500

    2014 MLB Draft Thread

    Draft is coming up in a couple of weeks (June5-7) and the Giants will have the 14th overall pick in the first round. Really pitching heavy draft this year so it wouldn't be surprising for the Giants to snag a pitcher but anything can happen.

    Some interesting names:

    OF Bradley Zimmer: Younger brother of pitcher Kyle Zimmer who pitches in the Royals system. Both brothers attended University of San Francisco.

    1B Casey Gillespie: Younger brother of former Giants first round supplemental pick Conor Gillespie who also attended Wichita St.

    SP Tyler Beede: Former first round pick of the Toronto Blue Jays who decided to attend Vanderbilt instead where he was successful.

    OF Derek Fisher: Former top draft prospect, was picked in the sixth round in 2011 and demanded a seven figure signing bonus which the Rangers did not meet. Went to Virginia where he played inconsistently.

    Mocks:
    14. Giants: Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway HS (S.C.)
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

    14. Giants: Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway HS (S.C.)
    http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

    14. GIANTS: The Giants will have plenty of out-of-the-way power arms to consider, from prep righthanders Grant Holmes and Sean Reid-Foley to physical Hartford lefty Sean Newcomb. But personnel director Dick Tidrow would be just the guy to bring the most out of Vanderbilt’s erratic ace Beede.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...op-first-mock/

    Keith Law has an Insider Only mock draft where he also has Grant Holmes going to the Giants.

    Here is a scouting report on Holmes: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...sc-high-school

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    25,381
    vCash
    2500
    Law mentioned Jeff Hoffman (RHP, East Carolina) "doesn't get past them" and that "they're the high team" on Monte Harrison (OF, Lee's Summit [M.O.] HS).
    Last edited by SFrush90; 05-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.

    2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    21,857
    vCash
    1500
    I hope they draft Luis Ortiz from Sanger HS. I've seen him pitch in person, the kid's got a live arm!

    I've seen him projected anywhere from early 1st to mid 2nd.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    16,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersuck View Post
    OF Derek Fisher: Former top draft prospect, was picked in the sixth round in 2011 and demanded a seven figure signing bonus which the Rangers did not meet. Went to Virginia where he played inconsistently.
    Want him for sure, for obvious reasons

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The SCO
    Posts
    21,461
    vCash
    1500

    2014 MLB Draft Thread

    Bradley Zimmer is super intriguing. He's huge, he's fast, and he swings a big bat.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    14,824
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ESaady View Post
    Bradley Zimmer is super intriguing. He's huge, he's fast, and he swings a big bat.
    From what I've seen/heard Zimmer isn't particularly fast but more like a tick above average maybe. He reminds me a little of Alex Gordon.

    I am hoping for Sean Newcomb out of Hartford, huge lefty with a nice delivery and good stuff. Assuming none of the top fringe players like Gordon, Nola, or Jackson fall I think Newcomb, Zimmer, or Hoffman would be nice picks. I trust the Giants instincts when it comes to drafting, particularly with pitchers. Kyle Schwarber would be a nice pick too as he is the top power prospect and should be there when we pick. He could be up in the bigs relatively quickly and fill our long-term left field problem.

    A couple of names I am not too fond of are Kolek (he won't reach us anyways), Toussaint (high stress delivery), or Trea Turner (Fringy tools with the bat but good speed and defense at short).
    Last edited by dodgersuck; 05-20-2014 at 04:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    21,857
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers + Giants View Post
    Want him for sure, for obvious reasons
    The question is, will he sign with the Giants or accept the head coaching job in NY?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    La Habra, CA
    Posts
    16,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    The question is, will he sign with the Giants or accept the head coaching job in NY?

    I wouldn't mind him coaching us .

    **** NY!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,954
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Law mentioned Jeff Hoffman (RHP, East Carolina) "doesn't get past them" and that "they're the high team" on Monte Harrison (OF, Lee's Summit [M.O.] HS).
    I don't think he lasts that long, Blue Jays have picks 9 and 11, and if he doesn't go 9, the mets might select him at 10.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,954
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersuck View Post
    From what I've seen/heard Zimmer isn't particularly fast but more like a tick above average maybe. He reminds me a little of Alex Gordon.

    I am hoping for Sean Newcomb out of Hartford, huge lefty with a nice delivery and good stuff. Assuming none of the top fringe players like Gordon, Nola, or Jackson fall I think Newcomb, Zimmer, or Hoffman would be nice picks. I trust the Giants instincts when it comes to drafting, particularly with pitchers. Kyle Schwarber would be a nice pick too as he is the top power prospect and should be there when we pick. He could be up in the bigs relatively quickly and fill our long-term left field problem.

    A couple of names I am not too fond of are Kolek (he won't reach us anyways), Toussaint (high stress delivery), or Trea Turner (Fringy tools with the bat but good speed and defense at short).
    I really like that guy, I have been watching him for a while, though Mayo say's that the mets have been in love with him for a while, http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    he does seems to have some control issues, but he is still very young. I really like Eric Fedde before he got hurt as well.

    Kyle Schwarber is a huge dude 6'0 240lb, he looks more like a 1B/DH than an outfielder, I wounder how much range he will end up having.


    Gillaspie is a naturally left handed switch hitter, which is kind of rare.
    Last edited by ciaban; 05-24-2014 at 03:45 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    14,824
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I really like that guy, I have been watching him for a while, though Mayo say's that the mets have been in love with him for a while, http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb
    he does seems to have some control issues, but he is still very young. I really like Eric Fedde before he got hurt as well.

    Kyle Schwarber is a huge dude 6'0 240lb, he looks more like a 1B/DH than an outfielder, I wounder how much range he will end up having.


    Gillaspie is a naturally left handed switch hitter, which is kind of rare.
    Didn't notice the physical aspect on Schwarber but that's a good point. I love how the ball just jumps out of Newcomb's hand, I think he would be a great pick but there are a ton of nice pitchers that will be at 14.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249
    vCash
    1500

    My thoughts on the 2014 MLB Draft

    Gentleman,
    Been away a while. Saw this thread. Here is my take on the 2014 Draft, and how the Giants might proceed.

    I will do this in 4 parts: Part 1 will be Summary via History, Part 2 will cover the arms, Part 3 will cover the bats, and Part 4 will include some random thoughts.

    Part 1: Summary via History...

    The 2014 MLB Draft is loaded with pitching – deep at both at the college and HS level. And if past is prologue, this draft reminds me of the 2006 MLB Draft – 9 pitchers taken in the first 12 picks, including:

    Luke Hochevar: KCR (#1overall pick)
    Greg Reynolds: COL (#2overall pick)
    Brad Lincoln: PIT (#4overall pick)
    Brandon Morrow: SEA (#5overall pick)
    Andrew Miller: DET (#6overall pick)
    Clayton Kershaw: LAD (#7overall pick)
    Tim Lincecum: SFG (#10 overall pick)
    Max Scherzer: ARI (#11overall pick)
    Kasey Kiker: TEX (#12overall pick)

    And a few good ones, later in Round 1- including…
    Kyle Drabek: PHI (#18 overall pick)
    Ian Kennedy: NYY (#21 overall pick)
    Adam Ottavino: STL (#30 overall pick)

    The Giants seem happy with Lincecum (with 2 Cy Young awards, 2 World Series rings, and a no-hitter, and still in his 20’s – why not?), and the Dodgers feel the same about Kershaw (he has 2 Cy Young awards, no World Series hardware, and has never pitched a no-hitter. But he is still young). And Scherzer worked out OK – for Detroit (hey, at least the Diamondbacks got Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy in trade for him). Yes, there were a few diamonds among the non-pitchers – Evan Longoria (#3, to TB). But, all in all, the 2006 Draft showed what a good arm can do for a club.

    Next: Part 2 - the 2014 Draft: Arms

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249
    vCash
    1500

    Next: Part 2 - the 2014 Draft: Arms

    Next: Part 2 - the 2014 Draft: Arms

    The 2014 Draft can boast the following arms…

    The “Big 3” (in predicted order of selection (predicted by me, FWIW))
    Brady Aiken, LHP, Cardiff by the Sea, CA: Good build (6’3”, 180 lbs.), tall with room to fill out. Live arm (fastball now topping out at 97 mph, sits at 92-94). Good curve, changeup. Good command for a prep arm. He throws strikes. He is committed to UCLA. Always in the mix for top 3, but his continued improvement has swayed many to reconsider him for #1 overall.

    Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State Univ.: Good build (6’3”, 235 lbs.), and he has filled out in college. Live arm (fastball now topping out at 97 mph, sits at 91-94). Great slider (perhaps his best pitch), and changeup is good, and improving. Command has been an issue this year, and his status as sure-fire #1 overall pick is now in doubt. However, there is little doubt he will go in the top 3.

    Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd, TX: Like everything else in Texas, this kid is big (6’5”, 250 lbs.). Very live arm (fastball topping out at 100 mph, sits at 91-94). Great curve (12-6 drop), and exceptional slider. Command and control not up to level of his stuff, as expected in a prep arm. He will need development, but arms like this don’t come around often – he’ll be gone in top 5.


    The “Next 9” (listed in alphabetical order)
    Tyler Beede, RHP, Vanderbilt Univ.: Good build (6’4”, 215 lbs.), with a bit more room to fill out. Has three above-average pitches right now (fast ball - 92-94 mph and can clock as high as 97, sharp curve, good changeup – both in the low 80’s). Mechanics need work – does not always maintain consistent delivery, which detracts from his command. With better command, he would go in the top 5 – his stuff is that dominant.

    Kyle Freeland, LHP, Evansville Univ.: Good height for a lefty - (6’4”, 185 lbs.), with room to fill out. Good, not great velocity (fastball at 90-93, very heavy, topping out at 95 mph) but very deceptive delivery and very good control. Good slider (low 80s) and cutter (mid-80s). Throws a changeup also, but it needs work. Good command – especially with the slider. Not widely followed, but he could go in the top 15.

    Brandon Finnegan, LHP, TCU: Not very big (5'11", 185 lbs.), especially for a collegian. Has a very live arm (fastball at 93-95, topping out at 97 mph). His slider (low 80’s) is improving. He does not have a third pitch of note. High effort delivery – raises some long term health concerns. But explosive velocity from the left side like this is rare. With his size, and lack of third pitch, he could be a future closer.

    Jeff Hoffman, RHP, East Carolina Univ.: Big time arm, big time gamble. Good build (6’4”, 185 lbs.), with a much more room to fill out. Has three above-average pitches right now (fast ball - 92-95 mph and can clock as high as 98, excellent curve, very good changeup). He excelled in the Cape Cod League in 2012 and 2013. The bad news: A sore elbow gave way to Tommy John surgery in May of 2014. Before that, he was considered a top 5 pick. He won’t pick up a ball again until May of 2015, but if he does recover, we are talking stellar arm here.

    Grant Holmes, RHP, Conway, SC: Very mature build for a prep guy (6’1”, 200 lbs.), not much more room to grow here. Very live arm (fastball topping out at 100 mph, sits at 93-95, reaches 97 late in games). Devastating curve (12-6 drop). He has not developed a third pitch. He does throw a changeup, but not very often – his other two pitches are so good, he does not need it – so it will need work. Conditioning a question mark earlier, but he is in shape this year - and showing what a dominant arm can look like.

    Sean Newcomb, LHP, Univ. Hartford: Big time size for a lefty - (6’5”, 240 lbs.). Has a live arm (fastball at 90-94, topping out at 97 mph). Good changeup. Slider is even better (low 80’s, with good bite). Not many Connecticut guys go in the first round (George Springer went #11 in 2011, and he is working out OK), and fewer from Hartford Univ. (Jeff Bagwell, 4th round in 1989, was the last of note). He needs to improve command, but a LHP with this kind of arm is not easy to find. He will go in the first round – likely in the top 15 picks.

    Aaron Nola, RHP, LSU: Acceptable height on a slim frame (6'2", 170 lbs.), for a collegian. There is some doubt that he will fill out much more. Not a big time, power arm (fastball sits at 90-93), but excellent command – perhaps the best in this years’ class - of 3 pitches (fastball, changeup, breaking ball). Has a three-quarters arm slot, producing strong sink (good), and concerns about future arm trouble (bad). Has the highest floor (but not the highest ceiling) of any choice in the Draft, which could make him very desirable to a team that wants someone who can move through the minors quickly. Because of his high floor, I would not be surprised to see him go in the top 12 picks.

    Sean Reid-Foley, RHP, Jacksonville, FL: Good size for a prep guy (6’3”, 220 lbs.), more room to fill out. Good arm (fastball topping out at 95 mph, sits at 91-93, throwing across his body, allowing it to run inside on left-handers). He has a hard braking ball. He has not developed a third pitch. Has polish for a prep guy, but his command needs work. He could go in the first 20 picks

    Touki Toussaint, RHP, Coral Springs, FL: The ultimate low-floor, high-ceiling guy. Good build for a prep guy (6’2”, 195 lbs.), more room to grow. Fast, loose arm (fastball topping out at 97 mph, sits at 91-93). Devastating curve (throws it in the 70 mph range, with huge 12-6 drop). He was born, and he lived, in Haiti for 5 years. Then, he was raised in the US. Has not played many years of baseball – not much mileage on his arm (good) – and his command and mechanics show that (bad). Excellent athlete – he played OF on his HS team. Make no mistake: He needs a lot of work – more than most any pitcher in this class. But for the right organization, his ceiling is as high as any pitcher in this draft.

    Next: Part 3 - the 2014 Draft: Bats
    Last edited by kar120c; 06-05-2014 at 08:10 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    11,954
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kar120c View Post
    Gentleman,
    Been away a while. Saw this thread. Here is my take on the 2014 Draft, and how the Giants might proceed.

    I will do this in 4 parts: Part 1 will be Summary via History, Part 2 will cover the arms, Part 3 will cover the bats, and Part 4 will include some random thoughts.

    Part 1: Summary via History...

    The 2014 MLB Draft is loaded with pitching – deep at both at the college and HS level. And if past is prologue, this draft reminds me of the 2006 MLB Draft – 9 pitchers taken in the first 12 picks, including:

    Luke Hochevar: KCR (#1overall pick)
    Greg Reynolds: COL (#2overall pick)
    Brad Lincoln: PIT (#4overall pick)
    Brandon Morrow: SEA (#5overall pick)
    Andrew Miller: DET (#6overall pick)
    Clayton Kershaw: LAD (#7overall pick)
    Tim Lincecum: SFG (#10 overall pick)
    Max Scherzer: ARI (#11overall pick)
    Kasey Kiker: TEX (#12overall pick)

    And a few good ones, later in Round 1- including…
    Kyle Drabek: PHI (#18 overall pick)
    Ian Kennedy: NYY (#21 overall pick)
    Adam Ottavino: STL (#30 overall pick)

    The Giants seem happy with Lincecum (with 2 Cy Young awards, 2 World Series rings, and a no-hitter, and still in his 20’s – why not?), and the Dodgers feel the same about Kershaw (he has 2 Cy Young awards, no World Series hardware, and has never pitched a no-hitter. But he is still young). And Scherzer worked out OK – for Detroit (hey, at least the Diamondbacks got Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy in trade for him). Yes, there were a few diamonds among the non-pitchers – Evan Longoria (#3, to TB). But, all in all, the 2006 Draft showed what a good arm can do for a club.

    Next: Part 2 - the 2014 Draft: Arms
    Kershaw was the only highschool arm taken in the top 11 that year.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249
    vCash
    1500

    Next: Part 3 - the Bats

    Summary of the Bats: There is no one in this Draft who would be called an "elite" bat. Most have issues – good power but not so good contact, limited options in the field, etc. But there are definitely some power bats in this draft. Also, as mentioned before, this year is deep in pitching – some of these hitters may go lower because of that.

    The 2014 Draft can boast the following bats…

    Alex Jackson, C/OF, Rancho Bernardo HS, Calif.: Bats: R, Throws: R. Not huge (6’2”, 195 lbs.) and he has matured physically, but this is a huge power bat. Has light tower power, with a good approach to boot. His swing is a bit long – he will strike out – but he will make hard contact. His biggest problem is position. As a catcher, his receiving ability needs work. But he has a great arm – some see him in RF. Not a fast runner, so 3B may be an option as well. Whilst this year’s draft is a bit thin on bats, his power potential puts him near the top of that list. Will likely go in the first 10 picks.

    Trea Turner, SS, North Carolina State: Bats: R, Throws: R. In a weak year for SS, he may be the best. Has a lean build (6’1”, 170 lbs.), with some room to fill out. Fast? Turner runs like the wind blows. He can make contact when he wants to, but his swing can get a bit long at times, looking to produce power that is not there, but may come to him when he fills out. Good defender at SS – could stick there in the majors. Good, not great, arm. Bold, exciting player – could go in the top 10, to a team that does not feel the need for drafting a pitcher right away.

    Bradley Zimmer, OF, Univ. San Francisco: Bats: L, Throws: R. Tall, lean build (6’4”, 185 lbs.), reminiscent of Shawn Green. At bat, he offers a smooth, flat, line drive swing. Hard to project power with that swing. Good pitch recognition, makes good contact and does not strike out too much. Plays CF now, runs very well, but has above average arm – he may also see RF in his future. Younger brother of Kyle Zimmer. He will benefit from a draft that is a bit thin on bats, will likely go in the first 15 picks.

    Michael Conforto, OF, Oregon State: Bats: L, Throws: R. Solid build for a collegian (6’1”, 190 lbs.), not much more room to grow. At bat, he offers a polished blend of power (with an aggressive, uppercut swing) and patience (he will take his walks when they are there) – very uncommon in a young hitter. Plays LF now, but has average arm and sub-par speed – he may also see 1B in his future. He will benefit from a draft that is a bit thin on bats, will likely go in the first 20 picks

    Nick Gordon, SS, Olympia HS, FL. Bats: L, Throws: R. Similar build to his brother, Dee Gordon, but a bit taller (6’1”, 170 lbs.). Very fast, very good arm (enough to stick at SS), very little power. He will make contact. Could go in the first 20 picks.

    Kyle Schwarber, C/OF, Indiana Univ.: Bats: L, Throws: R. Similar to Alex Jackson. Not so tall, but strong build (6’0”, 235 lbs.), he generates huge power. As a college player, his power has no peer. And he does make contact – his swing is not too long. However, he does not run, field, or throw well. He may need to move to 1B in the majors. Perhaps not a top 10 pick, but he will likely go toward the lower end of the first round.

    A.J. Reed, 1B, Univ. of Kentucky: Bats: L, Throws: L. Big time size (6’4”, 240 lbs.). Big time power swing and improving as a contact hitter as well - while maintaining the long ball results. Big time arm (as a pitcher, he won 6 of 8 starts this spring at Kentucky). However, he has only an average glove, and below average speed. Hard to see him anywhere but 1B. Could go toward the lower end of the first round.

    Derek Hill, OF, Elk Grove HS, Calif.: Bats: R, Throws: R. Tall and Lean (6’2”, 175 lbs.), with room to fill out. Solid bat, flat swing, mature approach, but power is not yet there. Outstanding speed, and very good arm – he plays CF as well as anyone in this draft. Another player who will benefit from a draft that is a bit thin on bats, will likely go lower in the first round.

    Up Next
    Part 4 of this report will cover Some additional info related to the Giants and the Draft. Stay tuned…
    Last edited by kar120c; 06-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •