Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Koreen: Nets' playoff results make us look at Raps more critically

Good perspective here IMO amid all the heightened hopes and expectations.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=sports.nationalpost.com/2014/05/15/miami-heats-manhandling-of-brooklyn-nets-shows-toronto-raptors-still-many-steps-away-from-contending-for-title

vCash
    No one thought this team was a contender. We won a weak division. We got the 3 seed in a weak conference.

I'm fine with keeping the core for another 2 years because I think the division is ours for the taking during that time, and our young players can grow and develop through playoff experience.

Eventually though, we'll need an elite player to take that next step, and if we are not drafting top 5, Masai better be planning for acquiring one though either FA or trade. If this team has success and growth over the next 2 years, it should be a somewhat desirable place for FAs or our players should have decent enough trade value to acquire one.
    Finally,
    A Sig With Class.

vCash
    To be fair rating teams best to worst is not linear. Rosters, playing styles and tendencies will get different results depending on the different opponent. One can't say the Heat beat Brooklyn bad and Brooklyn beat us so Miami would of beat us even worse than they did Brooklyn. personally if you had to put a number to it I would say going into the playoffs the Nets had a better percentage chance to win a championship but the Raps had a better percentage chance to win a series against the heat than Brooklyn did.

You wish it was Bowser

vCash
    None of that bothers me one bit, this team was the youngest in the playoffs with damn near no experience and has some major garbage pieces that will soon be gone. The Nets barley beat us and any production from are SF and it could of easily been are series. Plus the Heat are getting worse so this is the time to get better come next year or the year after and we could be that team to dethrone the Heat.

vCash
    I don't think this article really butts up against many of the expectations we had for this team had they beaten Brooklyn. I think the best case scenario if we were facing the Heat would be to learn how to maybe take a game. We have 15 straight regular season losses against that team and haven't been able to take a single game against them in 4 straight seasons. It would certainly be a humbling reminder of how far we have to go - and seeing how Brooklyn fell should hopefully instill that message.

vCash
    I like the approach that Masai seems to be saying he is going to take.

Continuity in the organization can be a selective thing. As long as that is the case this team can optimize its potential. Especially if sounds decisions are made.

Sure some of pieces might need to change. But at least we are no longer in the position were damn near all of the pieces needed to change. We also finally have assets beyond just our own picks.

We definitely aren't 'there' yet but progress is being made and we had a long way to go it seemed only 2 years ago. That is something we shouldn't forget or take lightly.

Overall we are in a pretty good position but probably not good enough to ride this core to a championship.

vCash
    It was a nice first-look at the playoffs for a lot of guys on the Raptors. If the players and coaching had more experience I think they would have easily beaten Brooklyn and given Miami more of a series with their current roster.

Team defense fell apart in the playoffs. I watch a lot of basketball and seeing the Raptors lack of help defense and communication really hurt. I believe they are way better than what they showed.

IMO besides talent & chemistry, the biggest thing that separates the contenders from the bottom of the barrel is the belief that they are a contender and accepting the challenge of working your *** off to get to the finals. The Raptors organization and everyone else had already conceded the 2nd round if they made it there. If you go into the playoffs with the mentality "we made it!" and not "the real season starts now" you're not going to win anything.

So, in a nutshell, I think with some better coaching and a change in thinking (which might come naturally), this current roster can quickly become an elite team.

vCash
    I don't think it should be a surprise to anyone, and I don't think it's particularly insightful either. We've had the same conversation for alotta pages around here.

vCash
    bogus article if you want to call it that. offers zero explanation other than the team that beat us just got beat by the best team in the nba. Thanks for the insight Eric.

i take a different view. we played about as poorly as we could and only came 2 points short of advancing. that and the organic growth i'm anticipating in the years to come, there is no comparison between Brooklyn's result and our future.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    I didn't expect Raptors to do that well in the regular season, but their playoff performance tells me we need star power and keeping this core as it is will get us nowhere when the East gets loaded with these new prospects in a "generation draft". Otherwise we'd just be the East version of the Nuggets.
    We are Anonymous,
    We are Legion,
    We do not forgive,
    We do not forget,
    Expect us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ACanadian View Post
    I didn't expect Raptors to do that well in the regular season, but their playoff performance tells me we need star power and keeping this core as it is will get us nowhere when the East gets loaded with these new prospects in a "generation draft". Otherwise we'd just be the East version of the Nuggets.

Agreed..
    Honestly what this franchise is missing a Franchise Player.

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    I like the approach that Masai seems to be saying he is going to take.

Continuity in the organization can be a selective thing. As long as that is the case this team can optimize its potential. Especially if sounds decisions are made.

Sure some of pieces might need to change. But at least we are no longer in the position were damn near all of the pieces needed to change. We also finally have assets beyond just our own picks.

We definitely aren't 'there' yet but progress is being made and we had a long way to go it seemed only 2 years ago. That is something we shouldn't forget or take lightly.

Overall we are in a pretty good position but probably not good enough to ride this core to a championship.
    I like that perspective. Change is still very necessary. No discounting the achievements of the last year, but awareness of the tier we actually occupy and the challenge involved in reach the upper level(s). Still like the article's perspective a lot. Framing expectations as you've done is already a critical POV - in the constructive sense of the word.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Agreed..
    Masai has quickly created potentially the best "backup singers" in the NBA. Now we need the franchise player(s) to reach the main stage. How that's to be done is the miracle that few if any have the answer to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    bogus article if you want to call it that. offers zero explanation other than the team that beat us just got beat by the best team in the nba. Thanks for the insight Eric.

i take a different view. we played about as poorly as we could and only came 2 points short of advancing. that and the organic growth i'm anticipating in the years to come, there is no comparison between Brooklyn's result and our future.
    This.

Derozan finally broke through as well I feel during that series. I'm excited for the future of this team especially since we have 2 second year players in our starting lineup.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Agreed..
    Masai has quickly created potentially the best "backup singers" in the NBA. Now we need the franchise player(s) to reach the main stage. How that's to be done is the miracle that few if any have the answer to.
    Well then hopefully a franchise type can see that.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast