Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Trade Deadline

We should have a thread for these things. Post all trade rumors, and draft projections here.
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 05-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.

vCash
    I think the guy the angels should target is Brandon McCarthy, his off season strength training has bulked him up and and upped his velocity on all his pitches so far this season.
    His Sinker velocity is up 2 full MPH and he has been a ground ball machine, plus he has upped his K/9 from a carer average of 6 per 9 to 8.5 per 9. He has just gotten unlucky with home runs. As soon as that normalizes his numbers will look a lot better.

He is on the last year of his contract, and because he has struggled a little early, I don't think it will cost much to get him. Besides, Arizona is 11.5 games back of first, while they have played a little better lately, any sustained loosing streak ends their season.

vCash
    Trade for Cliff Lee at the deadline if the Phillies are out of contention and they want to ship him??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    Trade for Cliff Lee at the deadline if the Phillies are out of contention and they want to ship him??
    If they finally do pull the trigger or trading him, they are going to want a lot back.

vCash
    In a month if the angels still aren't getting anything out of Freese, how do you guys feel about signing drew.

vCash
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

This is Mayo's mock draft, he has the Angels taking 1B/DH/OF Kyle Schawrber, I don't see that happening scince Schwarber really isn't much of an OF anyway, and the angels have a huge need for top level pitching.

vCash
    I dont see any way the Angels dont draft a starting pitcher in the 1st. I think Freese will do well enough to turn it around. His defense is legit and he was really starting to hit the ball before he got hurt. One thing i think needs to happen is finding out how to get Cron and Green in the lineup every day unless we use Green as a trade chip to get another arm for the pen.

vCash
    The Angels could stand not only to add to the back of the bullpen, but also the starting rotation, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (video link). Los Angeles looked to add Ian Kennedy last year, says Rosenthal, who opines that the club might be interested in dealing for a mid-level arm like Dillon Gee of the Mets. While payroll space is probably not much of an issue, the club does not have a deep set of prospects from which to deal.
    Gee really isn't much of an improvement over what we have now so I would likely pass.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Gee is better than what we have, but is the return worth it? Probably not. He would be a solid fifth starter but what would we have to give to get him? Santiago has good stuff, but the guy is kind of an idiot. He needs to put it together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsfan1984 View Post
    I dont see any way the Angels dont draft a starting pitcher in the 1st. I think Freese will do well enough to turn it around. His defense is legit and he was really starting to hit the ball before he got hurt. One thing i think needs to happen is finding out how to get Cron and Green in the lineup every day unless we use Green as a trade chip to get another arm for the pen.
    Freese isn't a bad defender, he can certainly play the position, but he won't be confused with Beltre anytime soon.

Me too, unless that Alex Mack guy falls, they need pitching, pitching, and more pitching. I have always liked Sean Newcomb, but I hear the Mets are kind of big on him, so who knows if he falls. Jeff Hoffman might fall because of his Tommy John surgery, he was once seen as the #2 pick in this draft, though the Blue Jays have picks 9,11 so they may take a chance on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin n Wangin View Post
    Gee is better than what we have, but is the return worth it? Probably not. He would be a solid fifth starter but what would we have to give to get him? Santiago has good stuff, but the guy is kind of an idiot. He needs to put it together.
    If it's someone like Grant Green I would be fine with that, Including Calhoun and Cowgill, there is plenty of OF depth. Though I would prefer seeing Green dealt for someone like McCarthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Freese isn't a bad defender, he can certainly play the position, but he won't be confused with Beltre anytime soon.

Me too, unless that Alex Mack guy falls, they need pitching, pitching, and more pitching. I have always liked Sean Newcomb, but I hear the Mets are kind of big on him, so who knows if he falls. Jeff Hoffman might fall because of his Tommy John surgery, he was once seen as the #2 pick in this draft, though the Blue Jays have picks 9,11 so they may take a chance on him.

If it's someone like Grant Green I would be fine with that, Including Calhoun and Cowgill, there is plenty of OF depth. Though I would prefer seeing Green dealt for someone like McCarthy.
    Grant greens glove can be shakey, but his bat is coming around nicely. He isnt your prototypical DH, but i would like to see him get more at bats in the DH role. I like Cron, I think hes going to be one hell of a hitter, i just think he needs a tad more polish. No sense in continuing to run Ibanez out there if hes just going to whiff at everything. Get Green the at bats he needs and be done with it. To be honest i wouldn't mind him hitting in the 2 hole with Trout leading off. something along the lines of...

Trout - CF
    Green - DH
    Pujols - 1B
    Hamilton - LF
    Kendrick - 2B
    Calhoun - RF
    Freese - 3B
    Conger - C
    Aybar - SS

vCash
    Yeah that's not bad, it's a tough situation, the angels need help in the rotation, and they have two pretty good 1B/DH candidates.

vCash
    Obtaining bullpen help in advance of the trade deadline is a top priority, GM Jerry Dipoto told Jim Bowden in an an appearance on Sirius XM MLB Network Radio (Twitter link).

In addition to indicating that a left-handed reliever is a definite need, Dipoto suggested that the Halos may be interested in adding a new 9th inning option as well. Incumbent closer Ernesto Frieri owns a 5.83 ERA on the year, though he has registered 11.0 K/9 against 2.1 BB/9, leading to mixed views from other metrics (5.00 FIP, 3.08 xFIP, 2.42 SIERA).

MAY 29: With the loss of southpaw Sean Burnett fresh on the heels of his return to the MLB roster, the Angels may explore the trade market for alternatives, according to a report from MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez (via Twitter). “If the chance at acquiring somebody is there, we’re certainly going to be open to the idea,” GM Jerry Dipoto said of the possibility of adding a southpaw via trade.

The need is exacerbated, Gonzalez notes, by the fact that the team’s lone current left-hander — Wade LeBlanc — “needs to be stretched out” as a starter, according to manager Mike Scioscia. Temporarily, at least, the club could give another chance to Nick Maronde, who has been hit hard at all levels this year, or go to one of its marginal minor league options: Buddy Boshers, Brandon Sisk, and Dustin Richardson. Alternatively, says Gonzalez, demoted starter Hector Santiago could be a hypothetical possibility, or the team could choose to lean on righties Michael Kohn and Ernesto Frieri, who have reverse platoon splits over their career.

Even if the Halos look internally at present, though, the club seems a good bet to look to add another left-handed pen piece over the summer. Looking ahead, Gonzalez notes that several arms could become available. He lists Antonio Bastardo of the Phillies, the recently-acquired Troy Patton of the Padres, and the Reds’ Sean Marshall as names to watch.
    I don't want to give up too much for a relief pitcher

vCash
    Have you seen Nick Maronde pitch this year? Wow this guy has been hit hard if he doesn't
    straighten himself out he is done.

We definitely need help in the bullpen.

vCash
    The Tigers, Pirates, Blue Jays and Angels are scouting the Phillies this week, Stark tweets. The Phillies are telling other teams around the league that this week could determine their status as buyer or sellers next month.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast