Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pistons legend Isiah Thomas poised to become minority owner

MAY 16, 2014 AT 1:00 AM
    VINCENT GOODWILL THE DETROIT NEWS 0 COMMENTS

Auburn Hills — Pistons legend Isiah Thomas is poised to become an investor into the franchise’s ownership group, according to multiple sources.

Thomas and team officials are in preliminary discussions to make Thomas a minority owner, but the exact percentage hasn’t been agreed upon. It would make Thomas one of a few African-Americans with a stake in an NBA team.

“Not a ceremonial piece, but a respectable piece,” was how a source with knowledge of the negotiations termed the potential deal.

The discussions began after Joe Dumars stepped down as the team’s president. Although Pistons owner Tom Gores targeted Stan Van Gundy to become the coach and president of basketball operations, he still wanted to partner with Thomas in some fashion.

Thomas has an indelible connection to the Detroit community, and Gores’ group isn’t averse to letting someone in, especially someone familiar with the local terrain.

The two became familiar during preparations for the Bad Boys reunion last month, and Gores expressed to Thomas he knew the former point guard wanted a seat of power — one Thomas hadn’t had since he was a part-owner of the Raptors.

When Gores told Thomas it was possible for him to invest in the franchise he helped build, he jumped at it. Thomas, 53, was slated to buy a piece of the team before his retirement in 1994, but when news leaked of the then-unprecedented move, he and late owner Bill Davidson had a public falling out.

Neither Gores nor officials from his Platinum Equity partners in attendance for Van Gundy’s introductory news conference Thursday would comment.

The deal would have to be approved by Platinum Equity’s partners, as well as the NBA.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0102/305160030
    $9.99

vCash
    Gores supplies the cash... Isiah slings the Detroit culture, brings the feels to the old timers, and probably will be more visible at games. I like it!

vCash
    I'm fine with that. As long as he stays away from personal work it shouldn't be a problem. Be a face of the franchise while Gores is away or doesn't feel like going to the game.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    I love what Tom is doing right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisLovechild View Post
    First Tier:
    Calvin Johnson
    AJ Green
    Julio Jones
    Brandon Marshall
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Dez Bryant
    Demaryius Thomas
    Michael Crabtree

vCash
    Yeah really impressed with Gores. Dude just wants to win and it is starting to show.
    Adopt A Piston: Brandon Jennings

PPG: 14
    APG: 4
    STL: 4

Times punched by a rapper:1

vCash
    Hard not to be impressed in the work of Gores. He is very passionate about making this a credible franchise again. I love Isiah!

NBA'S Next Most Dominant Big Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvryuQDtWA
    FIND ME ON TWITTER @pistons_talk

vCash
    It is a good idea but just don't let him make any player decisions.