Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cards option Garcia, call up Wong

So after Garcia has been rocking it, and gets a game winking hbp.

He gets sent down for a guy who couldn't have fixed the issues you wanted him to fix in the first place, and had been struggling for the last week.

What the hell is going on?

this has to be the most inconsistent messages I've ever seen to young players!

vCash
    I'm very confused? Are you referring to Wong not hitting? He's been hitting fantastically in AAA?

Sorry I can't figure out if your upset Wong is back or if your upset Wong is up and Garcia is down or if your upset Descalso is on roster over Garcia?

Because I would have sent Descalso down and brought up Wong. Wong should be starting at 2B again with Garcia taking Descalso's role

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    I'm very confused? Are you referring to Wong not hitting? He's been hitting fantastically in AAA?
    Not for the last week, he was near a .900 OPS, got down to a .750 two days ago....

EDIT: I now see he had some good games the last two days.

Sorry I can't figure out if your upset Wong is back or if your upset Wong is up and Garcia is down or if your upset Descalso is on roster over Garcia?
    I'm annoyed about the way this was handled from the start, and that Wong was ever sent down.

vCash
    Didn't Wong look pretty bad? I thought about him in fantasy early but he got sent down before I had a real use for him. Now I do have a use for him, will he get PT? I figured the Cards had settled on a shuffle at 2B for the season when he got sent down to get more outfielders PT.

vCash
    I would assume he gets playing time. The other 2B on the roster haven't done well. But who knows with how Matheny has managed the team

vCash
    What was his problem specifically that he was sent down to work on? I assume something with his swing, but anyone know specifics?

vCash
    His swing was becoming very long and he essentially started pressing a bit.

He was doing nothing but hitting weak ground balls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    His swing was becoming very long and he essentially started pressing a bit.

He was doing nothing but hitting weak ground balls
    Totally nailed it.
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Sounds like typical rookie struggles. Is he ideally an all-fields hitter, or is his swing long because he does intentionally try to pull? I want to know because I prefer the former for utility players in fantasy, and because it's more beneficial in the short-term for me. I know he's a good steal candidate too.

vCash
    Obviously it's a small sample size but his spray chart shows he's a decently balanced hitter that will get more hits to the right side, which is normal for a left handed hitter

Left: 3 hits

Center: 6 hits

Right: 7 hits

So in the small sample he favors from center to right field but does hit the ball the other way.

So I wouldn't say he would use the whole field regularly but he can get hits to LF and uses RF and CF not just a straight up pull hitter who's sending 90% of at balls to RF.

His whole spray chart also has a lot of outs all over the field.

But like I said small sample size so take it with a grain of salt. In the minor leagues he used both gaps really well

vCash
    i think him putting the ball in play could capitalize on his speed, but you need to be able to get some lift and penetration on your batted balls to keep the defense honest.

He looked like he was losing his mechanics on his swing, and maybe trying to do a little too much. I think hitting the reset button is going to do him a lot of good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Sounds like typical rookie struggles. Is he ideally an all-fields hitter, or is his swing long because he does intentionally try to pull? I want to know because I prefer the former for utility players in fantasy, and because it's more beneficial in the short-term for me. I know he's a good steal candidate too.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts...ype=battedball

vCash
    I don't care about small sample size spray charts for a rookie who is struggling. The only thing I really glean from that is that his bat is slow, judging from the lazy flies to the opposite field - but Skippy already told me that.

What I like to know is whether he is a guy that is always going to be late on hard-in stuff because of his wrists or approach, or is he a guy just into bad habits? Without seeing his swing much I wouldn't be able to tell, and I do better predicting future performance if I know what kind of player I'm dealing with.

Another question: I know he had pretty good patience in the Minors but a lot of things can belie that. So far, would you say he's demonstrated an ability to put together good ABs, even though his swing is off?

vCash
    I don't think he will be a guy who will have trouble with hard stuff when he is right. He overall has a pretty compact swing

And he was definitely taking quality at bats. He was spoiling pitches with 2 strikes and making the pitcher work. He was doing well in that department.

He was seeing 3.86 pitches per at bat which is about average. Maybe slightly above.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I don't care about small sample size spray charts for a rookie who is struggling. The only thing I really glean from that is that his bat is slow, judging from the lazy flies to the opposite field - but Skippy already told me that.

What I like to know is whether he is a guy that is always going to be late on hard-in stuff because of his wrists or approach, or is he a guy just into bad habits? Without seeing his swing much I wouldn't be able to tell, and I do better predicting future performance if I know what kind of player I'm dealing with.

Another question: I know he had pretty good patience in the Minors but a lot of things can belie that. So far, would you say he's demonstrated an ability to put together good ABs, even though his swing is off?
    I like to look at that stuff too, but i have a poor understanding of a lot of statistics. I leave those for better minds than mine.

I thought he had good hands though, he didn't seem to swing and miss a lot, he just started to make poor contact, but the contact was definitely there.

Similar to the matt carpenter situation I guess, MC made good contact, but getting him to drive the ball more lead to his phenomenal season last year. Not saying we'll see the same returns, but there isn't any reason to think Kolten Wong's struggles weren't fixable or that they were permanent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast