Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who will win in 7 Games?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winterfell

16 50.00%
  • Azkaban

14 43.75%
  • GMs Vote

2 6.25%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NBA All Time ReDraft (2) Winterfell vs (7) Azkaban

Hello Everyone. Welcome to the NBA All-time redraft playoffs. These will be a battle between two made up teams from our host of GMs in to see who reigns superiority over all of basketball. There is a slight twist in this All-time: each team has a starter from each decade. Please read the write-ups and vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series.

Winterfell
    PG: Tony Parker
    SG: Bruce Bowen
    SF: Bernard King
    PF: Dirk Nowitzki
    C: Patrick Ewing

6: Shane Battier
    7: Marques Johnson
    8: Vin Baker
    9: Derek Fisher
    10: Rick Mahorn
    11: Bill Sharman
    12: Louie Dampier

vs

Azkaban

G: Isiah Thomas - Kyrie Irving
    G: Eddie Jones - Dell Curry
    F: Paul Pierce - Tayshaun Prince - Billy Cunningham
    F: Amare Stoudemire - Elton Brand
    C: Bill Russell- Bill Cartwright - Jeff Ruland

Winterfell has Home Court advantage

Neither Team has submitted a write up*
    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    Sorry forgot to make the other one public
    Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

vCash
    Fokn idiot

vCash
    I had Azkaban ranked higher than anybody, while also feeling they match-up very well here. I'll take Azkaban.

vCash
    if this is the official thread, then here:

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    I think Winterfell will win this voting easily but this is a much better matchup than anyone would realize. Isiah would outplay Parker. Bowen is not as valuable because he's not guarding a quick athletic wing player. Stoudemire actually averaged almost 30ppg/13rpg on 55% in his only playoff matchup vs. Dirk (both in their primes). If people respect how good STAT was in his prime this could be a deep series. Plus, who do you trust in a big game? Bill Russell or Patrick Ewing? As much as it pains me to say it, I could see Ewing having some TERRIBLE like 6-19 type games. Azkaban remains the best Bill Russell team we've seen yet in a redraft. Nice job by both teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    i don't have the time to make a full write-up due to studying, but i'll float this by you guys:

Isiah Thomas is one of the greatest assist/scoring combo guards to ever play. People forget that this guy averaged 10+ assists a game 4 times in his career (one season he put up 14apg) while also posting ast%es above 40% three seasons (even lead the league once). His mid-range shooting ability coupled with Amare's pick&roll will be a dominating aspect.

That will be a focal point of Azkaban's offense. Think about this: Tony Parker and Dirk Nowitzki being forced to defend the pick & roll excessively. If they stick Patrick Ewing on the pick and roll, then that leaves Dirk trying to outrebound Bill Russell.

Paul Pierce provides a fantastic second ball-handler and third option to the team, helping space the floor (37.0% from three) along with Eddie Jones who is a career 37.3% shooter from deep. Bill Russell is arguably the greatest passing center of all time, leaving 3 great passers in the starting lineup with himself, Thomas, and Pierce.

Defensively, we simply have the greatest DPOY to ever play the game anchoring a defense with Eddie Jones covering the opposing team's best scorers (in this case King). Eddie Jones made 3 all-defensive teams in his tenure in the league.

My team has it all: passing, scoring, rebounding, defense, and shooting. We have championship galore: a total of 14 championships in the starting lineup, 5 MVPs, 2 Finals MVPs, all-defensive teams, and so forth. Azkaban should advance in a long series.

vCash
    I can agree that Azkaban matches up well with Winterfell, in a draft involving all the players who have ever played, having a number one scorer like Pierce or Zeke isn't very impressive. Especially considering Winterfell having Ewing, Dirk, and King. I just don't see an outcome where Winterfell loses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    if this is the official thread, then here:
    That first write-up sold me.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky recon View Post
    I can agree that Azkaban matches up well with Winterfell, in a draft involving all the players who have ever played, having a number one scorer like Pierce or Zeke isn't very impressive. Especially considering Winterfell having Ewing, Dirk, and King. I just don't see an outcome where Winterfell loses.
    Pierce and STAT (who crushed Dirk in their only h2h playoff match-up averaging 30ppg) were both good for an efficient 25ppg in their prime and Zeke has already proven he can run a championship offense. Plus Eddie Jones was a sharpshooter who average 18ppg in his peak. I don't think their offense would have much trouble scoring at all.

vCash
    How much, if all, was Zeke really better from a career standpoint over Parker? Not really at all if you ask me. Parker has been much more efficient, they both never were guys who improved their team's defense when on the floor. Neither of them were impressive rebounders.

AST/TOV Ratio(Career):
    Zeke: 2.57
    Parker: 2.40

When you take into the account how much more efficient Parker has been offensively, I think it's not a matchup that will dictate anything, even at the slightest.

Dirk would absolutely take Amar'e to school, and the Russell/Ewing battle would be great to watch, although you'd give that edge to the guy with 11 rings. The wing matchup Jones/Pierce vs. Bowen/King would be a battle as well, and it's really a matter of preference there. Personally I'd go King/Bowen because of the lethal strengths you have there. One scoring champ, and another all-time defender. I do like the balance and longevity of Pierce/Bowen though.

I don't like Irving as a backup point guard. You need roughly 10 minutes from him, you should've went with someone proven who can give Zeke rest. Not someone to be the offense generator. I prefer the talent and experience of Winterfell's bench in many ways, but not terribly.

I just can't overlook the Dirk/Amar'e matchup when everything else could be a dog fight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksorBust View Post
    That first write-up sold me.

Pierce and STAT (who crushed Dirk in their only h2h playoff match-up averaging 30ppg) were both good for an efficient 25ppg in their prime and Zeke has already proven he can run a championship offense. Plus Eddie Jones was a sharpshooter who average 18ppg in his peak. I don't think their offense would have much trouble scoring at all.
    The fact of the matter is almost everything you just stated was completely out of context.

Thomas being capable of running a championship offense in his own era is different than running an offense with players from all era, period. Eddie Jones has a career average of 14.8 points a game, he can hit open shots, but asking him to do anything more than that is grasping for straws.

Bringing inaccurate numbers from one series, out of context is what it is. Exactly what I just stated.

He scored 28.8 points.

Dirk did not guard Amar'e Stoudemire, and Amar'e sure as hell didn't guard Dirk. Amar'e was guarded by the worst starter on the Mavericks by a mile, ERICK DAMPIER. Amar'e didn't guard Dirk, and Dirk didn't guard Amar'e. Do your ****ing research. Dirk was guarded by Shawn Marion, one of the premier defenders in his time. I doubt Amar'e would have the same success against Ewing/Mahorn (both made all-defensive teams) versus ERICK DAMPIER AND ****ING SHAWN BRADLEY.

I think Paul Pierce and Isiah Thomas would have trouble keeping up offensively with Dirk Nowitzki and Bernard King, (and Patrick Ewing for that matter).

vCash
    Irving as a backup point guard who can space the floor for 10 minutes is fine.

Not to mention, as KoB already pointed out Amare's lone playoff matchup versus the Mavs and Dirk he was a beast. I don't see how you can say Dirk would absolutely take Amare to school without acknowledging that Amare would do exactly the same thing.

And ast/tov ratio isn't an indicator of much at all. A better metric to look at is their respective assist percentages. Tony Parker is a career 33.0ast% (career high is 40.4%) and his prime 3 years he posted a 38.4% rate. Isiah Thomas is a career 37.4ast% (career high is 47.9%) and his prime 3 years he posted a 43.5% rate.

Then conversely looking at their respective assist rates in the playoffs where it matters most:
    Parker is a career 28.1% whereas Isiah Thomas is a career 37.4%. Factor in Parker's 13.3% tov rate and Thomas' career playoff 14.5tov% and it's far and away clear who can run a potent offense better.

And you say that Isiah Thomas isn't much different from Parker, and that Thomas is a poor #1 option for a contending team. Ha, that's all i have to say. Isiah Thomas is a career 110 ORtg in the playoffs on a 26.2usg% whereas Parker is a far inferior 103 ORtg on a 27.9usg%.

Amare Stoudemire is actually going to be the main option offensively though, and in the playoffs during his prime years with Phoenix he posted 25.5ppg on a 29.0usg% and a 116 ORtg. Paul Pierce's 108 ORtg on a 24.8usg% is perfect as a third option offensively.

vCash
    Dirk did not guard Amar'e in that series. He took Shawn Bradley and Erick "erica" Dampier to town.

I'm sure he'd play at the same level with Ewing and Mahorn (sarcstic). I'd imagine Dirk would guard Russell anyway because he is not a threat offensively.
    Last edited by ricky recon; 05-14-2014 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    And by the way, Parker has a better player efficiency rating than Thomas for his career. So if you knew what ORtg was and how it applies, you'd realize that it's completely irrelevant comparing them to players on different teams nonetheless in different eras.

Beyond irrelevant. But it says offensive rating which sounds cool right? Learn what statistics are and how to apply them.

vCash
    The Dirk/amare argument goes both ways. Amare would have his way with Dirk guarding him as well.

vCash
    And by the way, Parker has a better player efficiency rating than Thomas for his career. So if you knew what ORtg was and how it applies, you'd realize that it's completely irrelevant comparing them to players on different teams nonetheless in different eras.

Beyond irrelevant. But it says offensive rating which sounds cool right? Learn what statistics are and how to apply them.
    And Isiah Thomas has a higher PER in the playoffs, SO COOL!!!! It's obvious that only metrics that dictate certain players being better than others are recognized by you. And yeah, all of these guys play in different eras. But you seem to be saying that Isiah Thomas can't play in today's game, whereas you don't acknowledge Parker being able to play in the 80s.

The era argument works both ways. Isiah Thomas performing better in the playoffs than in the regular season, and outperforming Tony Parker in practically every facet of the playoffs however only works in favor of Isiah Thomas.

vCash
    Dirk did not guard Amar'e in that series. He took Shawn Bradley and Erick "erica" Dampier to town.

I'm sure he'd play at the same level with Ewing and Mahorn (sarcstic). I'd imagine Dirk would guard Russell anyway because he is not a threat offensively.
    Putting Ewing on Amare simply brings the only rim-protector away from the basket allowing Russell to box out Dirk and leaving wide open lanes for Isiah Thomas.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast