Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

One 2014 Season Concern..

Has anyone else noticed that the NFC East's offenses all have tremendous passing weapons this season?

For a team that ranked dead last against the pass, we have to face:

Giants: Victor Cruz, Reuben Randle and Odell Beckham, Jr. (Mario Manningham, too but we'll see)

Redskins: Pierre Garcon, Desean Jackson, Santana Moss, Jordan Reed and Andre Roberts

Cowboys: Dez Bryant and Jason Witten (obviously the least of my worries here)

Additionally, we have to face San Fran, Green Bay, and Indianapolis who are all pass threatening teams.

Does this raise a concern to anyone??? Or does everyone believe the Jenkins addition with whoever else excels during training camp will be efficient.. Thoughts??

vCash
    Eagles improved the secondary and pass rush so they won't be as bad as they were last year imo. It isn't realistic to think they will be top 5 either.. I think they will be around the middle of the pack which might be good enough cuz I really feel like this offense will be better next year..yes even without desean. Top 3 offense and 15 ranked defense will make it to playoffs easy

Your baby can't do this

vCash
    I don't think the Giants are much of a threat, they haven't done much to improve their line.
    Dallas will be 8-8... maybe they pull a rabbit out of their hat and split with the Eagles.
    Washington's offense is interesting, but their defense is a mess and they're still Washington. The Birds will probably split with them at worst.

There are some out of division games that are concerning. Indy, GB, the NFC West. SF is the best offense they'll face out of the West. Indy & GB are stout.

Jenkins provides a modest upgrade at safety, Carroll adds depth and future potential at corner, and any contribution to the secondary from this draft class seems like it would be a bonus. Overall Eagles secondary would benefit most from a stronger pass rush. Marcus Smith better be good and learn fast, because they did nothing to improve the pass rush in free agency.

Regardless I think the goal is to win shootouts, while patiently building a defense. Except SF, none of the teams you listed has a terribly frightening defense.

vCash
    And If we can get a competent kicker .... the defense will have much better field position (turning what was FGs into punts)
    Don't sleep on brayman The LB they signed for STs...He could be a gold star find for next yr
    Last edited by xstronghandx; 05-13-2014 at 03:28 PM.

vCash
    The defenses.. maybe not so much.. However, I think the Giants did a quietly phenomenal job this offseason between drafts and free agency.

The 'Skins will be interesting.. The last time RG3 played without his season after a season with it on, he won the Heisman. Now, he's going to be in Jay Gruden's offensive system with Desean Jackson and Automatic Pierre Garcon.. I think that's scary.

I think you're right about quietly building a defense and attempting to win shoot outs. However, I'm not a fan of it. Let's hope Marcus Smith will be the next Dumervil or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shauneazy View Post
    I think you're right about quietly building a defense and attempting to win shoot outs. However, I'm not a fan of it. Let's hope Marcus Smith will be the next Dumervil or something.
    I'm not a fan of it at all! To their credit they have focused significant attention to the defense the last two offseasons.

I wasn't a fan of the Smith pick, I'm still not. Dennard at 22 was my preference, but thank God they didn't draft a QB (I was luke warm on the WRs available at 22). But Smith's an Eagle now, I hope he's more William Thomas (#51) than Brandon Graham!

Funny thing about the Giants (don't know if I said it here or with my friends), even though I'm not remotely impressed by them, it's never wise to count them out.

vCash
    Has anyone else noticed that the NFC East's offenses all have tremendous passing weapons this season?

For a team that ranked dead last against the pass, we have to face:

Giants: Victor Cruz, Reuben Randle and Odell Beckham, Jr. (Mario Manningham, too but we'll see)

Redskins: Pierre Garcon, Desean Jackson, Santana Moss, Jordan Reed and Andre Roberts

Cowboys: Dez Bryant and Jason Witten (obviously the least of my worries here)

Additionally, we have to face San Fran, Green Bay, and Indianapolis who are all pass threatening teams.

Does this raise a concern to anyone??? Or does everyone believe the Jenkins addition with whoever else excels during training camp will be efficient.. Thoughts??

Well your logic is flawed here for a few reasons:

The Eagles pass defense was NOT the worst in the NFL last season. Yes they gave up more yards per game than anyone else last year, but lets break it down a little farther:

- Ranked 31st opponents pass yards per game 287.4.
    - Ranked 32nd opponents pass attempts per game 41.2. Only Minnesota at 40.5 came even close to that.
    - Ranked T-20th opponents yards per pass attempt 7.0. Washington was last at 7.6 and Dallas 29th at 7.4.
    - T-23rd opponents yards per pass completion at 11.4. Dallas at 11.4 and Washington 27th at 11.6.
    - 14th opponent avg team passer rating at 83.6. Dallas 29th at 96.0 and Washington 30th at 96.1.
    - 25th opponents passing plays percentage at 60.72.
    - 31st in team sack percentage at 5.27%
    - TIED 18TH OPPONENTS YARDS PER PLAY.
    - 32nd in time of possession.
    - 32nd opponent time of possession percentage.

Now what does all of this mean?

- Eagles defense was on the field more than any other defense in the NFL. No shocker there.
    - Eagles defense saw more pass plays per game than any other team in the NFL
    - Opponents game plan clearly was to throw the ball on the Eagles passed on the percentage of pass plays to run plays they attempted per game.
    - Eagles were one of the least efficient teams in the NFL at sacking the QB.
    - Eagles were actually around the middle of the pack in pass defense efficiency. The Cowboys and Redskins ranked lower in many categories.
    - Eagles were susceptible to the big plays.

How did the Eagles rectify the situation?

- Well they went out and got the best pass rusher that was available with their first pick.
    - Added a ton of speed and depth in the secondary. Eagles will match up man to man in the slot/middle of the field very well with Boykin, Watkins, and Jenkins. Coincidentally that is where many of those receivers you listed will do most of their damage.

I'd be more worried if I were a Cowboys or a Redskins fan trying to match up against the Eagles pass defense because their pass defense is actually far worse and did little to change that in the off season. The Giants would be the team I'm most worried about in the division and that is entirely dependent on their ability to rectify their running game from last year.

vCash
    this is the year we will find out what everyone on this team is made of. Now the book is at least somewhat out on Kelly and Foles and the schedule is 100x more difficult than last years. We will certainly find out if we are for real or not with this schedule. i still wish we could have grabbed Clinton-Dix i would feel pretty good with him and Jenkins back there but hopefully Allen cant improve on his solid season.

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 8 Yards: 142 TD: 2

vCash
    Yea.. I'm just concerned on a team that runs a fast-paced offense, as the Eagles do (or at least do a majority of the time), that'll put the defense out on the field a lot. Will the defense who, in my opinion, isn't much different asides from Jenkins and whoever stands out at camp, stand their ground against the other offenses as they've improved?

I'm sorry, but we had a field day with Desean against defenses.. are we suppose to contain him now? What about Dez? Victor? The list can go on and on.. and you can bring up the idea that we score a lot too.. but I'm just suspect about how this secondary can stop these improved offenses.

A healthy RG3 is scary.. as is a Giants offense with a line that actually blocks for him.

I agree with 2 one 5 in saying that this will be the year to see if we're as good as we think we are. Did we make the right moves? Was it smart to trade the 22nd to Cleveland when Dee Ford (if they wanted to go pass rush) was available?

I'm just saying I think unless these players turn out to be better than they seem (Carroll and Watkins seem to be the ones to watch in the secondary), I think we'll have trouble stopping offenses just like last year.

vCash
    I think people are forgetting too much that last year we had a completely new coaching staff in place and switched to a 3-4 D, we should be miles better this season just from the transition being a year removed. On top of that we had one of the youngest D's out there. Expect HUGE improvements by the DL (who usually figure out systems year 2) and across the board on defense. Add in Malcolm Jenkins (who I think will be a huge signing for us) and Nolan Carrol and hopefully a better pass rush and I am a lot less concerned about our D compared to last year. I think its ~20th in the league yardage wise and ~12th-15th weighted per play

vCash
    Good post Casper....bust out those numbers I was going to do something similar. Plus run the numbers from the first 8 and the last 8 games....and look at the opponents we faced too.....huge difference and our defense stepped up more.

We improved this year and that is all we can ask for. We're not going to get pro bowlers at every position. I'd like to see Kendricks step up a tad more vocally this year and see him CLAIM this defense as HIS defense.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Just because they went out and got the best pass rusher that was available when they picked means jack ****. He was what the 4th or 5th best pass rusher in the draft? Whoop di doo, color me impressed.

Fact of the matter is, we literally have the same defense back from last year except with more depth at CB and a huge upgrade at safety. But its not even like we signed the best safety available. If we signed Byrd, then that's a different story but we signed the 3rd or 4th best safety on the market whos coming of a horrible year.

Now Billy Davis has had an amazing track record the past few years, so you can make arguments on trusting in him and he did make good adjustments during the year last year.

If our players adapt and Marcus Smith becomes Clay Matthews lite then we'll be in great shape.
    If our players outcomes are similar to last year and pass rush remains inconsistent then were going to be in for a lot of frustrations as fans.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    I understand that we're not going to get pro bowlers at every position.. but we had a problem, a HUGE problem IMO, at safety that we didn't address.

I would feel a lot better had we swpaped with GB for Ha Ha, or drafted Dennard or Roby or someone.. hell, even if we kept our 22nd pick and got Dee Ford.

But we didn't and I agree - there's a lot riding on Marcus Smith to make an immediate impact but as of now, I'm expecting a Brandon Graham-like prospect and we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I just wouldn't be surprised if you see teams passing for three touchdowns and 300 yards against us if our defense looks the same as last year.

vCash
    The core of the defense has room to improve after last season given their age and transition to a new system. Fletcher Cox, Bennie Logan, Cedric Thornton, Mychal Kendricks, and even Earl Wolff. Very young players with another year of the system and some offseason training could help the defense immensely. We didn't go out and make any splash moves per say, but filled out the roster with some much needed quality depth.

vCash
    I understand that we're not going to get pro bowlers at every position.. but we had a problem, a HUGE problem IMO, at safety that we didn't address.

I would feel a lot better had we swpaped with GB for Ha Ha, or drafted Dennard or Roby or someone.. hell, even if we kept our 22nd pick and got Dee Ford.

But we didn't and I agree - there's a lot riding on Marcus Smith to make an immediate impact but as of now, I'm expecting a Brandon Graham-like prospect and we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I just wouldn't be surprised if you see teams passing for three touchdowns and 300 yards against us if our defense looks the same as last year.

Yeah you say it's safety play. I say it's lack of pass rusher play,......how many sacks did we have ALL SEASON last year I mean Cole still managed 8 sacks and we have I think 36/37 as a team but dude omg that horrible. We were 10 sacks away from being in the top 7 but 5 sacks AWAY for bottom 3. Ewwww. Qb pressure....I don't care who or what qb you are...ever TEBOW can have TIME to find an open man on our lack of pressure.....Vinny Curry whom I love played very very limited time last year. But check this,,,.,,aside from Trent Cole, Vinny was our 2nd highest sack leader on our team with 4. That pathetic........

Our secondary can't be asked to stay on their coverage like glue for more then 6 seconds....

Blame our pressure not our secondary.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast