Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Revisiting the Alex Smith trade

Fourteen months ago, the San Francisco 49ers traded quarterback Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs for two draft picks. With the end of the 2014 NFL Draft, the names on the trade scorecard can be penciled in.

As The MMQB.com's Peter King explained Monday, wheeling-and-dealing 49ers general manager Trent Baalke turned those two picks -- two second-rounders -- into five players:

Tank Carradine, DE (second round, 2013)
    Corey Lemonier, LB (third round, 2013)
    Carlos Hyde, RB (second round, 2014)
    Chris Borland, LB (third round, 2014)
    Stevie Johnson, WR (trade for 2015 fourth-round pick)

Baalke traded the two picks a total of five times in the past two years, including obtaining a 2015 fourth-round pick to replace the one given up in the Johnson trade, which is why the veteran is on this list.

Carradine missed last season with an ACL tear. Lemonier played quality minutes in 2013 when Aldon Smith was out of the lineup.

Hyde could be a future replacement for Frank Gore. Borland has a nose for the football and could play a big role with NaVorro Bowman coming off a knee injury.

Baalke made out pretty well, trading a player the organization decided was a backup quarterback. However, the GM wasn't going to gloat about the haul.

"Mixed emotions,'' he told King about how the trade worked out. "I have so much respect for Alex Smith and his family, and great regard for him as a player. He's the epitome of a good man and teammate and a good player. I know the Kansas City Chiefs staff, and they are thrilled to have him. We'll see how it works out for us. It's still early."

It's early in that Baalke still has to pay the young quarterback he chose over Smith.
    Link

They turned him into 5 players. Looking good so far.
    Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko 1h

#Patriots are 9-2 and their second highest paid player this season is Aaron Hernandez. Let that sink in.

vCash
    Great job on paper, hard to argue against the results even if only 2 of those guys pan out... but right or wrong (at least in the immediate future), the main way this will be judged by the casual NFL fan will be what Kaepernick does.

If he stinks it up and costs the 49ers a Super Bowl, no one will remember the 5 players they wound up getting for Alex Smith.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    Link

They turned him into 5 players. Looking good so far.
    That looks great on paper but none of those players have proven a damn thing for SF on the field yet. Carradine, Hyde, and Borland haven't even played a single NFL snap, Stevie Johnson hasn't played a snap for SF, and Lemonier (as far as I know) was a part time player last season with upside.

Time will tell...let's wait a bit.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    Those trying to poo poo the article are insane. If I told you last year the Bills were offering Stevie Johnson for Alex Smith, that alone might be enough to get the deal done. Add in Lemonier who looked like a stud in limited duties, Hyde, the best RB prospect by most GM's in all of college football, and Carradine and Borland, two defensive players both capable of making an impact on the team. Your telling me that it wasn't absolute magic what Baalke did ?

Now if Smith outplayed Kaepernick by a wide margin last year then I'd say meh. But the fact of the matter is the two QB's had very similar years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TC119 View Post
    Great job on paper, hard to argue against the results even if only 2 of those guys pan out... but right or wrong (at least in the immediate future), the main way this will be judged by the casual NFL fan will be what Kaepernick does.

If he stinks it up and costs the 49ers a Super Bowl, no one will remember the 5 players they wound up getting for Alex Smith.
    How soon we forget that Alex Smith almost single handedly cost the 49ers a trip to the Super Bowl by completing one pass to a WR in the NFC Championship game just a few years ago. Luckily Kyle Williams muffed punts took the heat off of Smith or we'd be calling him a goat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    That looks great on paper but none of those players have proven a damn thing for SF on the field yet. Carradine, Hyde, and Borland haven't even played a single NFL snap, Stevie Johnson hasn't played a snap for SF, and Lemonier (as far as I know) was a part time player last season with upside.

LOL this dude is serious.

But lets be real, if you think a QB is going to be the guy. These days in the NFL you have to go get that guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    How soon we forget that Alex Smith almost single handedly cost the 49ers a trip to the Super Bowl by completing one pass to a WR in the NFC Championship game just a few years ago. Luckily Kyle Williams muffed punts took the heat off of Smith or we'd be calling him a goat.
    That's weird, he threw 2 touchdown passes to VD in that game. If it weren't for Kyle Williams 49ers are almost a lock to win that game...
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    The Chiefs were stupid to give up two 2nd rounders in the first place, especially when one of those was basically a 1st (33rd overall). I feel like a 3rd should've gotten it done, but a 2nd definitely should've been a done deal. I don't hate on Smith as much as others, but why would you give up #33 (knowing they had #33 at that point) plus a future 2nd? They could've added a couple of receivers and found someone else to throw check-downs.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    Those trying to poo poo the article are insane. If I told you last year the Bills were offering Stevie Johnson for Alex Smith, that alone might be enough to get the deal done. Add in Lemonier who looked like a stud in limited duties, Hyde, the best RB prospect by most GM's in all of college football, and Carradine and Borland, two defensive players both capable of making an impact on the team. Your telling me that it wasn't absolute magic what Baalke did ?

Now if Smith outplayed Kaepernick by a wide margin last year then I'd say meh. But the fact of the matter is the two QB's had very similar years.
    Lemonier is a speed rusher who had a sack last year against the Cards great offense. I like his burst, but until he's showing he is an elite pass rusher, he was a rookie who had a limited year.

No it isn't "magic" what Baalke did. They could have gotten DeSean Jackson with that pick as well.

We will see in 5-10 years what this looks like. Chargers look like they dominated the Giants when they gave up Eli. They had the QB that was playing MUCH better, the NFL's sack leader, premier pass rusher, and the all-pro most accurate kicker ever.

Then a few years later came the post-seasons. The kicker was awful, the QB struggled, the pass rusher had a bum knee and took roids, and the other QB they passed up won two Superbowl MVP's.

Like TC119 said... it is awesome right now. You don't have production yet, but promise. That's the off-season.

There was a team that drafted an elite young QB and traded their backup. They got a speed pass rusher with their 2nd round pick who returned a fumble for a TD his rookie year in limited action. They used their 4th on a receiver who had 1000 yards and 9 scores in his 2nd year. The QB they traded went on to be a backup for another team.

When Joe Montana went down though, Steve Young stepped in and excelled and Vinny Testaverde struggled in Tampa, and can you name the guys the Bucs got for Young, even though they looked to be winning that trade for a backup who had cost their team?

Not calling Smith on that level, but the Bucs thought they had won that deal pretty easily because of the new talent they got for a backup QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    why would you give up #33 (knowing they had #33 at that point) plus a future 2nd? They could've added a couple of receivers and found someone else to throw check-downs.
    Like having brought in Kevin Kolb to reunite with Andy? Yeah that worked well, on IR before the season even started.

Or Matt Moore, he was a top one available. Didn't he have 2 picks in just 6 attempts last year?

Ryan Fitzpatrick.. .oh the fumbles...

Jason Campbell?? wait.. No

Tarvaris Jackson? Drew Stanton?

Really Matt Cassel was one of the top available options out there and they were looking to upgrade from that.

I guess they could have kept the pick and drafted Geno Smith....

I can't blame them for going with an established solid QB, he was far and away better than anything available. They had a talented team without a QB the year before and couldn't win at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post

That's why I said so far. He was basically expendable to them so if any of them produce I call it a success. Those are some talented players, on paper.
    Mike Loyko @NEPD_Loyko 1h

#Patriots are 9-2 and their second highest paid player this season is Aaron Hernandez. Let that sink in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The Chiefs were stupid to give up two 2nd rounders in the first place, especially when one of those was basically a 1st (33rd overall). I feel like a 3rd should've gotten it done, but a 2nd definitely should've been a done deal. I don't hate on Smith as much as others, but why would you give up #33 (knowing they had #33 at that point) plus a future 2nd? They could've added a couple of receivers and found someone else to throw check-downs.
    We had some of the worst QB play ever the season before. The trade worked out for both teams no one really won. If it weren't for absolute horrible luck with injuries and awful safety play we win a playoff game one year out from the chiefs worst season as an organization. Smith is not a franchise QB, but he is a good stop gap and can hopefully groom Murray

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash

Exclamation

Been bashing Alex Smith for years...The bashing stops now. How can you blame him for losing the NFC championship game and he didn't throw any picks unlike Keapernic the last two seasonss

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    smith helped get the cheifs back to the playoffs, so regardless they win here. this looks like it has the potential to be one fo those trades that work out great for both teams
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Stevie was traded for a conditional pick, so he may not be a part of this if it switches to the 49ers 3rd round pick in 2016.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast