Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    830
    vCash
    1500

    So what did Bills nation think of the draft.

    I will admit, I was not that impressed. My thinking is, if we would have just drafted a player at number 9, would Watkins out perform that player so much, that losing next years number 1 was worth it?

    Our 2nd round pick has arthritic knees. All the experts were shocked at our 3rd round pick, claiming he would have still been on the boards in the 5th and 6th round. Then we draft a guy who has well known marijuana problems. This guy is so messed up he even tested positive at the combine, which is the most important day in these rookies life.

    Our GM wants us to believe that we are going for the playoffs, but if this was the case, wouldn't he have franchised Bird. Not only does he not do that and we lose our best safety, he then pretty much ignores that need in the draft.

    I am worried about Manual. He now has three injuries to his knee in one year. As we all know, knees do not get better, they get worse. If he struggles to stay on the field this year, losing next years number one pick can be crucial. We will not have the luxury to draft a QB. And lets face it, if Manual struggles, we might have given up a top 5 pick and if so, would Watkins truly be worth it over the players we could have simply drafted at number 9.

    I hope these gambles pay off.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,673
    vCash
    1500
    I thought it was a strong draft. I could not care less what Kiper says about our draft or what grade he gave it. He knows about as much as the average fan. It's funny to see him get visibly upset when a team goes against his advice or his list of best available. He's hyped so many kids that never did a thing. According to Kiper we reached on Kiko Alonso last year. But enough about him, here are my thoughts:

    1. Sammy Watkins: Love the trade. Love the pick. The best way that I've heard it put is -- Win now. Worry later. I see a lot of Larry Fitzgerald in Watkins. He's reliable, low maintenance, and so far ahead of the curve coming out of the draft that he should make an instant impact. He doesn't have the size that Fitzgerald has, but his run after the catch ability is incredible and I would not be surprised if he doesn't prove to be one of the very best in the league in that regard. This is a true #1 WR. Stevie Johnson was not. Lee Evans was not. Paired with Woods, our WR duo can be a very dangerous one for a long, long time. Not having the 1st next year hurts, but given Whaley's aggressiveness this year, I would not be surprised to see him find a way to sneak into the late 1st next year. It was a bold move, and I've been calling for the team to make a bold move for years. I was thrilled with the pick and I can't wait to see Watkins on the field. He's a game changer.

    2. Cyrus Kouandjio: This guy had 1st round potential, dropped a bit due to knee injuries, but he's got size, nastiness, and he's a huge upgrade at RT. Between Glenn and Kouandjio, we should have our bookends for a long time. Good value pick.

    3. Preston Brown: He played in all situations at Louisville and he's backing up a revamped LB corp. Depth is important and we've added a lot this off-season, especially at LB. He's depth, good depth, and we needed it badly.

    4. Ross Cockrell: I like this kid. He's got intangibles in spades. I like his size and his ball skills. We've not had great luck with corners in the mid-rounds when we thought we found some gems. I like this kid to finally break that spell. I think he'll be able to contribute rather quickly. And, once again, depth at a position where it was badly needed.

    5. Cyril Richardson: Is anyone else shocked that he fell this far? This could end up being the best value pick in the draft for us. I really have some hope for this kid. Big, snow plow of a OG. Really, really hoping this kid pans out. I expected him to go higher.

    6. Randell Johnson: Interesting pick. Could end up being valuable on special teams. Could end up being valuable OLB depth. Could end up being nothing. I really don't know what to expect here. I admittedly know very little about Johnson.

    7. Seantrel Henderson: Another OT who could end up being a huge value pick. Also surprised that he fell this far.

    Overall, I really like this draft. Add in Bryce Brown as RB depth and we've really improved both the talent and depth across the entire roster. My one big concern, of course, is Manuel and his ability to stay on the field. I'd have loved to pluck a guy like Aaron Murray out of this draft. If you look over the roster, I think our biggest area of weakness as far as depth and talent is at QB. If Manuel goes down, we're screwed. If Manuel can't be consistent and take another step in development, we're screwed. This season hinges on Manuel, and I don't like that.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    830
    vCash
    1500
    That's pretty much my main point. The future of this team is based on how well Manuel performs this year. If he struggles, our record may be deserving of a top 5 pick. Without that pick, we cannot draft a QB, leaving Watkins on a team without a QB who could throw the ball down field.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    That's pretty much my main point. The future of this team is based on how well Manuel performs this year. If he struggles, our record may be deserving of a top 5 pick. Without that pick, we cannot draft a QB, leaving Watkins on a team without a QB who could throw the ball down field.
    Disagree there. One QB went in the top 5 this year. All the armchair draft gurus were making the most ridiculous statements that four QBs would go before the Bills selection. I actually offered a wager of $1,000 that two or less QBs would go before 9, to which the other guy initially accepted, but didn't follow through on when I proposed that we iron out the details with a trusted third party. A QB could drop to the early 2nd or even to a point in the late 1st that would allow us to jump in and get him if we were so inclined to do so. But even if Manuel bombs this year, I'm not sure we use next year's 1st on a QB if we still had it.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    4,261
    vCash
    1500
    I honestly don't know what to think of the draft. While Watkins seems like a huge talent... It was a steep price to pay. There's plenty of teams out there with "Game Changers" at the WR position that don't make the playoffs. There's several teams that you can look at that don't make the playoffs with great receivers.

    The fact is, it comes down to the QB. Can EJ take a huge step forward? I don't know. If he doesn't, we don't have a first next year to look for the next QB. I hope EJ is the man, but I wasn't impressed last year. We won 6 games. Watkins is supposed to change that? Maybe, but it's tough. There were some good players there at 9. Now we have no pick in round one next year and it could be another high pick(6-12). Like I said, a lot to give up.

    Also, I'm not a fan of the SJ trade. We got no value back. Sorry, but a 4th doesn't excite me. Neither does a 3rd. Especially since it'll likely be late in the round. It's like we traded SJ for Brown. Not really a fair trade I don't think. Regardless of what people say, SJ is a pretty good player.

    Only time will tell, but the main thing is that EJ needs to show some big improvement.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by marcre View Post
    I honestly don't know what to think of the draft. While Watkins seems like a huge talent... It was a steep price to pay. There's plenty of teams out there with "Game Changers" at the WR position that don't make the playoffs. There's several teams that you can look at that don't make the playoffs with great receivers.

    The fact is, it comes down to the QB. Can EJ take a huge step forward? I don't know. If he doesn't, we don't have a first next year to look for the next QB. I hope EJ is the man, but I wasn't impressed last year. We won 6 games. Watkins is supposed to change that? Maybe, but it's tough. There were some good players there at 9. Now we have no pick in round one next year and it could be another high pick(6-12). Like I said, a lot to give up.

    Also, I'm not a fan of the SJ trade. We got no value back. Sorry, but a 4th doesn't excite me. Neither does a 3rd. Especially since it'll likely be late in the round. It's like we traded SJ for Brown. Not really a fair trade I don't think. Regardless of what people say, SJ is a pretty good player.

    Only time will tell, but the main thing is that EJ needs to show some big improvement.
    Like I said, even if we had that 1st, I doubt we'd be going QB with it anyway. Regardless of what Manuel does this year, he won't be on that short of a leash.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    830
    vCash
    1500
    Me personally, could care less about what the experts say, but as a longtime Buffalo football fan, I think it is safer to assume the Bills made the wrong choice, rather than the right choice. This has been a very bad team for a long long time. Manuel was a reach last year and I just don't see Watkins, as good as he is, being worth it.

    What it all comes down to is this. We could have stayed at 9 and picked Ebron, or that receiver out of LSU. At the end of the year, their stats on this team will not be that much less than what Watkins will get us. People will see, that if this team has a bad year and gives up a top 5 pick, how ridiculous of a trade this was.

    Plus I am not happy with cripple who missed games in college because of his Arthritic knees. Arthritis is a long debilitating disease that only gets worse and never goes away. Then we get the Henderson the drug addict, who while at the scouting combine tells people his previous two failed tests were mistakes, then tests positive again and it was proven he was smoking weed at the scouting combine.

    And if Manuel struggles this year and we get a top 5 pick, As long as the QB's next year are like Manzel and Bridgewater, we would definetly use our first round pick on a QB.
    Last edited by sabres11; 05-13-2014 at 08:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Me personally, could care less about what the experts say, but as a longtime Buffalo football fan, I think it is safer to assume the Bills made the wrong choice, rather than the right choice. This has been a very bad team for a long long time. Manuel was a reach last year and I just don't see Watkins, as good as he is, being worth it.

    What it all comes down to is this. We could have stayed at 9 and picked Ebron, or that receiver out of LSU. At the end of the year, their stats on this team will not be that much less than what Watkins will get us. People will see, that if this team has a bad year and gives up a top 5 pick, how ridiculous of a trade this was.

    Plus I am not happy with cripple who missed games in college because of his Arthritic knees. Arthritis is a long debilitating disease that only gets worse and never goes away. Then we get the Henderson the drug addict, who while at the scouting combine tells people his previous two failed tests were mistakes, then tests positive again and it was proven he was smoking weed at the scouting combine.

    And if Manuel struggles this year and we get a top 5 pick, As long as the QB's next year are like Manzel and Bridgewater, we would definetly use our first round pick on a QB.
    What happens if Watkins becomes a top 5 receiver?

    Manziel is a very talented QB. I predicted Bridgewater's slide because I think he's overhyped and got exposed before the draft, but I see a quality QB in Manziel. A lot of scouts had Derek Carr ahead of both, and he went after both. Given the upgrades this team has made on the defensive side of the ball, though, even if Manuel doesn't progress, that pick is not going to be a top 5 pick.

    Also, you say the Bills made the wrong decision, but this decision was very un-Bills like, so that would suggest the opposite outcome.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,284
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Me personally, could care less about what the experts say, but as a longtime Buffalo football fan, I think it is safer to assume the Bills made the wrong choice, rather than the right choice. This has been a very bad team for a long long time. Manuel was a reach last year and I just don't see Watkins, as good as he is, being worth it.

    What it all comes down to is this. We could have stayed at 9 and picked Ebron, or that receiver out of LSU. At the end of the year, their stats on this team will not be that much less than what Watkins will get us. People will see, that if this team has a bad year and gives up a top 5 pick, how ridiculous of a trade this was.

    Plus I am not happy with cripple who missed games in college because of his Arthritic knees. Arthritis is a long debilitating disease that only gets worse and never goes away. Then we get the Henderson the drug addict, who while at the scouting combine tells people his previous two failed tests were mistakes, then tests positive again and it was proven he was smoking weed at the scouting combine.

    And if Manuel struggles this year and we get a top 5 pick, As long as the QB's next year are like Manzel and Bridgewater, we would definetly use our first round pick on a QB.
    You need to relax with the top 5 pick stuff...Dareus has been the only time the Bills have picked in the top 5 in over a decade. Yes, the Bills haven't made the playoffs...but at the same time they've never been bad enough, outside the one season when they drafted Dareus, to be in a position to draft whoever was thought to be an elite player in the draft. That is one reason why I get this trade. The Bills are consistently mediocre...bad enough to not really make a run at the playoffs, but never bad enough to get a top 5, 6 or even 7 pick.

    As far as Koundjio goes, Dr. James Andrews says teams have nothing to worry about and so do the Bills medical staff...I'll take their word. I'm not a doctor and Dr. Andrews has been treating him since he's been at Alabama and he's the doctor that the top athletes across multiple sports choose to go to.

    As far as my overall opinion on the draft....my only complaint is the trade and Preston Brown, which at the same time, I don't know much about. There is absolutely nothing else possible to complain about and even with the trade...you cannot complain about the player. The Bills got a great player in Watkins, and one of the safer more sure picks in the draft. 14 years of losing, something has to give.

    I've always complained about how conservative they are. To me, that was one of the main reasons they are in this playoff drought. Players like Stevie epitomize the type of players this team usually has. Good, decent, even pretty good a times...but rarely do they ever have a great player. I'm not going to complain now that they are finally being aggressive and going for it, whether it works out or not. After that long, a different approach was needed.

    Kiko, Woods, Goodwin, Robey, Watkins, Kouandjio, Richardson and maybe EJ...that is an impressive haul in draft picks for a span of 2 years. That is better than the Bills have done since the 80's and that's the type of haul that eventually leads to winning.
    Last edited by smood999; 05-13-2014 at 06:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,284
    vCash
    1500
    Another thing, this team has been 6-10 for three straight seasons.

    Additions:

    Spikes, Graham, Mike Williams, Chris Williams, Watkins, Kouandjio

    Subtractions:

    Stevie, Byrd

    Maturation:

    EJ, Woods, Kiko, Goodwin, Robey

    Recovered from injury:

    Spiller, Moeaki, Gilmore

    Also, it's not far fetched to think that Bryce Brown may be an upgrade to Fred Jackson (34).

    Not saying it'll happen, but there has to be some type of improvement there on a 6-10 season...
    Last edited by smood999; 05-13-2014 at 06:36 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,284
    vCash
    1500
    Bryce Brown is full of untapped potential...couldn't stay out of trouble in college and ended up behind McCoy in Philly. But, he played well whenever McCoy was out and he is one more player the Bills have (Spiller, Watkins) that can take it to the house whenever they touch the ball.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,364
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I thought it was a strong draft. I could not care less what Kiper says about our draft or what grade he gave it. He knows about as much as the average fan. It's funny to see him get visibly upset when a team goes against his advice or his list of best available. He's hyped so many kids that never did a thing. According to Kiper we reached on Kiko Alonso last year. But enough about him, here are my thoughts:

    1. Sammy Watkins: Love the trade. Love the pick. The best way that I've heard it put is -- Win now. Worry later. I see a lot of Larry Fitzgerald in Watkins. He's reliable, low maintenance, and so far ahead of the curve coming out of the draft that he should make an instant impact. He doesn't have the size that Fitzgerald has, but his run after the catch ability is incredible and I would not be surprised if he doesn't prove to be one of the very best in the league in that regard. This is a true #1 WR. Stevie Johnson was not. Lee Evans was not. Paired with Woods, our WR duo can be a very dangerous one for a long, long time. Not having the 1st next year hurts, but given Whaley's aggressiveness this year, I would not be surprised to see him find a way to sneak into the late 1st next year. It was a bold move, and I've been calling for the team to make a bold move for years. I was thrilled with the pick and I can't wait to see Watkins on the field. He's a game changer.

    2. Cyrus Kouandjio: This guy had 1st round potential, dropped a bit due to knee injuries, but he's got size, nastiness, and he's a huge upgrade at RT. Between Glenn and Kouandjio, we should have our bookends for a long time. Good value pick.

    3. Preston Brown: He played in all situations at Louisville and he's backing up a revamped LB corp. Depth is important and we've added a lot this off-season, especially at LB. He's depth, good depth, and we needed it badly.

    4. Ross Cockrell: I like this kid. He's got intangibles in spades. I like his size and his ball skills. We've not had great luck with corners in the mid-rounds when we thought we found some gems. I like this kid to finally break that spell. I think he'll be able to contribute rather quickly. And, once again, depth at a position where it was badly needed.

    5. Cyril Richardson: Is anyone else shocked that he fell this far? This could end up being the best value pick in the draft for us. I really have some hope for this kid. Big, snow plow of a OG. Really, really hoping this kid pans out. I expected him to go higher.

    6. Randell Johnson: Interesting pick. Could end up being valuable on special teams. Could end up being valuable OLB depth. Could end up being nothing. I really don't know what to expect here. I admittedly know very little about Johnson.

    7. Seantrel Henderson: Another OT who could end up being a huge value pick. Also surprised that he fell this far.

    Overall, I really like this draft. Add in Bryce Brown as RB depth and we've really improved both the talent and depth across the entire roster. My one big concern, of course, is Manuel and his ability to stay on the field. I'd have loved to pluck a guy like Aaron Murray out of this draft. If you look over the roster, I think our biggest area of weakness as far as depth and talent is at QB. If Manuel goes down, we're screwed. If Manuel can't be consistent and take another step in development, we're screwed. This season hinges on Manuel, and I don't like that.
    I don't get people being against the trade for Watkins. He is as close to a can't miss prospect as there was in this draft. If he turns out to be a top 10 receiver then it was well worth the pick.

    On the other hand Cyrus Kouandjio is gonna be a bust. I got to watch him plenty in college. He looks the part but thats about it.... Very overrated and consistently beat when up against other NFL talent.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    830
    vCash
    1500
    Don't get me wrong, I love Watkins. He is a leader with a solid Personality that this team pretty much has never had. I am just concerned with Manual. Watkins can be the best receiver that has ever lived, but without a QB who can throw him the ball, he is useless.

    Some people here really under estimate Knee Injuries or bad knees in General. Manual's 3 knee injuries last year is cause for concern. Look at Griffin in Washington, who was 100 x's better than Manual his rookie season. Gets hurt, even though he played last year, the knee slowed him down. He had trouble moving around, planting his leg and spent the entire year uncomfortable. Same with our 2nd round pick, despite what Andrews said, many teams who would have drafted him if he was healthy, didn't think he was a safe pick and wouldn't gamble on his Arthritic knees.

    In my opinion, for the future of the franchise, trading a number one pick for Watkins, then leaving this team to go all in on Manual without a backup will hurt us. Even if we go 6-10 next year again, we have no 1st round pick. Bridgewater and Manzel were late round picks this year. Next year, we will have no luxury of hoping a QB falls, because the pick is gone. If Manual struggles, Watkins will be stuck on a team with No QB for at least two years.

    And I know about the free agent signings. Even with one of the best defenses last year, we finished 6-10. Our defense made plays all year, caused turnovers and 3 and outs all the time. But we were still 6-10. As much as we love Watkins, do not forget, we still have Manuel throwing him the ball.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7,673
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I don't get people being against the trade for Watkins. He is as close to a can't miss prospect as there was in this draft. If he turns out to be a top 10 receiver then it was well worth the pick.

    On the other hand Cyrus Kouandjio is gonna be a bust. I got to watch him plenty in college. He looks the part but thats about it.... Very overrated and consistently beat when up against other NFL talent.
    Every year one player is dubbed the "safest pick in the draft." Sammy Watkins was that player this year. I had St. Louis sports talk radio on about an hour before the draft started and those guys were beating the Sammy Watkins drum hoping the Rams would take him at #2. He's going to be a star. There's no question. And the loss of the 1st to get him doesn't sting that much.

    1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    4,261
    vCash
    1500
    The loss of that 1st stings a lot. It's going to hurt next year. I like Watkins a lot, but there were other WR options. It's not even our biggest need. SJ is a pretty good receiver and we pretty much gave him away. The trade for Brown bothers me too. We gave up way too much. There was a real good chance he wasn't going to make the Eagles this year. There was too much depth ahead of him and we gave up a possible 3rd.

    Regardless of what people think, EJ is still a huge question mark. What do we do if he fails this year? We can't expect to get a QB next year with the loss of the 1st.

    I'm not saying we should have picked a QB this year, but this was the year to do so.

    I guess this draft leaves me scratching my head. Are the Bills front office people saying they felt like we were a WR away from the playoffs?

    Like I said before, there's plenty of teams with great WR's that aren't making the playoffs. There's plenty of teams that make the playoffs with average WR's. It all comes down to the QB. Watkins isn't like Calvin Johnson who can go get any ball.

    Again, I like Watkins, but I'm not so sure he gets us to the next level. Calvin Johnson isn't getting the Lions to the playoffs. I guess we'll see, but if we finish with another 6-7 win season, it'll be hard to justify that trade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •