Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who is the loose cannon?

I'll start this thread by prefacing that I am not demanding Wally Backman for manager, but I now find it ironic that Terry Collins has shot his mouth off 3 times this weekend at extremely likely the chagrin of the Front Office.

- Pushed for Montero to be brought up for Wednesday to replace Mejia in the rotation (The FO has clearly laid out the plan for Montero to the media the past couple weeks)
    - Restated that he wants to get more PAs for Eric Young, Jr. (Collins has been fighting for him all year against the FO)
    - Wants Familia as his closer (I've already gone over why this is very unlikely. Very few if any FO in baseball are pushing pre-arb guys into closer roles anymore)

Backman is down at AAA, keeping his mouth shut. Maintaining the front office philosophy. And now we have Collins (in addition to butchering decision after decision this past week) shooting from the hip against the Front Office about various things he wants when the criticism against Backman for so long was that he was a loose cannon who wouldn't be controllable.

Funny.

Based on Collins decisions this past week that have directly contributed to losses, he needs to just shut his trap or maybe he can just do us all a favor and quit like he did in his other two managerial stops.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 05-12-2014 at 09:50 AM.

vCash
    I am not a TC fan but credit to him for calling the baseball decisions as he sees them. Its his job to make these calls based on baseball considerations, not money considerations (which is SA's area). If he is going to take the fall (which is likely) it might as well be on the basis of his approach and not the front office's.

vCash
    Starting Eric Young Jr is a good baseball decision?

He should take the fall. He's been an atrocious game-day manager. Runs a nice clubhouse, but that's really not that difficult with this bunch. We have a plethora of high character guys so the idea that he gets some credit for maintaining clubhouse culture is a bit overblown as well.

I can't wait to see him gone so we can move forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Starting Eric Young Jr is a good baseball decision?

He should take the fall. He's been an atrocious game-day manager. Runs a nice clubhouse, but that's really not that difficult with this bunch. We have a plethora of high character guys so the idea that he gets some credit for maintaining clubhouse culture is a bit overblown as well.

I can't wait to see him gone so we can move forward.
    When your record is 15-11, I would say it is a good decision.

vCash
    Sandy is responsible for this clown being the manager, so if he won't fire him, fire Sandy too.

vCash
    Sandy is also responsible for the mess on the field, he should fire himself for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I am not a TC fan but credit to him for calling the baseball decisions as he sees them. Its his job to make these calls based on baseball considerations, not money considerations (which is SA's area). If he is going to take the fall (which is likely) it might as well be on the basis of his approach and not the front office's.
    I think you missed the part where I said I was not a TC fan (and I would not play EY nearly this much). I merely credit him for making his calls based on his view of the baseball merits and not on possible future payroll ramifications.

vCash
    Interesting thread. Addresses the concept of a manager expressing his own thoughts as opposed to toeing the company line. Back in the day, Davey Johnson was often at odds in expressing his needs which were often different from what hia bosses wanted to provide

His teams worked out fairly well.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-12-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I'm just going to sit back and watch Rome burn with regards to this thread.

I predict several heated exchanges unless people choose not to waste their time on reasons why Terry should or should not be fired less than a quarter of a season into the first year of his new contract.

Then again, maybe the point of this thread wasn't to start fights?

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    This thread.

"The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    This thread.

Your post. -1. Your defense of Collins horrible decision is nauseating.

vCash
    4 straight years of inept management by Sandy, but TC is responsible for all the Mets woes? Come on. Managers don't present a 15 game swing either way, and that's sadly what Sandy's teams would need to play October baseball.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Another urban myth is TC's managerial decision making. You play the hand you're dealt. Three plus years and the front office has produced two players Harvey and Wheeler that would make any other club, everyone else is doubtful to possible (Lagares/d'Arneau).

The only players signed from a level above bargain basement are C Young, Granderson and Colon, no FO help there either.

Putting the onus on TC is no different than blaming the sinking of the Titanic on the guy who sold the tickets.
    Before last night EYJ had played one game since the Mets were 15-11, the Mets lost 8 of 9 in that stretch.

Yea, I want to see EYJ playing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yogib8 View Post
    Another urban myth is TC's managerial decision making. You play the hand you're dealt. Three plus years and the front office has produced two players Harvey and Wheeler that would make any other club, everyone else is doubtful to possible (Lagares/d'Arneau).

The only players signed from a level above bargain basement are C Young, Granderson and Colon, no FO help there either.

Putting the onus on TC is no different than blaming the sinking of the Titanic on the guy who sold the tickets.
    Before last night EYJ had played one game since the Mets were 15-11, the Mets lost 8 of 9 in that stretch.

Yea, I want to see EYJ playing.
    There is no correlation there.

vCash
    EYJ plays... Mets win another game.

DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast