Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Grigson explains why he didn't draft a safety

Observers of the club targeted safety as a draft need entering the weekend. Both Grigson and Pagano said the pool was not deep enough to merit action.

“Everyone on the outside can’t really understand how this works. You don’t see the (draft) board (or) watch all the film,” said Grigson. “If there’s not the players there that you feel are good enough to pick, you can’t pick them. If the guys you’re looking at possibly drafting, if they’re almost the same as you have on your roster, it doesn’t make you better.

“There were a small handful of guys we felt we could get, it just didn’t happen. It was not a deep safety class. If there was a safety we liked, we would have (taken) one.”

Said Pagano, “We’ve got guys in-house. There will be great competition. You stick to the process and stay true to the board, don’t reach and fill a need when the value’s not there.”
    http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...7-0f0d6797a9b0

2nd round I wanted Brooks, 7th round I wanted Bailey. Didn't get either. Congrats Delano Howell being the starting Free Safety as of today.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants1213 View Post
    http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...7-0f0d6797a9b0

2nd round I wanted Brooks, 7th round I wanted Bailey. Didn't get either. Congrats Delano Howell being the starting Free Safety as of today.
    Once again Grigson is an idiot. So nobody was even good enough to be taken for depth!?

vCash
    The real problem with this draft is the lack of picks. I have no clue why we didnt go after Brooks in rd 2. There is absolutely nothing left at S now and we are going to have to sign a UDFA who will probably end up starting before too long. Pssh, is Ed Reed still playing? And we could have signed Bailey , if for depth perhaps, but he is on Seattle now. I guess Ty Zimmerman is the best option remaining? Other UDFAs I hope we sign are Marcus Robinson and Loucheiz Purifoy CBs Adrian Hubbard OLB and Jonotthan Harrison C

vCash
    they may pull off another trade at some point and I hope it isn't because they've been lit up and have to do it. I like the WR they got but how can they act like S isn't a need and WR was it kinda baffles me that they viewed it that way. I didn't want them to trade away another pk but it's just hard to believe there was no way to address what many consider a glaring need. They could possibly find an UDFA that can compete and contribute right away but from where we all sit it looks like Delano is our guy.

vCash
    Remember that players will be cut throughout the off season so it's very likely that the Colts can sign a safety with their 10+M in cap space
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Remember that players will be cut throughout the off season so it's very likely that the Colts can sign a safety with their 10+M in cap space
    Who is available at this point!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    Who is available at this point!?
    Right now? No one. Hopefully a decent vet gets cut during the pre-season.

Kerry Rhodes is available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thaShady View Post
    Right now? No one. Hopefully a decent vet gets cut during the pre-season.

Kerry Rhodes is available.
    I think a safety will find their way here after camp cuts. They still have plenty of money left to use. I am more concerned with Center than safety. If they whiff on center who is playing safety will not really matter that much.

vCash
    Essentially they are saying that the safety's that were available in the 2nd round were not any better than what we have on the roster, but there were better players available at other positions. If that is true, hopefully there are free agents that can provide depth and aren't that much of a drop-off in production.
    [

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyyo1900 View Post
    Essentially they are saying that the safety's that were available in the 2nd round were not any better than what we have on the roster, but there were better players available at other positions. If that is true, hopefully there are free agents that can provide depth and aren't that much of a drop-off in production.
    Yup...I really did like Howell last year, but he is an injury concern and so is Landry. We need at least 1 safety that can come in for both (which I hoped would be Howell after we added someone)...probably 2, because chances are that Landry will miss some time, and the verdict on Howell is still out so it may have just been a fluke or he may be injury prone. I'm just worried that Howell is the next Melvin Bullitt...a great backup and it doesn't get much better in relief at that safety position....but if he is the man and needs to stay healthy as a starter he can't.

vCash
    Id feel alot better with another solid safety for depth. Howell did do great last year so I have confidence that he will be ok but like matt said they have injury concerns so we need solid players to come in and play.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    I agree, if they didn't have Howell then I may feel differently but protecting Luck and giving him time to get the ball out and opening a gap for the RB, IMO, is the most important thing they need. I do feel S is a huge concern and if DH isn't working out they will have to do something and I really believe they will. I truly hope DH is "the guy" what we did see from his limited PT IMO was pretty good. Grigson has seemed to be able to make deals when necessary and there will be teams willing to make a trade at some point before or at the deadline lets just not trade away our 1st or 2nd pk this time.

vCash
    It's amazing to me that they're so confident that Howell will be great just because he had a good game in San Francisco... But If I remember right I think he was in for Landry not Bethea that game.
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    It's amazing to me that they're so confident that Howell will be great just because he had a good game in San Francisco... But If I remember right I think he was in for Landry not Bethea that game.
    It's amazing you sound ready to all but call him terrible before seeing what he can do. Would you prefer a 2nd or 3rd round pick with 0 good games in the NFL to him? I have my concerns about health, and would like to have seen at least someone brought in to battle...but other than Brooks I didn't see any standouts that would have been available to us. If we got a quality starting guard out of the deal would you be mad at not drafting a safety?

We also picked up Qua Cox who could be a candidate to switch to S as well as a Dewey McDonald who played small school ball but has the look and feel of a quality NFL player with size an speed..so there will be some competition. I remember wondering about a small school guy grabbed in the 6th round going into our superbowl season as well. Not saying that either of these guys are going to be Bethea...but who thought Bethea was going to be a pro bowler? I'm thinking we will see some competition for that S spot and that 4th CB spot as well with quite a few nice UFAs. I wouldn't have been mad if Baily had been one of those FAs or if we had taken him in the 7th....but I usually expect more out of a group of UFAs than 7th rounders anyway. They have more of a chip on their shoulder.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 05-16-2014 at 11:56 AM.

vCash
    I like Delano Howell, but I'm just questioning the Colts evaluation skills... judging a players talent level based off of one game.
    #3in5

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast