Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Panthers UDFA List

These are hard to confirm at this point, but I'll keep a list of names we're supposed to be signing/inviting for try outs:

Adarius Glanton, LB, Florida Atlantic
    Cody Stroud, QB, McNeese State
    Carrington Byndum, CB, Texas
    Philly Brown, WR, Ohio State
    Marcus Lucas, WR, Missouri
    Denicos Allen, OLB, Michigan State
    Jared Wheeler, OG/C, Miami FL
    Andrew Norwell, OG, Ohio State
    Darrin Reaves, RB/WR, UAB
    Alex Means, LB, Air Force
    Shaq Rowell, DT, WVU
    David Foucault, OG/OT, Carabins

Used Black and Blue Review to find these. Please post if you see another team that the Panthers are connected to.
    Last edited by homestarunner93; 05-12-2014 at 04:24 PM.

vCash
    HUGE fan of Denicos Allen. I think he's going to be the guy from our UDFA crop that we look back on in a couple of years and wonder how the hell that guy ever went undrafted. Byndom I think could be a guy that makes the roster, but we'll see. Philly Brown got a pretty large bonus ($15,000) for a UDFA, so clear that the Panthers expect him to push Tavares King and Marvin McNutt for a roster spot.

vCash
    Reading on Foucault, he could be really interesting. Lots of CFL speculation that he could be the top pick in their draft. He's 6'7''-6'8'' and between 305-320 pounds. At the very least, he's got a big frame and looks like he carries his weight pretty damn well. After the work our coaches have done developing UDFA guys like Byron Bell (well, not sure Bell is very developed, but that's another story) and Nate Chandler, he could end up being a very good pick up.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfVnkbFg5XU

Here's some video on Foucault if anyone cares to watch. After a quick watch on this, what I think about him:

Carries his weight really well. He's listed at 315 at the beginning of this video, and if that's accurate, looks to me like he could carry 15 or 20 more pounds and still have a solid build at tackle.

His team had him getting to the second level in run blocking quite a bit. He does a good job targeting and getting to linebackers in the run game. To me, that suggests solid to plus athleticism to the position.

His pass blocking looks like it could really use some work. His footwork is very inconsistent. He doesn't do a very good job of anchoring himself in pass pro, and it causes him to be susceptible to bull rushes from smaller defenders that he should frankly be manhandling. He does a solid job of at least keeping pass rushers in front of him, though.

vCash
    Foucault looks like he has a nastiness to him. I like that in an OL.

vCash
    Hopefully Foucault will be a steal.

vCash
    Added Adarius Glanton and Cody Stroud. Additionally, Noel Devine will tryout for the Panthers after his performance at the WVU pro day.

vCash
    Hopefully he'll stay with us, because he looks like a monster (though not against the best of opposing talent). I'd love to see what he could do after a season or two of NFL conditioning.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    I liked Noel Devine coming out of college. I think he has a hard time sticking on the roster, given that we already have Williams, Stewart, and Barner. (I don't think the guy we drafted has much of a shot either.)

vCash
    Foucault looks like he can play for sure. He has to get a lot stronger but the skill set it there. I like Marcus Lucas and Denocis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I liked Noel Devine coming out of college. I think he has a hard time sticking on the roster, given that we already have Williams, Stewart, and Barner. (I don't think the guy we drafted has much of a shot either.)
    I think Gaffney has a better shot of sticking than Barner, unless Barner lights it up in pre-season or Gaffney flops in pre-season. Stewart is going to be cut after 2015 and Tolbert is pushing 30, so I can see them trying to use Gaffney as a FB/pound the rock HB. It's possible we could IR one of them as well. But within two years, for sure be without Williams and Stewart, and depending on performance/pay, age, and desire to stay in Carolina, Tolbert might not be here too much longer than the other two given that he doesn't play traditional FB (though I think Tolbert will finish out his career here).

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    I doubt Devine sticks, but he could be a fun watch in the pre-season. Also, if Gaffney and Barner are fighting for one spot, I'm 90% certain that Gaffney beats him out. He's a much more useful player right now, and the ceiling on the two of them is about the same, really (although they're obviously far different players).

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    I think Gaffney has a better shot of sticking than Barner, unless Barner lights it up in pre-season or Gaffney flops in pre-season. Stewart is going to be cut after 2015 and Tolbert is pushing 30, so I can see them trying to use Gaffney as a FB/pound the rock HB. It's possible we could IR one of them as well. But within two years, for sure be without Williams and Stewart, and depending on performance/pay, age, and desire to stay in Carolina, Tolbert might not be here too much longer than the other two given that he doesn't play traditional FB (though I think Tolbert will finish out his career here).
    I'm with you, although Stewart getting cut after 2015 is a secondary concern. DeAngelo Williams is getting cut after 2014, in my opinion. Designating him as a June 1 cut, the Panthers could save like $3M on him next season. He will be 32 years old. I love De, but RBs after 30 are a risky proposition. Tolbert can save the team $2.4M without being a June 1 cut, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone as well.

Plus, the 2015 Draft Class is going to be LOADED at RB if the majority of the talented underclassmen declare. Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, TJ Yeldon, and Mike Davis are four guys who could have been the top RB in this year's class if they were eligible (or, in Gordon's case, if he had declared). If you end up with one of those guys, or another emerging talent, in the first two rounds, you're still in great shape at RB.

Obviously this is doing a lot of projecting and there is a long way to go, but don't think for a second that NFL teams don't have the future classes in mind when they make decisions. They certainly don't think on a purely year-to-year basis like some fans that can't fathom why we would draft Tyler Gaffney. The Panthers in 2015, should they choose to draft one of those stud RBs, would have a great backfield going forward with one of those guys, Stewart (for at least 2015), and one or both of Gaffney and Barner. And that's after you cut the two backs that carried the running game from this year's team that went 12-4.

vCash
    David Foucault was the 5th overall pick in the CFL Draft tonight. Interesting because players with NFL commitments tend to drop a little bit in the CFL Draft, but clearly that was not the case with Foucault.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    David Foucault was the 5th overall pick in the CFL Draft tonight. Interesting because players with NFL commitments tend to drop a little bit in the CFL Draft, but clearly that was not the case with Foucault.
    I just read that he was in the discussion for the first pick in the CFL draft. That is impressive.